Which Unmade Heisei film would've you liked to see?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Which Unmade Heisei film would've you liked to see?

Post by LegendZilla »

Had Godzilla Vs King Kong '91 had been made, we wouldn't have had to put up with the controversy surrounding GVKG with its time-travel. That's just one pro.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

While I am happy with the Heisei films we ended up with, I think a Bagan film would've been fun. I tend to favor Mothra vs. Bagan, always felt like we should've gotten it in the ROM trilogy as opposed to two Ghidorahs.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:39 pm Had Godzilla Vs King Kong '91 had been made, we wouldn't have had to put up with the controversy surrounding GVKG with its time-travel. That's just one pro.
What controversy? Fans needing help to understand the time travel isn't controversial its just bad pplot structure.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:39 pm Had Godzilla Vs King Kong '91 had been made, we wouldn't have had to put up with the controversy surrounding GVKG with its time-travel. That's just one pro.
What controversy? Fans needing help to understand the time travel isn't controversial its just bad plot structure.
Controversy driven from bad plot structure that is. Everyone won't have that to complain about anymore.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I don't think that the Godzilla Vs. King Kong'91 would've involved time travel like GVKG Kong's third act transformation, resurrection as a cyborg. The story going around about the pitch was a lady scientist into cybernetics was behind the cybernetic upgrade to Cyber-Kong. Although I wouldn't be surprised other elements that ended up being in King Ghidorah :KingGhidorah64: were from the original Kong pitch. Specifically the island where Kong is found. Maybe it was Kong that fought the U.S. troops, and saved Shindo's garrison. And Mr. Shindo always having a fascination, loyalty to his savior, is the one who funds the scientist's research that ends up resurrecting King Kong.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The One and Only wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:21 pm
Dv-218 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:04 am Probably the original idea for the last Heisei film with Varan. Always found the concept of reinventing him as an apocalyptic beast neat and somewhat in line with the "Baradagi" mythos in his debut film and I actually like the notion of a more optimistic and less tragic ending where Godzilla and Jr make peace with Humanity.

Also not gonna lie that it would have been intriguing to see the Heisei version of KKvG, especially that batshit insane detail about Kong being revived as a cyborg. Just visualising that is nuts lol.
When it comes to King Kong going mothertrucking cyborg. I always think of the Spawn frenemy Cy-Gor when it comes to Cyborg-Kong's appearance.
Seeing this Kong go against GhidoGoji would have been SICK, even in the 90's.

HoboBob
Yojimbo

Post by HoboBob »

Definitely "Mothra vs Bagan" for me. If Mothra had one film in the Heisei era before entering the Godzilla series, then I think "Godzilla vs Mothra" and "Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla" would have likely have had slightly better writing.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I just wish that Destoroyah had been Bagan, it could have been completely identical...just call it Bagan. "Destoroyah" is such an odd Kaiju name. It isn't "destroyer" because you can't copyright that. It isn't "destroyah" it is an even further removed "destoroyah"...which doesn't make much sense as to why a creature would, in-universe, be named a word that SOUNDS like a word such as 'destroyer' but is spelled in such an odd way.

Like, in universe it doesn't make sense to name a new monster spawned from the oxygen destroyer as "destoroyah"...its just an extra layer of odd.

Come up with any flimsy reason to call it "Bagan" and it would all be peachy, especially since Began is the greatest kaiju villain that never happened but Destoroyah essentially fulfills the same type of role.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:03 am I just wish that Destoroyah had been Bagan, it could have been completely identical...just call it Bagan. "Destoroyah" is such an odd Kaiju name. It isn't "destroyer" because you can't copyright that. It isn't "destroyah" it is an even further removed "destoroyah"...which doesn't make much sense as to why a creature would, in-universe, be named a word that SOUNDS like a word such as 'destroyer' but is spelled in such an odd way.

Like, in universe it doesn't make sense to name a new monster spawned from the oxygen destroyer as "destoroyah"...its just an extra layer of odd.

Come up with any flimsy reason to call it "Bagan" and it would all be peachy, especially since Began is the greatest kaiju villain that never happened but Destoroyah essentially fulfills the same type of role.
Well, the altered syllable at the end is consistent with a lot of monster names that are essentially just a real word with the last character changed to denote "monster name." As for the "desto" vs. "dest," there's no actual distinction there in the Japanese spelling, so it's basically just a bad bit of transliteration that's irrelevant to the monster's actual name.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

And the English dubbed version uses the name "Destroyer" (if not exclusively, then almost so).
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Sounds kind of like what Crispy is really upset about is the fact that being tied to the Oxygen Destroyer (to the extent that he's named after it) limits how often Destroyah can be used.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am Sounds kind of like what Crispy is really upset about is the fact that being tied to the Oxygen Destroyer (to the extent that he's named after it) limits how often Destroyah can be used.
The IDW comics have already proved Destroyah can work without the Oxygen Destroyer as an origin. Even if one is not fond of the comics, Godzilla cataclysm is widely praised and there's no oxygen destroyer in it while Destroyah gets to be the final antagonist kaiju. In rulers of earth, he's a bio engineered kaiju made by an ancient lost civilization.

As far as which unmade Heisei film, I love return of Godzilla but I would have loved seeing the variant where Godzilla faces the three fusion Bagan kaiju.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am Sounds kind of like what Crispy is really upset about is the fact that being tied to the Oxygen Destroyer (to the extent that he's named after it) limits how often Destroyah can be used.
Honestly I was just being much more petty and superficially annoyed by the name. Other Kaiju 'in universe' have some kind of unique name, while Destoroyah feels like an in-universe attempt to 'monster-ify' an actual word. It is ultra nit-picky, but I get it.

I just hate that so much "almost happened" went into Bagan only for them to go with a creature that was basically kinda-sorta the Bagan-like role without being called "Bagan"

As far as getting back on point in terms of the un-made Heisei film I would have liked to see....I actually would have loved to see the Heisei era be launched with a remake/update of the original film like it was initially planned at one point.

I think 30 years later the film was ripe for a remake/reboot, and I think a clean slate rebirth might have even helped it find a bit more success by having an easier barrier to entry, it might have helped the film translate a little better to the US market as well. It might have helped the Heisei era start off on a stronger, more successful foot and who knows what direction it might have gone in. We might have gotten a trio of films in the 80s and who knows what in the 90s.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Bagan sucks. Out of all the unmade Heisei ideas, Bagan is like bottom of the barrel at this point just because he's been turned into unmitigated fanwank.
Barubaroi was a cool story concept, but the one I really would have liked to see was Asuka Fortress. It's part of why I'm salty about City on the Edge of Battle- that would have made a great tagline for Godzilla vs Asuka Fortress!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:13 am Bagan sucks. Out of all the unmade Heisei ideas, Bagan is like bottom of the barrel at this point just because he's been turned into unmitigated fanwank.
Barubaroi was a cool story concept, but the one I really would have liked to see was Asuka Fortress. It's part of why I'm salty about City on the Edge of Battle- that would have made a great tagline for Godzilla vs Asuka Fortress!
If it had been any other kaiju from the cutting room floor in his position now, would you feel the same way?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:52 pm If it had been any other kaiju from the cutting room floor in his position now, would you feel the same way?
In whose position?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:15 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:52 pm If it had been any other kaiju from the cutting room floor in his position now, would you feel the same way?
In whose position?
Bagan's.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:13 am Barubaroi was a cool story concept
Also one of the very worst names. I understand the etymology (from the Greek for "Barbarian"), but can you imagine Rik Thomas and his voice actors laying that down on tape? I get Chrispy's point about the name "Destoroyah," but I'm thankful at least we got that over "Barubaroi."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:43 pm If it had been any other kaiju from the cutting room floor in [Bagan's] position now, would you feel the same way?
Oh, I see. Probably, yeah. Fans really zero in on some of these unused guys and take the cool out of the "what-if."
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm Also one of the very worst names. I understand the etymology (from the Greek for "Barbarian"), but can you imagine Rik Thomas and his voice actors laying that down on tape? I get Chrispy's point about the name "Destoroyah," but I'm thankful at least we got that over "Barubaroi."
Hell, it took me a few months to figure out how to speak it out loud. To be fair though, I'm more confident in Rik's vocal talents than my own. His is the voice of the golden god 🙏

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

I love the concepts behind practically every proposed follow-up to Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla, but I am unsure if any would have ended up any better than Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, which itself had some fantastic concepts but lackluster execution. So I'd probably go for one of the earlier unmade films instead, probably either Godzilla vs. Bagan 1991, or Mothra vs. Bagan. Maybe even Resurrection of Godzilla or Mothra vs. Godzilla 1990.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2: