Heisei kaiju you'd like to see re-appear

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Heisei kaiju you'd like to see re-appear

Post by JAGzilla »

The lack of origin and context is one of the biggest weaknesses of the IDW comics. All the writers are allowed to do is have monsters show up out of the blue, fight, and leave. Everything has to be vague.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Saying Destoroyah HAS to come from the oxygen destroyer and can't come from any other origin is like saying King Ghidorah has to be an alien and thus can never be a nuclear hybrid of 3 cute dragon pets from the future.

All it takes is one different iteration of the character to make the only current origin be delegated to 'the original origin'

Also...it doesn't have to be directly tied to G54 as a film. Hell, you could even introduce the Oxygen Destroyer in the SAME FILM that introduced Destroyah. It could be some weapon intended to kill Godzilla and used in the first act to create Destoroyah by the 2nd act.

It doesn't have to be born out of something that successfully killed Godzilla in a prior film. Just as DNA mixing with human/Godzilla/Plant DNA leads to Biollante...an "oxygen destroyer" weapon or experiment can lead to Destoroyah.

Hell, Godzilla vs Destoroyah itself already had a completely self contained origin with the "Micro Oxygen" story thread.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 pm The lack of origin and context is one of the biggest weaknesses of the IDW comics. All the writers are allowed to do is have monsters show up out of the blue, fight, and leave. Everything has to be vague.
Toho started allowing origins around Rulers of Earth and thus Destroyah got a bioengineering weapon origin. And to be fair, a good chunk of showa kaiju do not have much of origins originally or unknown. Why can't Destroyah have an unknown origin like Godzilla originally?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 pm Toho started allowing origins around Rulers of Earth and thus Destroyah got a bioengineering weapon origin. And to be fair, a good chunk of showa kaiju do not have much of origins originally or unknown. Why can't Destroyah have an unknown origin like Godzilla originally?
I suppose he could. There are definitely ways to pull that off. I am kind of hard on the IDW vagueness because it was mandated by Toho; the writers were forced to do things that way rather than doing it intentionally as a creative choice.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Here's an idea: Destroyah is the product of man trying to manipulate nature. A fish farming experiment is growing larger fish by way of a compound, but some of their fish escape. However, the experiment has a safety system. The compound leaves the fish unable to form certain nutrients necessary for life. They die outside the farm, but crustaceans eat the dead fish and rapidly grow and evolve because of the compound in the fish. Ultimately, the crustaceans will combine to form one huge creature called Destroyah. This origin pays reference to the micro-oxygen from G vs Destroyah, and still illustrates how man's science can come back to bite him.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.