GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
godjacob
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by godjacob »

Omegamorph wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:04 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm And having a fight would also help make it seem more like Godzilla.
yeah ain't godzilla if there's no monster WWE

1954, 1984, Shin never existed
I think his point was more having THIS version of Godzilla fight another monster would've made it feel more like Godzilla, since its solo film didn't.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Exactly. When most people or non-fans think of kaiju, they picture cities under attack or giant beasts in battle.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:21 pm Exactly. When most people or non-fans think of kaiju, they picture cities under attack or giant beasts in battle.
No, actually many non-fans find these movies stupid, not only because of the special effects, but because the movie wants the viewer to side with the monster. Nor am I going to criticize if human character matters vs people are here for the monsters. But I'll give you 3 examples: In the episode of Godzilla the Series, Talkin' Trash, Godzilla (If you want to call Gino/zilla junior) pushes the Nanotech Creature against warehouses. Character Randy starts to celebrate, but Monique says- Were you celebrating if there were people in that warehouse? It is a factor that is little explored in these films. The self I mean that Ultraman and Evangelion explore this theme better. Example Ultraman beat a kaiju, but people instead of celebrating look at him with fear, even someone from the army starts screaming, because the city is destroyed and people are dead and injured. Because ultraman doesn't measure the consequences or responsibility of his actions. And at the end of the ep Ultraman feels guilty. That's the difference with Godzilla. Yes, he's a force of nature, mixed with an atomic bomb, but he won't stop thinking about his actions. Give little that little public has no sympathy with the monster.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Brandon Tenold's review of GODZILLA. Which also happens to the man's 300th review.
Last edited by The One and Only on Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

I love this film its great entertainment its been over 20+ years and i have gotten over it why because it lead to one of the greatest incarnations of all time and that is of course Zilla Jr. This film reminds me of my childhood being a G-Fan growing up in the 90s when i started and it was near the peak of my fandom as well. I love this film there are so many things to uncover to this day after many years since its release.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

My thoughts on it remain the same. It's a bad movie on its own and an utterly pathetic excuse of a Godzilla movie. As bad as AMA and the G Earth trilogy are, G98 still reigns "supreme" as the worst Godzilla movie and the more I rewatch it and learn about the behind the scenes drama, the angrier I get at it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

On a plus, the film could be worse. It could be on the same level as the Yongary remake Reptilian.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

I'm reading some of the trivia for this film on the main site.

Good heavens, the cringe. The fellows in charge had some kaiju-sized egos.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Follinollante wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:05 pm I'm reading some of the trivia for this film on the main site.

Good heavens, the cringe. The fellows in charge had some kaiju-sized egos.
While the saying “nobody is set out to make a bad film” is true, I feel like G98 is a major almost exception to this statement. The more I read about the production history and the more I look at how the final work actually ended up being, it feels like a softcore “spite” project for all intents and purposes stemming from Emmerich’s combined frustration of not getting to do Armageddon and the idea that the sole reason he should do Godzilla is to show its original creators “how it should be done”. Peppered with studio pressure from Sony and their complete mishandling of the property on the top of course.

This absolutely doesn’t apply to the crew who worked on the set, design and effects- they did what they could and with what they had, and did it relatively well. But the intent just reeks of masturbatory egocentrism, one that bit Emmerich and Devlin in the ass well enough.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 am This absolutely doesn’t apply to the crew who worked on the set, design and effects- they did what they could and with what they had, and did it relatively well.
This is an important point that rarely gets brought up in the rush to condemn this movie. The problems were with the higher-ups, the grunts on the ground were just following orders and doing the best job they could. And they did a pretty solid job at times. Fans like to bash the CGI from a modern viewpoint, but it wasn't bad for the time. CGI of any kind was still new and impressive in 1998. I remember my dad pointing out little things like Godzilla's tail knocking individual bricks out of the building facades and talking about how you couldn't be that subtle with the traditional effects.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:04 am
Dv-218 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 am This absolutely doesn’t apply to the crew who worked on the set, design and effects- they did what they could and with what they had, and did it relatively well.
This is an important point that rarely gets brought up in the rush to condemn this movie. The problems were with the higher-ups, the grunts on the ground were just following orders and doing the best job they could. And they did a pretty solid job at times. Fans like to bash the CGI from a modern viewpoint, but it wasn't bad for the time. CGI of any kind was still new and impressive in 1998. I remember my dad pointing out little things like Godzilla's tail knocking individual bricks out of the building facades and talking about how you couldn't be that subtle with the traditional effects.
Absolutely. In the end of the day the crew still has genuine passion for what they do direction aside, and they spend considerable time working on it as well. Wasn’t really Patrick’s fault that the only directions Emmerich gave him were “make le lizard fast and sexy”, nor the CGI animators for the quality at the time and the way the creature was utilized in its shots.
The handywork was there, they were just given godawful building material.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I can never and will never like this film. Main reason? Because I know Emmerich thought hardcore Godzilla fans were idiots and he thought he could do that movie better than what was done before. So fuck him and fuck his movie.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:21 am I can never and will never like this film. Main reason? Because I know Emmerich thought hardcore Godzilla fans were idiots and he thought he could do that movie better than what was done before. So fuck him and fuck his movie.
I feel you. I can't bring myself to appreciate the products of a total dick, no matter how good said products may be.
Although, to be fair, I don't know anything about this guy other than what's in the TK trivia section of this movie.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

Hated it in 1998. With each viewing (4 in my life) I slowly warmed up to it. I went from abhorring it to being indifferent to actually being entertained by it for at least the first half. Will always be GINO, and a product of 1990s overbudgeted overhyped Hollywood. I feel it deconstructed Godzilla in a bad way by being too "realistic" and disrespected the source material. But did a decent job to appeal to casual movie goers in America, more so than 1985, but less than 2014. Entertaining popcorn blockbuster, easier to watch than Shin IMHO.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

In other news, this movie appears to be getting a 4K release. As much as a kaiju media collector I am, I am passing on this for the foreseeable future.
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

wireframemonsters
Ronin

Post by wireframemonsters »

I only buy this movie used.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MogeGoji1994 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:34 pm In other news, this movie appears to be getting a 4K release. As much as a kaiju media collector I am, I am passing on this for the foreseeable future.
It’s had a 4K release for a couple years now. The new thing coming out is just an anniversary steelbook.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ninja'd, but there's already a 4K. This new release is a steelbook. The same disk in new packaging, I assume? I'll pick it up. I don't own this movie, and that does need to be rectified at some point. As, um, imperfect as it was, it's still a fun watch that I have a lot of nostalgia for, and I've come to appreciate the things it does well.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just watched this with my girlfriend. The first things she said when seeing Godzilla's new design:

"Ew"
"Now I know why you call it Godzilla in Name Only"
"It's like a completely different character"

This is actually the first Godzilla movie I watched. I was 10 years old at the time. I gotta say there are aspects of this that aren't totally terrible but my god it really just has such bad writing, terrible acting and in no way justifies its 2 hour 20 minute running time.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I partially blame D&E but it's not completely 100% their fault. Biggest is the studio was so intent on keeping Godzilla's design a secret they wouldn't allow them to do a single test screening. Even Devlin has somewhat come to disown the film. It's the only film they did where they weren't able to do rewrites or reshoots. It's noticeable too. It's not their worst film but was a noticeable step down from Stargate and Independence Day.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983