Hesiei Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hesiei Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

Post by eabaker »

20th Century Boy wrote:Having recently seen some Heisei movies over the past two months, I can update my list:

1. Godzilla vs. Biollante
2. Return of Godzilla

[Narrow margin]

3. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

[Wide margin]

4. Godzilla vs. Destroyah
5. Godzilla vs. Mothra
6. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
7. Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Yeah, that makes a great deal of sense to me. Especially the margins. :-)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

eabaker wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:Having recently seen some Heisei movies over the past two months, I can update my list:

2. Return of Godzilla

[Narrow margin]

3. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

[Wide margin]

4. Godzilla vs. Destroyah
5. Godzilla vs. Mothra
6. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
7. Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Yeah, that makes a great deal of sense to me. Especially the margins. :-)
Pretty much the same here, just move Mothra to the absolute bottom of the list. Great idea, boring and terrible execution. SpaceGodzilla is only better for me liking SpaceGodzilla himself so much and the hilarious trainwreck the film itself is.
PSN: soilsongs

G_Man
Samurai

Post by G_Man »

1. Return Of Godzilla
2./ 3. Godzilla vs Biollante/Godzilla vs Destroyah (more towards Biollante)
4. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
5. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II
6 / 7. Godzilla vs Mothra/Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (both suck )
"You break my record, now I break you"

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

#1: Godzilla vs. Biollante

#2: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

#3: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

#4: Return of Godzilla

#5: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

#5: Godzilla vs. Mothra

#6: Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

1. Godzilla vs Biollante
2. G v KG
3. Return of Godzilla
4. Godzilla v MGII
5. Godzilla v Battra
6. G v Desotroyah
7. G v SG

Changed it up a bit.
Last edited by goji89 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs Mothra
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:38 pm Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla vs Mothra
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
I generally think of myself as a vs Mothra defender, but even I wouldn't rank it that high! I'm curious what it is you particularly like about it.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Godzilla vs Destroyah
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II

Godzilla vs Biollante

I love my top 4. I have not seen SpaceGodzilla in a while, I will need to give that film a rewatch soon. I recently rewatched Ghidorah and Biollante to see if I liked them any better now. I do not, I could not even finish Biollante. From what I remember, SpaceGodzilla is a worse film than Ghidorah and Biollante, but more fun to watch.

If I were to include the Gamera and Mothra Heisei films:

Gamera Guardian of the Universe
Godzilla vs Destroyah
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II
Gamera Attack of Legion

Rebirth of Mothra II
Godzilla vs Biollante
Gamera 3: Revenge of Irys
Rebirth of Mothra (I could not even finish this one)

And you do not even want to know where I would put Godzilla 98! (I love that film)
Last edited by Anguirus on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

2. The Return of Godzilla
3. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
4. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
5. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
6. Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth
7. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Godzilla vs Biollante
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

Godzilla vs Destroyah
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:59 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:38 pm Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla vs Mothra
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
I generally think of myself as a vs Mothra defender, but even I wouldn't rank it that high! I'm curious what it is you particularly like about it.
For one thing, it's the only Heisei Series movie with a rope suspension bride collapse. :P

RoG is a well made film but I don't really enjoy it a whole lot. IMO, Biollante is the clear-cut best film of the Heisei Series; I think all the other Heisei films (even King Ghidorah, which you know I love) are on pretty even footing. Of those, Godzilla vs Mothra is the one I (slightly) favor.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

1. The Return of Godzilla
2. Godzilla Vs Destoroyah
3. Godzilla Vs Spacegodzilla
4. Godzilla & Mothra TBFE
5. Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah
6. Godzilla Vs Biollante
7. Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla 2

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

1. Return of Godzilla
2. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
5. Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
6. Godzilla vs. Destroyah
7. Godzilla vs. Mothra
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Good question. My favourite era of Godzilla movies...

1.Godzilla vs Biollante (watched over 20 times)
2.Godzilla 1985 (watched over 20 times)
3.Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II (watched over 10 times)
4.Godzilla vs Destroyer (watched over 10 times)
5.Godzilla vs Space-Godzilla (watched over 10 times)
6.Godzilla vs Mothra 1992 (watched over 10 times)
7.Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (watched over 20 times)

But I would say there is no weak movie in this series at all.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

After rewatching them all yet again recently, this will prove even more difficult before as a couple of them have even shot up my overall franchise ranking too, more than one is in my top 5 out of all of them. I believe it’s very clear that the Heisei era is the most consistent and best era of Japanese Godzilla, despite some minor imperfections.

1. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - Big G and Destoroyah both look phenomenal, maybe Akira Ifukube’s best work, decent human characters, resonate emotional impact between Godzilla and Junior that gets me, intense final battle with Godzilla ultimately mortally wounding Destoroyah and watching him die before dying himself, just such a good sad but fulfilling arc for the Heisei version of Godzilla. To me a clear and successful pinnacle of the entire franchise.

2. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II - Personally always loved the bulkier Godzilla suit, Rodan’s redesign is an upgrade (although still a little stiff at times) and while not my favorite MechaG design I think it fits for the 90’s. I enjoy the plot here and the humans are solid. I’d say this, Biollante, Destoroyah & the Spacegodzilla final battle have the best effects of the era. Baby’s Heisei reinterpretation and Big G sensing him came across nicely. The fights are some of the very best of the era as although there are beam wars, there’s also a lot of physical strikes too which is somewhat rare for Heisei not to mention some blood including strangling Rodan and how violent it looked when they injected into Godzilla for his second brain which adds some sense of uncertainty, along with Godzilla getting to toss MechaG around eventually. Alongside Destoroyah this is Akira Ifukube’s best work and the best use of the iconic Godzilla theme when he is revived (along with G2K, KotM 2019 remix, etc).

3. Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla - This film is bashed way too harshly by people on here. The effects are mostly on par with the rest of the era, even the Spacegodzilla and Moguera fight in space was rushed production wise..it’s like people are unaware of some of the challenges. Also honestly the final battle between Spacegodzilla, Godzilla and Moguera looks pretty damn good and holds a lot of entertainment value. I will admit the Showa style lighter tone they went for doesn’t always work and it’s frustrating that they cut Big G trying to bust Baby out because it was “too serious” but at least we still got him trying to cover Baby when Spacegodzilla first showed up raining down beams. Once again I love this bulkier Godzilla suit personally even with the adjustments after MGII and Spacegodzilla looks very very good. I will say Akira Yuki’s attempted assault on the beach felt moronic even if he was blind with vengeance (though I like the personal tie back to Biollante) and it definitely went on too long, but will say that he was one of the more interesting characters in the series. However the movie really rebounds after that and becomes very enjoyable through the end. For me a much more exciting and engaging pacing then a couple of the more “favorite” ones on here below it for me.

4. Godzilla vs. Biollante - While I really like this movie there’s only a handful of things that really stand out about it to me, luckily those are great things. The 89’ Godzilla suit is one of the best and from an effects standpoint Biollante’s final form is still one of the best achievements of the franchise and finally the final fight is violent and memorable though I would say a little too short but not quite enough to be disappointing thankfully. The human plot is okay but I didn’t really care for the assassin/James Bond aspect of it, was kinda silly and not something they should have tried to pull off unless they know they had it.

5. Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth - I’ve warmed to this one a bit in recent years. The Godzilla suit isn’t the best or the worst, you can tell it’s a little more cheaply made at times but once again there are worse and it looks better later in the movie. Mothra is alright but definitely too fluffy or plastic looking however Battra as both a larvae and flying adult looks very solid. The human plot and characters while silly is still more fun than a lot of them. The battles in this are pretty decent as well despite some frustration with humans always thinking Godzilla simply being taken to sea again is any real victory at all. I like that there was losses on both sends, Godzilla killing Battra was a good F U to af least have something go in the Big G’s favor. Also gotta say that Godzilla’s emergence from the Earth’s crust through the volcano is such an excellent moment and better than it was in Biollante.

6. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - This used to be one of my all time favorites but upon another recent rewatch I was less enthused. There are still some great moments here like one of the most iconic shots in the franchise of Godzilla’s face coming over the hill, the 91’ suit deserving the praise it gets and some nice moments from the regular King Ghidorah battle plus I am fine with the Heisei Godzilla origin we get in this. However the pacing is a little jumpy for me and the futurians plot is a slog with weird American casting not to mention the cheap Terminator rip off with the Android and the laughable chase scene on the road.

7. The Return of Godzilla - I know wtf am I thinking right? This one at the bottom? I give it a lot of credit it was a very good and fitting return to form for a new serious take on Godzilla but there are just things about it that I think are a little overrated personally. The suit while distinguished looks odd with the fangs and the head shape I don’t really care for. I appreciate them going back to basics with a Godzilla vs. military story but it gets sort of dull for me, the Super X isn’t all that entertaining of an adversary and him just being baited to literally walk into a volcano at the end is a little dumb and facepalm worthy. The destruction scenes though are very good and the mood more well realized than many others. I know this is critically probably better than a couple above it but for me entertainment comes first and this just isn’t one I feel like going back to a lot unless I am watching in order like I have been again recently.
Last edited by GodzillaDude on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

7. SpaceGodzilla
6. Battle for Earth
5. Return
4. Destoroyah
3. Mechagodzilla 2
2. Biollante
1. King Ghidorah
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Trying to be as objective as possible here (if we're playing personal favorites, Destoroyah gets first place primarily out of nostalgia and love for its good moments.)

2. Godzilla vs Biollante

(Wide margin)

3. Godzilla vs Destoroyah

(Narrow margin)

4. Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth

(Narrow margin)

5. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2
6. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
7. Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

The first two represent some of the best films in the series; both of them are films I consider to be Top 10 material.

The middle two are... mediocre entries; nothing terribly bad about them, but their often significant flaws keep them from joining the greats.

The latter three are all Bottom 10 material, even with the anime trilogy included. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla are in particular some of the worst the series has to offer.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

2. Godzilla vs Destoroyah
3. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
4. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II
5. Godzilla vs Biollante
6. Godizilla vs Mothra: The Battle for Earth
7. Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
Last edited by TheRealSpinoRex on Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.