Favorite Heisei Godzilla Suit/Design?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Favorite Heisei Godzilla Suit/Design?

84Goji (Return of Godzilla, 1984)
18%
BioGoji (Godzilla vs. Biollante, 1989)
39%
GhidoGoji (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, 1991)
20%
BatoGoji (Godzilla vs. Mothra, 1992)
No votes
RadoGoji (Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, 1993)
10%
MogeGoji (Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla, 1994)
8%
DesuGoji (Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, 1995)
6%

Total votes: 51

goji89
Sazer

Re: Favorite Heisei Godzilla Suit/Design?

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:52 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:48 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:38 pm Im surprised that the 89 suit is winning when the 91 version improves on it in almost every way.
Don't be. It placed 2nd in the TK polls not long ago.

And we all know that the TK polls speak for the entire Godzilla fandom.
I also posted a Godzilla design Strawpoll on Reddit where BioGoji also got second place.

https://strawpoll.com/zzpxc9ofb

Looks like a sign to me. :P
:lol:

Freaking niiiice!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I will one-up and do a ranking of the suits from favorite to least:

1) Ghidi-Goji: one if my top three Godzilla suits ever along with King-Goji and 2000. Always frightened me a little bit growing up for its ferocious looks and roar. I personally think this improves on Bio-Goji and the added heft gave Godzilla a more intimidating presence to go along with the a Monstrous opponent like King Ghidorah. Love this one.

2) Moge-Goji: Spacegodzilla was one of my favorite movies growing up and I still have a lot of sentimentality for it. I would say that this design is a pretty neutral look for the Heisei Godzilla that doesn't have some of the decisive design traits that other suits have, especially the head.

3) Desu-Goji: basically Moge-Goji with lights

4) Bio-Goji: I can see why people love this design and it of course impacted all other Heisei designs to follow. As I get older it grows on me more. If I liked the movie more, it may have ranked higher for me. The final battle with Biollante always leaves me wanting more and as such I don't have the the regard for this iteration as the previous three.

5) 84-Goji: I loved this one as a kid, but as I rewatch thr movie every few years, the awkward transition of Showa to Heisei effects is always apparent to me. The derpy eyes in particular cheapen the look for me. In my opinion, I think merch for the 84 design has made it better than what it really is. I really like some of the ideas that this suit brings, but I don't think that it was executed well.

6) Rado-Goji: don't really have any strong feelings towards this design. I am a bit indifferent about it. Better than Bato-Goji but not as good as Moge-Goji. Middle of the pack.

7) Bato-Goji: the only Heisei suit I honestly dislike. Rewatched this movie recently and the angry cat-like face with the short snout really annoys me. Should have used the Ghido-Goji suit for more scenes in the movie.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

For me, Bio-Goji is the best that Godzilla has ever looked. It had the massive bulk and commanding screen presence I want for Godzilla.

2nd fav is Desu-Goji as the Burning Godzilla look has become so iconic in Godzilla's history.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

84/85 Goji for me. Scariest one of them for sure. The animatronic head looks fierce, and shows damn near hatred pretty freakin' well!
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’m also on the ‘84 bandwagon. Have always loved that suit. It’s my favorite Godzilla design. I like the really long tail, the larger and more proportionate head, the largest fin being lower on the back, the fangs. It just works in all the right ways for me.

I’ll admit I do also love the 89/91 suit(s). I’d be hard pressed to pick one over the other as I like them both a lot.

DesuGoji is also a great look for obvious reasons.

The only Heisei suit I don’t particularly like is RadoGoji. The legs look too long and the tail attaches too high making it look awkward and top heavy.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

1991 easily.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

84 might be my favorite. I always liked how the larger fins were further down the back.

All these years later though Bio is still probably *the* definitive all-purpose Godzilla design.

Bato was the last design that seemed evenly proportioned to me and is a bit underrated.

Rado and Moge especially was when he started looking a little too chunky.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:35 am 1991 easily.
You know, I still love the ‘84. And I’ve always liked the ‘91 but in the last year or so it’s been really growing on me for some reason. Not ready to call it yet but it’s fast becoming one of my very favorites.

Cyberdra_1
Ronin

Post by Cyberdra_1 »

The idea that a freakin' BURNING GODZILLA is essentially dead last in this poll is nothing short of a crime against all things good and decent.

My vote goes to Desugoji obviously.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Cyberdra_1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:29 pmThe idea that a freakin' BURNING GODZILLA is essentially dead last in this poll is nothing short of a crime against all things good and decent

*fart noise*

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

You know, back in the 2000s I was sick of the Heisei Godzilla design just because it was everywhere. Toho made it the de facto image for Godzilla and I wanted to see other versions used in licensing. Now that we've got some distance from that time and I have some perspective I have to admit; Heisei Godzilla is an incredibly strong look. In fact, I'd say it's one of the most iconically designed monster costumes of all time, comparable with the Gill Man in the original Alien.

... so I gotta give it to Bio, because it's the premiere of the design and even though the next film might have slight improvements it's still just minor modification to the same suit. That being said, I feel like all the more impactful tweaks made in further films make the design weaker in certain ways. It remains an iconic design, but it never looks quite as good as those first two movies.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:54 pm You know, back in the 2000s I was sick of the Heisei Godzilla design just because it was everywhere. Toho made it the de facto image for Godzilla and I wanted to see other versions used in licensing. Now that we've got some distance from that time and I have some perspective I have to admit; Heisei Godzilla is an incredibly strong look. In fact, I'd say it's one of the most iconically designed monster costumes of all time, comparable with the Gill Man in the original Alien.

... so I gotta give it to Bio, because it's the premiere of the design and even though the next film might have slight improvements it's still just minor modification to the same suit. That being said, I feel like all the more impactful tweaks made in further films make the design weaker in certain ways. It remains an iconic design, but it never looks quite as good as those first two movies.
Did you mean to say "...the Gill Man in the original Creature from the Black Lagoon." or "...the Xenomorph in the original Alien."? I'm confused here.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Ah, yes! That should be 'or,' not 'in.'

The Gill Man or the original Alien
Last edited by Angilasman on Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:47 pm ^ Ah, yes! That should be 'or,' not 'in.'

The Gill Man or the original Alien
Okay, thanks! That clears that up.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The 92 suit isn't one of my personal favs but WOW he got no clout, no love, and no b*tches in that poll :lol: He really became the Absolute Zero.

I picked the 84 suit, I adore the simplicity. All the other Heisei designs are great, they truly are. However that '84 design is just something we don't get nowadays, ya know? Yes the main Heisei look is still used for marketing, especially if that GigaBash crossover is anything to go by, and the Final Wars suit does sort of fit the "traditional" bill well (FW I am very nostalgic for at this point, that suit is like seeing an old friend). But the 84 look is a perfect transition between the Showa qualities and the main Heisei design. I think that blend coupled with how gigantic he felt in the film sold it for me. Or how in the film he is portrayed as this mix of apocalyptic, wandering silently, and tragic being that makes that blend even better.

Like, if we actually got a new Godzilla game and Heisei was playable with his alternate suits, I would definitely pick 84.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

This is sort of hard for me. I don't really have a lone favorite.

Ghido-Goji was traditionally my favorite because Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was a foundational film for me, but I also like that Bio-Goji is a little more slimmed down, similar to my fondness for the '55 and '04 suits, which also both look like slimmed down versions of previous successful designs.

The '84 design is underrated and I love seeing the merchandise for it, but it feels like it isn't done justice in the film it's used for. I do like that it is a modern design with a fairly large head, whereas most modern designs seem to make his head smaller and smaller...

Burning Godzilla is iconic but it's on a whole different level than comparing suits.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Over time I’ve grown more to like the 92-95 suits a lot more than previously. Not sure if I like them more than 89/91 but it’s still something.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:02 pm
Cyberdra_1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:29 pmThe idea that a freakin' BURNING GODZILLA is essentially dead last in this poll is nothing short of a crime against all things good and decent

*fart noise*
Destoroyah’s “reaction” has me rolling. It’s like he’s going “HEY, WHAT THE FUCK, MAN?!” :lol:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image