Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #19: Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)

Post by edgaguirus »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am

I just feel like a lot of fans act like this movie did a drive-by on them while running over their pets, when I just found it inoffensive and alright.
I feel the same. It's lacking in overall quality, but has a few small successes.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

The Killer Meteor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:08 pm One thing that stands out in GvM'92 is the AWFUL performance by the actor who plays the silver haired politician Tabashi.
The character's name is Dobashi, and the actor is Akiji Kobayashi.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Futurian

Post by Voyager »

This is my definitive ‘meh’ Godzilla movie.
[Tierkiller-Panzer] [Mechagodzilla]
“We fight today so you can see tomorrow”

godjacob
Gotengo Officer

Post by godjacob »

This movie suffers from sever identity crisis. Even before I knew the behind the scenes stuff, I member thinking just what was this movie?

Was it a Mothra remake? Was it a Godzilla vs. Mothra movie? Godzilla vs. Battra? Battra vs. Mothra? It seemed to shapeshift into all of them constantly it gave me a headache.

The Killer Meteor
Yojimbo

Post by The Killer Meteor »

If Godzilla vs Hedorah follows Silent Spring, this follows Ferngully.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Killer Meteor wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 am If Godzilla vs Hedorah follows Silent Spring, this follows Ferngully.
I think Ferngully is better compared to Rebirth of Mothra.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

shadowgigan
G-Grasper

Post by shadowgigan »

This film has a fantastic, underrated score. Really makes Mothra seem...ethereal.
>>>Vote for BioGoji<<<

HEISEI WON. THE ELECTION WAS RIGGED. I DEMAND A RECOUNT.

Shoopwoop17
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

The score was definitely fantastic. I found this movie overall enjoyable. Didn't like it as much as vs. King Ghidorah or vs. Mechagodzilla II, but it was fun. I really like Mothra's portrayal in it. I know the plush design for her Imago form is unpopular, but the metamorphosis scene was really well done. Though I found it funny that, when she drops Godzilla, it almost seems like she is murdering Battra as well. This may be my least favorite '90s Godzilla suit. His face just looks off compared to what came before and what comes after. The March sounded really good though.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

AK Siwach
Monsterland Worker

Post by AK Siwach »

This is definitely the weakest link in the Heisei series. Godzilla is first in the title but is barely in the movie. It's even like the movie forgot about Godzilla once he is dropped in the water. They didn't even mention him.

Best video on Youtube. No ifs, ands, or buts! :g2k:

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, when Mothra drops Battra, the black Mothra is already dead. Battra's eyes had lost their luster.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

shadowgigan
G-Grasper

Post by shadowgigan »

Yeah, this is another Heisei movie you can basically throw in the "what could have been" bin. I don't think they did enough with Mothra/Battra's lore. The film seems like it tries to establish some cool plot devices but never really delivers on any of them. It harkens back to aspects Mothra and vs. Godzilla but is less successful than those films in accomplishing its goals. It's strange because while I don't think this film has a ton going on with it, I still think it has too much...to the point where it just seems like a bunch of random plot aspects stitched together by a drunken storyboarder in some attempt to put forth a coherent story.
>>>Vote for BioGoji<<<

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 am Yeah, this is another Heisei movie you can basically throw in the "what could have been" bin. I don't think they did enough with Mothra/Battra's lore. The film seems like it tries to establish some cool plot devices but never really delivers on any of them. It harkens back to aspects Mothra and vs. Godzilla but is less successful than those films in accomplishing its goals.
This movie and the past ones all touch on the greed aspect of man. In this film, it seems more an extension of the heavy handed environmental message: Humans will destroy or abuse anything as long as they profit from it.

shadowgigan
G-Grasper

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:40 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 am Yeah, this is another Heisei movie you can basically throw in the "what could have been" bin. I don't think they did enough with Mothra/Battra's lore. The film seems like it tries to establish some cool plot devices but never really delivers on any of them. It harkens back to aspects Mothra and vs. Godzilla but is less successful than those films in accomplishing its goals.
This movie and the past ones all touch on the greed aspect of man. In this film, it seems more an extension of the heavy handed environmental message: Humans will destroy or abuse anything as long as they profit from it.
I get that but I felt like other Godzilla films have already touched upon that with greater success. Although the theme is obviously present, it doesn't have much weight to it, in terms of how its conveyed. At least in my opinion.
>>>Vote for BioGoji<<<