GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by attilagodzilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
attilagodzilla wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 am But if I am honest it does include 1 of my favorite scenes in kaiju movies
Which scene is that?
The scene where mayor Ebert Is holding a speech and you slowly hear godzilla's footsteps coming closer and see vehicles bopping up and down then you see dust with two large fins coming out of it and hear Godzilla's roar.
I just love the build up there it's actually pretty tense. And it always manages to impress me. Even though besides that the movie is pretty mediocre.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly really like the scene where Godzilla was shaking the truck and you see his teeth just burst into the insides of it. Thst was a pretty neat shot NGL.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

attilagodzilla wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 am
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
attilagodzilla wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:29 am But if I am honest it does include 1 of my favorite scenes in kaiju movies
Which scene is that?
The scene where mayor Ebert Is holding a speech and you slowly hear godzilla's footsteps coming closer and see vehicles bopping up and down then you see dust with two large fins coming out of it and hear Godzilla's roar.
I just love the build up there it's actually pretty tense. And it always manages to impress me. Even though besides that the movie is pretty mediocre.
Gigantis wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:22 am I honestly really like the scene where Godzilla was shaking the truck and you see his teeth just burst into the insides of it. Thst was a pretty neat shot NGL.
There's definitely some good shots in the film; Unfortunately, much as I love this film, the good parts don't quite outweigh all of the bad. But I do think there are some really solid shots, especially where Practical FX are involved.

Zasraniec
Monsterland Worker

Post by Zasraniec »

There are definitely some good moments in this movie. I thought the whole Mayor Ebert and his advisor Gene were pretty clever and funny. The resemblance is also spot-on. There are some good shots and even CG shots although they are obviously disguised by the rain and urban setting. While "Godzilla" is very UnGodzilla I do like his character and how he is certainly a global threat. He is kind of like a kaiju version of Batman. He doesn't have any real powers but can still be a deadly threat with his wits and ambushes. Of course his offspring could be a huge threat if given the time to reproduce and basically conquered the world.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Zasraniec wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm There are definitely some good moments in this movie. I thought the whole Mayor Ebert and his advisor Gene were pretty clever and funny. The resemblance is also spot-on. There are some good shots and even CG shots although they are obviously disguised by the rain and urban setting. While "Godzilla" is very UnGodzilla I do like his character and how he is certainly a global threat. He is kind of like a kaiju version of Batman. He doesn't have any real powers but can still be a deadly threat with his wits and ambushes. Of course his offspring could be a huge threat if given the time to reproduce and basically conquered the world.
Like in Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse, where the 'Zillas' overrun a good portion of Southern Europe, and if I remember correctly (and there's some debate as to its credibility) they WEREN'T actually entirely wiped out; Some of them still lived in the 'zoned off areas'.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Growing up in the UK meant I really only had access to this movie as a child - but it was one of my favourites, and I still absolutely love the design of Zilla.

Without it I doubt I'd be the fan of the series I am today.

But is it a good Godzilla movie? No, not at all - and the directors never intended it to be.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Mechabrozilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm Growing up in the UK meant I really only had access to this movie as a child - but it was one of my favourites, and I still absolutely love the design of Zilla.

But is it a good Godzilla movie? No, not at all - and the directors never intended it to be.
Sad but true. I mean, heck, I've defended this film and the monster, but everything I like about it can be counted on maybe two hands tops.

Pros
1. The opening scenes/early scenes (i.e Diet Godzilla attacking the boats, the infamous 'Gojira' scene, the footprints in Panama)

2. The 11 minutes where Godzilla actually appears (attacking the boats, making landfall, fighting the military, the final chase)

3. The design of the monster, and the practical FX (later includes the CGI when they touch it up in the BLU-Ray releases and stuff)

4. Like, the two or three actually decent human characters who aren't infuriating (Philippe Roache, Animal, General Hicks, Elsie Chapman)

5. A few of the jokes are stupid, but kinda funny and got a chuckle out of me.

Cons:
1. Literally everything else in the movie.

And I say this as a staunch FAN of GODZILLA 1998, but the movie was not great. Like, at all.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Am I crazy for still getting really sad at the end when Godzilla dies?
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

attilagodzilla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:22 am Am I crazy for still getting really sad at the end when Godzilla dies?
Not at all-I think it's a sad scene too. It's a shame then that they brush over it so darn quickly

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm Growing up in the UK meant I really only had access to this movie as a child - but it was one of my favourites, and I still absolutely love the design of Zilla.

It's not even a good giant monster movie. All of its flaws have been pointed out here ad nauseum and in the RLM Half in the Bag vid on the two American Godzilla movies. Rich even says "the new Godzilla (G14) has its issues, but it got what it needed to get right. This (G98) doesn't get anything right". And he'd be right.
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm 2. The 11 minutes where Godzilla actually appears (attacking the boats, making landfall, fighting the military, the final chase)
When did this happen? In the movie that I remember seeing, he just runs away from poop while the incompetent AF military somehow keeps missing a 200+ foot tall iguana that can somehow fit in a sewer, yet can't fit through a tunnel.

And the end chase scene (which was also nothing special BTW) has more plot holes than Swiss cheese. Hell, I just pointed out a glaring one.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

KManX89 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:53 pm

It's not even a good giant monster movie. All of its flaws have been pointed out here ad nauseum and in the RLM Half in the Bag vid on the two American Godzilla movies. Rich even says "the new Godzilla (G14) has its issues, but it got what it needed to get right. This (G98) doesn't get anything right". And he'd be right.
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm 2. The 11 minutes where Godzilla actually appears (attacking the boats, making landfall, fighting the military, the final chase)
When did this happen? In the movie that I remember seeing, he just runs away from poop while the incompetent AF military somehow keeps missing a 200+ foot tall iguana that can somehow fit in a sewer, yet can't fit through a tunnel.

And the end chase scene (which was also nothing special BTW) has more plot holes than Swiss cheese. Hell, I just pointed out a glaring one.
In regards to the first part, I still think it's an okay flick-It's not GOOD by any standards of the imagination, but I feel it has at least some strengths or good parts about it that unfortunately just get lost in the mess of inconsistent writing, bland characters, and too much flash over substance; And while this is hardly something new or unique to the franchise given some of the Japanese Godzilla's entries, it still doesn't excuse this movie's various sins so much as seem to be unfair to solely affiliate anything wrong with Godzilla on this one movie.

I don't deny that there's a lot of problems, but from my own subjective viewpoint I don't think it's UNWATCHABLE-just boring and a tad annoying in some parts because of the messy direction and lack of respect for the source material. It's not great, but I still enjoy it and I can't say it seems any worse to me than some of the other stuff that's been made over the years.

To be honest, I think that's kind of the problem in discussing this movie, or really ANY movie by extension-Some people think it's a good monster movie but not a good Godzilla movie, others think it's NOT a good movie PERIOD, and a few even think it's a decent Godzilla movie. And everyone has their own reasons and arguments as to why-I think the important thing we can do is try and see it from another angle or perspective as best we can.

As for the second part, he does still fight them-Granted, he does run for a good chunk of the film, but he also turns around and either ambushes the military (like the Apaches that were chasing him) turns around and stands his ground (when he first uses his 'Power Breath' against the Jeeps) and he did go on the offensive a few times, like when he trampled their gunlines/tanks after they open fire on him from the first fish-pile, or when he uses his scutes to slice through the hull of the Ohio Submarine.

Garzon
GPN Volunteer

Post by Garzon »

The fact that this isn’t a “proper” Godzilla movie is the least of its problems. I’d go so far as to say that making Godzilla less of an indestructible monster and more of a large animal isn’t a bad idea on paper (although it would’ve been nice if he had atomic breath). The problem is that the movie is just really dumb and shallow, with cartoony and uninspired characters, and a plot that requires the characters to be a bunch of idiots in order for there to be conflict. It also shamelessly rips off Jurassic Park, which is lame.
Last edited by Garzon on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Garzon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 pm The fact that this isn’t a “proper” Godzilla movie is the least of its problems. I’d go so far as to say that making Godzilla less of an indestructible monster and more of a large animal isn’t a bad idea on paper (although it would’ve been nice if he had atomic breath). The problem is that the movie is just really dumb and shallow, with cartoony and uninspired characters, and a plot that requires the characters to be a bunch of idiots in order for there to be conflict. It also shamelessly rips off Jurassic Park, which is lame.
I agree on both accounts-Making Godzilla more fallible can be a good thing sometimes, as the constant "UNTOUCHABLE GOD-KING OF MONSTERS" angle can be kinda dull after a while; Not that they made Godzilla in this movie any better, sadly. I mean, I thought it was an okay execution for the monster, and I still like this film, but writing is NOT this movie's friend...at all.

Leviarex
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leviarex »

Deleted
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Leviarex wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 pm
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 pm
Garzon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 pm The fact that this isn’t a “proper” Godzilla movie is the least of its problems. I’d go so far as to say that making Godzilla less of an indestructible monster and more of a large animal isn’t a bad idea on paper (although it would’ve been nice if he had atomic breath). The problem is that the movie is just really dumb and shallow, with cartoony and uninspired characters, and a plot that requires the characters to be a bunch of idiots in order for there to be conflict. It also shamelessly rips off Jurassic Park, which is lame.
I agree on both accounts-Making Godzilla more fallible can be a good thing sometimes, as the constant "UNTOUCHABLE GOD-KING OF MONSTERS" angle can be kinda dull after a while
In my (and certainly many other fans') eyes, that's just too integral a part of his character to ever be changed.
That's fair, and I'm not saying making him incredibly weak is the right angle to go, but I feel that when that makes him super overpowered and he trounces any obstacle in his way it becomes dull; He can be the king, but he's got to EARN the Crown, y'know? Like, Final Wars-I love that movie too, but let's be real, Godzilla is way too strong. Or for that matter, Godzilla Earth, whose just super strong because he's 'The King of the Monsters'-and this of course means we don't have to see him actually work to earn his crown. He just walks through Hell and kills the entire Greek God pantheon because he's 'The King of the Monsters'

Now, on their own, these stories aren't bad-I think they're fun forays, even. But when it becomes the same thing over and over again, where Godzilla just wins by default with not even a struggle, then where's the fun in it? Sure, we know Godzilla's going to win (almost always) in the end, but dang it he should at least have to put in the effort to win, not just breathe on his opponent and win without a scratch. If nothing else, seeing someone as exceptionally powerful as Godzilla get knocked down a peg is always good because it shows he's not invulnerable to everything-there are monsters out there that are as strong, if not STRONGER than he is-and that gives a sense of danger.

Heck, it's part of the reason one of my favorite scenes in Godzilla: Final wars was where Godzilla is fighting Monster X....and gets his tail kicked. Like, he gets a second wind against Monster X and then gets the poop beaten out of him. Or, heck, look at Godzilla vs Destroyah where even his famed 'Red-Spiral Ray' hits Destroyah; and does nothing. Burning Godzilla is one of THE strongest incarnations of the Big Guy (at least in terms of raw power) and he still struggled to kill Destroyah. Go even further back to the Showa series, such as in Image and look at how MechaGodzilla is able to keep him on the ropes throughout the entire movie-even with King Caesar helping Godzilla out he struggled to beat them.

In my opinion, Godzilla is King of the Monsters and the 'strongest' because he earns it, not simply because 'That's how Godzilla is supposed to be'. Does that mean we need to make him weaker? No! And while previous posts of mine have gone in depth that the live-action TriStar Godzilla isn't quite as frail as he seems, he's still not on the level of the OG Japanese Godzilla-and that is definitely not a strength of the movie to have made Godzilla killed by conventional weapons, even if they're high ordinance and it takes a lot of 'em

Leviarex
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leviarex »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:23 pm
Leviarex wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:11 pm
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:34 pm

I agree on both accounts-Making Godzilla more fallible can be a good thing sometimes, as the constant "UNTOUCHABLE GOD-KING OF MONSTERS" angle can be kinda dull after a while
In my (and certainly many other fans') eyes, that's just too integral a part of his character to ever be changed.
That's fair, and I'm not saying making him incredibly weak is the right angle to go, but I feel that when that makes him super overpowered and he trounces any obstacle in his way it becomes dull; He can be the king, but he's got to EARN the Crown, y'know? Like, Final Wars-I love that movie too, but let's be real, Godzilla is way too strong. Or for that matter, Godzilla Earth, whose just super strong because he's 'The King of the Monsters'-and this of course means we don't have to see him actually work to earn his crown. He just walks through Hell and kills the entire Greek God pantheon because he's 'The King of the Monsters'

Now, on their own, these stories aren't bad-I think they're fun forays, even. But when it becomes the same thing over and over again, where Godzilla just wins by default with not even a struggle, then where's the fun in it? Sure, we know Godzilla's going to win (almost always) in the end, but dang it he should at least have to put in the effort to win, not just breathe on his opponent and win without a scratch. If nothing else, seeing someone as exceptionally powerful as Godzilla get knocked down a peg is always good because it shows he's not invulnerable to everything-there are monsters out there that are as strong, if not STRONGER than he is-and that gives a sense of danger.

Heck, it's part of the reason one of my favorite scenes in Godzilla: Final wars was where Godzilla is fighting Monster X....and gets his tail kicked. Like, he gets a second wind against Monster X and then gets the poop beaten out of him. Or, heck, look at Godzilla vs Destroyah where even his famed 'Red-Spiral Ray' hits Destroyah; and does nothing. Burning Godzilla is one of THE strongest incarnations of the Big Guy (at least in terms of raw power) and he still struggled to kill Destroyah. Go even further back to the Showa series, such as in Image and look at how MechaGodzilla is able to keep him on the ropes throughout the entire movie-even with King Caesar helping Godzilla out he struggled to beat them.

In my opinion, Godzilla is King of the Monsters and the 'strongest' because he earns it, not simply because 'That's how Godzilla is supposed to be'. Does that mean we need to make him weaker? No! And while previous posts of mine have gone in depth that the live-action TriStar Godzilla isn't quite as frail as he seems, he's still not on the level of the OG Japanese Godzilla-and that is definitely not a strength of the movie to have made Godzilla killed by conventional weapons, even if they're high ordinance and it takes a lot of 'em
I more than get what you're saying and can't totally disagree. I just misread (as I often do) what you typed as saying Godzilla should (at least sometimes) be without his standard invulnerability.

Garzon
GPN Volunteer

Post by Garzon »

I personally don’t mind Godzilla being reinvented as more vulnerable to conventional weaponry. I probably wouldn’t have him get killed by standard fighter planes, but Godzilla getting hurt by the military isn’t a dealbreaker for me. I have a bigger gripe with the lack of atomic breath. You can still make Godzilla more like an animal while letting him keep his trademark ability. In any case, the movie is bad for reasons other than the changes made to Godzilla.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Garzon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am I personally don’t mind Godzilla being reinvented as more vulnerable to conventional weaponry. I probably wouldn’t have him get killed by standard fighter planes, but Godzilla getting hurt by the military isn’t a dealbreaker for me. I have a bigger gripe with the lack of atomic breath. You can still make Godzilla more like an animal while letting him keep his trademark ability. In any case, the movie is bad for reasons other than the changes made to Godzilla.
This I can agree with. TriStar Godzilla lacking two of the Japanese Godzilla's most prominent traits of invulnerability and atomic breath (or rather, having less durability and a much weaker 'breath weapon' in the form of his flammable 'Power Breath') were TERRIBLE decisions on the part of Emmerich and Devlin. Even then, they were far from some of the worst decisions in the movie, much as I may love it.