Yokai Monsters Collection

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Yokai Monsters Collection

Post by Angilasman »

Coming this October from Arrow!

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/yok ... -preorder/

Not quite as extras stacked as Gamera or Daimajin, but that's 'cause we've been spoiled - it's still got a 60 page book, new art (including a poster and postcards), new featurette, new commentary on Yokai War from the guy who literally wrote the book on Miike... it's stacked, those other two were just super-stacked!
LIMITED EDITION BOXSET CONTENTS

– High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of all four films

– Optional English subtitles on all four films

– Illustrated 60-page collectors’ book featuring new writing on the series by Stuart Galbraith IV, Raffael Coronelli and Jolyon Yates

– Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jolyon Yates

– Postcards featuring newly commissioned artwork for each film by Jolyon Yates

– Foldout ‘yokai guide’ poster illustrated by Jolyon Yates

DISC ONE – 100 MONSTERS

– Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio

– Hiding in Plain Sight, a brand new documentary giving a primer on yokai for Western audiences, featuring interviews with experts Matt Alt, Zack Davisson, Kim Newman, Lynda E. Rucker and Hiroko Yoda

– Theatrical trailer

– US re-release trailer

– Image gallery

DISC TWO – SPOOK WARFARE / ALONG WITH GHOSTS

– Brand new 4K restoration of Spook Warfare by Kadokawa Pictures

– Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio for both films

– Theatrical trailers for both films

– US re-release trailers for both films

– Image galleries for both films

DISC THREE – THE GREAT YOKAI WAR

– DTS-HD MA 5.1 original Japanese and dubbed English audio

– Brand new audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes

– Archive interviews with the cast and crew, including Takashi Miike

– Short Drama of Yokai, two shorts detailing the further adventures of the yokai

– Another Story of Kawataro, two shorts featuring the continuing story of the kappa character in the film

– World Yokai Conference, a publicity event where Miike speaks about the film

– Promotional Events, video of the press conference to announce the start and completion of filming, as well as the premiere in Tokyo

– Documentary on the film’s young star, Ryunosuki Kamiki, and his experience making the film

– Theatrical trailer

– Image gallery”

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Yokai Monsters Collection

Post by Terasawa »

Only Spook Warfare to be presented from the new 4K restoration.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Sick. Not a perfect release, maybe, but I'll gladly take it. I've never seen any of these and hardly knew they existed until initial hints at this set started circulating.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Spook Warfare may be my favorite tokusatsu movie of all time!

These babies are essential, and the old DVDs are rather rough by current standards.

--- edit ---

... and after having a spot of trouble getting the initial Gamera (ended up getting it) and Daimajin (hope the -zon comes through next week) sets I went ahead a pre-ordered day-one on Diabolik, which seems to be the practice of those in the know.
Last edited by Angilasman on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

As a horror fan, would I be interested in these films?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Since these are not Toho movies, shouldn't this be moved into the general media section?

Anyway, really stoked for this set, especially now knowing it'll include the Miike movie as well.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Anguirus wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:03 pm As a horror fan, would I be interested in these films?
100 Monsters and Along With Ghosts are horror, Spook Warfare and Great Yokai War are splashy adventures.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I see that means The Great Yokai War: Guardians will have to be released separately when (and if) Arrow Video gets it.

It would've been nice to include it and have the whole series up to that point. Other than that, it looks great!

The only other thing is that I hope the price is reasonable.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G-Matt wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm Since these are not Toho movies, shouldn't this be moved into the general media section?
Nah, it's just a shorthand name for this section. We have more than a few non-Toho tokusatsu stuff here.

Anyway, I've never seen these movies and don't have much of a connection to them so I might sit and wait for release on this set, as tempting fate as it seems. I'd pre-order from Diabolik but they charge immediately and I don't have the money on me right now to do so.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Yes - I've been looking forward to this! Pre-order here I come.

GojiraXDAN
Samurai

Post by GojiraXDAN »

Looking Forward to this. I love Great Yokai War and it will be nice to retire the old DVD. Never Seen the others but I'm sure I'll enjoy them.
My Youtube! Go Check out some of my GMVS and AMVS!: http://www.youtube.com/user/thejoker9998?feature=mhee

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:06 pm
G-Matt wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm Since these are not Toho movies, shouldn't this be moved into the general media section?
Nah, it's just a shorthand name for this section. We have more than a few non-Toho tokusatsu stuff here.
I feel like the best solution would be turning the new Gamera section into a more general Daiei area, and moving all threads for Daimajin, Yokai Monsters, etc. there. Ditto making the Ultraman area a more general TsuPro section, albeit there do seem to be threads for the likes of Mirrorman and Gridman already there.

Anyways, real excited about this release. I actually really enjoyed Miike's The Great Yokai War. It gets a little lost in its zaniness, but its a genuinely solid family film with some very impressive practical effects.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

Amazon has the pre-order price at $99.99. Most other places have it around $69.95. Which is correct?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

rob559 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:44 am Amazon has the pre-order price at $99.99. Most other places have it around $69.95. Which is correct?
...they all...are? You can either pay $69.95 up front and hope that's the lowest it will go, or preorder on Amazon and hope the price lowers before it goes on sale.

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
goji1986 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:55 am
rob559 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:44 am Amazon has the pre-order price at $99.99. Most other places have it around $69.95. Which is correct?
...they all...are? You can either pay $69.95 up front and hope that's the lowest it will go, or preorder on Amazon and hope the price lowers before it ships.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:06 pm
I feel like the best solution would be turning the new Gamera section into a more general Daiei area, and moving all threads for Daimajin, Yokai Monsters, etc. there. Ditto making the Ultraman area a more general TsuPro section, albeit there do seem to be threads for the likes of Mirrorman and Gridman already there.

Anyways, real excited about this release. I actually really enjoyed Miike's The Great Yokai War. It gets a little lost in its zaniness, but its a genuinely solid family film with some very impressive practical effects.
I agree with this. It would make things a whole lot easier if you ask me.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:30 am
MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:25 am
I agree with this. It would make things a whole lot easier if you ask me.
I concur.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 am ^ Spook Warfare may be my favorite tokusatsu movie of all time!

These babies are essential, and the old DVDs are rather rough by current standards.

--- edit ---

... and after having a spot of trouble getting the initial Gamera (ended up getting it) and Daimajin (hope the -zon comes through next week) sets I went ahead a pre-ordered day-one on Diabolik, which seems to be the practice of those in the know.
Sorry, not in the know - what does "the -zon" mean?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:24 pm
Angilasman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 am ^ Spook Warfare may be my favorite tokusatsu movie of all time!

--- edit ---

Amazon, I think.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:24 pm

--- edit ---

Amazon, I think.
Ah, okay that makes sense, thank you.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Arrow Video's limited-edition Yokai Monsters Collection was just released this week! For anyone who hasn't gotten it yet, new copies are still available online at Zia Records for $89.99 and at FYE for $114.99. Amazon currently has it listed as in-stock for $99.99 but whether or not they'll actually deliver it is a gamble. The UK version of the set is also still available on Arrow's website.

This set is a thing of beauty! I'm looking forward to checking out these movies, none of which I've seen before!