New German Bluray of Gorath

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Purzel2205
Samurai

New German Bluray of Gorath

Post by Purzel2205 »

Anolis just announced that they will release a German Bluray of Gorath, release date being March 19th.
It doesn't seem to be English friendly though, so it's probably not that interesting for most people here.

What IS interesting though, is that not even Japan itself has a Bluray of the film yet and that the Bluray will include the German theatrical version :P

Here is the link to the announcement: https://www.facebook.com/AnolisEntertai ... 9086769672
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

G-Matt
Futurian

Re: New German Bluray of Gorath

Post by G-Matt »

Wow! I could consider getting it.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The German theatrical release (1975) was based on Brenco's general U.S. release version. It's been released on DVD before in a ~1.78 transfer that really leaves a lot to be desired...
Spoiler:
As you can see from the first screenshot, there were several new inserts shot for the U.S. version: these probably haven't been seen in full scope since the film left West German theaters in the '70s. I don't know if original film elements for that version still exist -- actually, I doubt they do. I won't hold out hope for a modern HD transfer of the edited version, but if Anolis can work that miracle then I'll definitely pick this up. (And god do the three Brenco versions ever need a real miracle if they're to be saved from near extinction.)

But since the German version is listed as an extra, I'd bet we're just getting an upscaled version of the previous transfer. Oh well.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:42 am The German theatrical release (1975) was based on Brenco's general U.S. release version. It's been released on DVD before in a ~1.78 transfer that really leaves a lot to be desired...
Spoiler:
As you can see from the first screenshot, there were several new inserts shot for the U.S. version: these probably haven't been seen in full scope since the film left West German theaters in the '70s. I don't know if original film elements for that version still exist -- actually, I doubt they do. I won't hold out hope for a modern HD transfer of the edited version, but if Anolis can work that miracle then I'll definitely pick this up. (And god do the three Brenco versions ever need a real miracle if they're to be saved from near extinction.)

But since the German version is listed as an extra, I'd bet we're just getting an upscaled version of the previous transfer. Oh well.
From my past experiences with Anolis releases I really doubt that they would just upscale the German version from the old DVD. I think what is more likely is that they made an own reconstruction with upscaled parts for stuff that was exclusive to the alternative cut and the Japanese HD transfer for the rest of the footage. They made a reconstruction like that for the American version on their 'Terror Beneath the Sea' bluray, which was also just listed as an extra by the way.

And maayybe it's actually a modern transfer of the cut! With Anolis I wouldn't be surprised
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Purzel2205 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am From my past experiences with Anolis releases I really doubt that they would just upscale the German version from the old DVD. I think what is more likely is that they made an own reconstruction with upscaled parts for stuff that was exclusive to the alternative cut and the Japanese HD transfer for the rest of the footage. They made a reconstruction like that for the American version on their 'Terror Beneath the Sea' bluray, which was also just listed as an extra by the way.

And maayybe it's actually a modern transfer of the cut! With Anolis I wouldn't be surprised
Thanks for the info. If not an upscale, then I guess it will probably be a reconstruction. At this stage, however, I don't think there's any reason to believe it will be a new transfer, although I can't completely rule it out either. I guess we won't have to wait too long to find out.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Seems like Germany gets better home media love from Toho.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:27 pm Seems like Germany gets better home media love from Toho.
It definitely used to be like that but now even Anolis seems to have problems working with Toho. For example in the past they were able to use the original German theatrical titles for all their releases but now Toho forced them to use German translations of the international titles on some of their recent Godzilla blurays. And when Anolis was asked why it has been so long since their last release from their 'Kaiju Classics' line they replied that it's because it's currently very hard / near impossible to make a deal with Toho.

Apparently Anolis didn't license Gorath directly from Toho but from somewhere else. I have no idea how that works though since I don't know anything about licensing X_X

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Weren't the German subtitles on the Gorath DVD sourced directly from the awful dubtitles/guesswork Video Daikaiju subs? Hopefully now that a proper English translation exists, they'll at least use that, or ideally, translate directly from Japanese to German.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Purzel2205 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:54 amApparently Anolis didn't license Gorath directly from Toho but from somewhere else. I have no idea how that works though since I don't know anything about licensing X_X

The previous German DVD from Cine Club has a big 'ol Studiocanal logo on the back, so that's probably the "somewhere else" in question.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm
Purzel2205 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am From my past experiences with Anolis releases I really doubt that they would just upscale the German version from the old DVD. I think what is more likely is that they made an own reconstruction with upscaled parts for stuff that was exclusive to the alternative cut and the Japanese HD transfer for the rest of the footage. They made a reconstruction like that for the American version on their 'Terror Beneath the Sea' bluray, which was also just listed as an extra by the way.

Thanks for the info. If not an upscale, then I guess it will probably be a reconstruction. At this stage, however, I don't think there's any reason to believe it will be a new transfer, although I can't completely rule it out either. I guess we won't have to wait too long to find out.
Ok I own the Bluray now and it's very interesting! I believe the German cut that was previously available on DVD was just some kind of edit for TV and not the "real" theatrical cut. This bluray features a completely new reconstruction in HD, directly based on the American version. It has the complete German title sequence with the hilarious fake credits that were meant to make it seem like an American movie ("Directed by G. Wells" for example) and theres also some sort of prologue at the beginning, where a narrator talks over some pictures of space. The end card says "The End" in English and also has "Copyrighted by Brenco Pictures".

The English dub is also included!
Though keep in mind that the title sequence and the prologue remain in German.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Purzel2205 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:19 am

Ok I own the Bluray now and it's very interesting! I believe the German cut that was previously available on DVD was just some kind of edit for TV and not the "real" theatrical cut. This bluray features a completely new reconstruction in HD, directly based on the American version. It has the complete German title sequence with the hilarious fake credits that were meant to make it seem like an American movie ("Directed by G. Wells" for example) and theres also some sort of prologue at the beginning, where a narrator talks over some pictures of space. The end card says "The End" in English and also has "Copyrighted by Brenco Pictures".

Such a shame the disc is out of stock currently. Hoping they get more in though as I've been dying for something like this for Gorath.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

G-MAN wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Such a shame the disc is out of stock currently. Hoping they get more in though as I've been dying for something like this for Gorath.
It's still very much available in Germany, there probably just aren't that many people who ship it internationally

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Purzel2205 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:46 am
G-MAN wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:05 pm

It's still very much available in Germany, there probably just aren't that many people who ship it internationally
That's what I'm saying as last I checked it wasn't orderable by Amazon directly at the moment. But this does seem like it's one of Anolis' limited releases at least in the current packaging.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Purzel2205 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:01 am What IS interesting though, is that not even Japan itself has a Bluray of the film yet and that the Bluray will include the German theatrical version :P
It could be a Mothra-type situation*, where a company in Germany owns the German rights to Gorath in perpetuity.

*Mothra being owned outright by Columbia in the US, meaning they can release whatever they want with their elements without Toho's approval.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

For the people interested in this, Anolis is now re-releasing this disc in a cheaper blu-ray keepcase edition

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

Has anyone created some english subtitles for this release?