Mill Creek H-Man/Battle In Outer Space double feature Blu!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Re: Mill Creek H-Man/Battle In Outer Space double feature Blu!

Post by Great Hierophant »

Now how about Gorath, The Human Vapor, The Last War or other Toho sci-fi films that have not really seen an accessible overseas disc release?

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Great Hierophant wrote:Now how about Gorath, The Human Vapor, The Last War or other Toho sci-fi films that have not really seen an accessible overseas disc release?
I'd buy those too! :D

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

And there is the original Japanese version Half Human that Id love an official home video release for !

I know Criterion is going to have a Kaiju set that has Rodan and War of the Gargantuas down the road, probably other movies that were released by Media Blasters, but wouldn't it be cool to get some of the others like The Human Vapor, Gorath, Half Human etc :)
A Godzilla fan can dream ! :D
Last edited by Godsteigman on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godsteigman wrote:And there is the original Japanese version Half Human that Id love an official home video release for !

I know Criterion is going to have a Kaiju set that has Rodan and War of the Gargantuas down the road, probably other movies that were released by Media Blasters, but wouldn't it be cool to get some of the others like The Human Vapor, Gorath, Half Human etc :)
A Godzilla fan can dream ! :D
I know what you mean; I've been wanting Criterion to do something along the lines of what you just said for quite some time since they got the Showa Godzilla set out. At least they should put in the films that have even some connection to the Godzilla films, like:

*Rodan,
*Varan,
*Atragon,
*Frankenstein vs. Baragon,
*War of the Gargantuas (this is because the Japanese version of this film is a sequel to the previous film),
*King Kong Escapes (this one is solely for the first appearance of Gorosaurus).

I know they can't put in Mothra, however.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

>thread about getting two Toho movies on Blu-ray
>talking about other movies that will never ever be packaged together
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I think H-Man is undervalued as one of the most important Toho sci-fi films by virtue of the fact that it's a genre mashup made when these films were still fairly straightforward sci-fi stories. A few years later, the genre mashup nature would be the staple of Japanese science fiction in the 60s.

It's a Godzilla movie but also it's kind of a James Bond movie! It's a Kaiju but there's comedy and musical numbers! It's a rampaging Kaiju, but also it's a Samurai movie!

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

Terasawa wrote:>thread about getting two Toho movies on Blu-ray
>talking about other movies that will never ever be packaged together
>which just about happens in every thread or where have you been

We are all Godzilla fans and have no problems discussing other Godzilla movies on home video or otherwise in a thread, it's all related. It's always fun to talk Kaiju movies on video or would like to have on home video
Never say never
Last edited by Godsteigman on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I'd like to see Mill Creek pick up Media Blasters library and produce some releases of those.
Godsteigman wrote:And there is the original Japanese version Half Human that Id love an official home video release for !
We'll see Songs of the South Before HH and Nostradamus.
Last edited by Malchik on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Why ANYONE would want Criterion to get the rights to more Godzilla/kaiju films is beyond me. Yeah, they made the box set of the Showa films, so f'n what. More sub-par video quality? Lack of dubs and outright ugly and inconsistent artwork? No f'n thanks. Let a company like Arrow or Shout! Factory do it.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

MM Raids Again wrote:Why ANYONE would want Criterion to get the rights to more Godzilla/kaiju films is beyond me. Yeah, they made the box set of the Showa films, so f'n what. More sub-par video quality? Lack of dubs and outright ugly and inconsistent artwork? No f'n thanks. Let a company like Arrow or Shout! Factory do it.
Guarantee you that Toho would be JUST as restrictive to Arrow or Shout Factory.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

goji1986 wrote:Guarantee you that Toho would be JUST as restrictive to Arrow or Shout Factory.

Yeah, blaming Criterion for the subpar transfers or the lack of American release versions is flawed reasoning. They had to make do under Toho's excessive restrictions. I doubt anyone would do better, but many would undoubtedly do worse, as they at least managed to wrangle Universal in on it to include King Kong vs. Godzilla and got some interesting vintage special features and interviews.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Agreed. As many issues and frustrations as I have with the criterion set, it isn’t criterion’s fault. They did the best they could under insane policies and directions from Toho.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

lol @ thinking Arrow or Shout! could get more out of Toho than Criterion
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Godzilla21 wrote:lol @ thinking Arrow or Shout! could get more out of Toho than Criterion
Media Blasters got more for their releases individually than Criterion did. If Toho is the only one to blame (and I'm starting to heavily doubt that), than Criterion should have tried going the route of individual releases alongside the obnoxious book-style collection they did. At that point, they could of at least put as much effort into said individual releases.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

MM Raids Again wrote: Media Blasters got more for their releases individually than Criterion did. If Toho is the only one to blame (and I'm starting to heavily doubt that), than Criterion should have tried going the route of individual releases alongside the obnoxious book-style collection they did. At that point, they could of at least put as much effort into said individual releases.
Toho has an extremely inconsistent record when it comes to what they approve and don't approve for their releases. Their decisions have been suspect for decades. Take that versus Criterion who has a great track record and puts out top notch stuff.

What we do know is that Criterion attempted to do more with the set. We know they asked Toho to do more. We know they made overtures to people with materials to add as features on the set. We know that Toho shot them down. Maybe Criterion has some blame? We just don't know. But I'm extremely confident in saying Toho is the biggest reason why the set is what it is.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

There's also the fact that the old Media Blasters releases weren't Godzilla movies, and it seems to me Toho are a bit less watchful over those (also, likely cheaper to acquire).

Plus MB's screwup with DAM is what sent Toho into meddling overdrive and that was in '12, right?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Individual releases would not sell as well and it's not Criterion's way to space out massive franchises like that. I agree that the giant book is rather silly, though.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:lol @ thinking Arrow or Shout! could get more out of Toho than Criterion
Media Blasters got more for their releases individually than Criterion did. If Toho is the only one to blame (and I'm starting to heavily doubt that), than Criterion should have tried going the route of individual releases alongside the obnoxious book-style collection they did. At that point, they could of at least put as much effort into said individual releases.
Yeah, no offense but this post shows exactly how much you must not know. Media Blasters releases of Destroy All Monsters and Megalon are the driving reason behind Toho being so draconian with the limited materials they are willing to approve for foreign distributors these days.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

canofhumdingers wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Yeah, no offense but this post shows exactly how much you must not know. Media Blasters releases of Destroy All Monsters and Megalon are the driving reason behind Toho being so draconian with the limited materials they are willing to approve for foreign distributors these days.
Is that the reason, huh? Besides the fact I already knew about this, I know for a fact the main reason is because Toho doesn't want their targeted Japanese customers importing US Blu-Rays/DVDs featuring better special features/quality than their half-ass releases. If MB would have been able to do everything they wanted to do with DAM and their Megalon release, it'd have blown Toho's Japanese releases out of the water. Can't have that happen.

Quote of the Year:

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I pre-ordered them on Amazon. $13.29, before tax, free shipping. June 6, release date...