Mill Creek H-Man/Battle In Outer Space double feature Blu!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Mill Creek H-Man/Battle In Outer Space double feature Blu!

Post by Terasawa »

Shokara wrote:Something worthy of note about this Blu-ray set. The American version of The H-Man, while it preserves the English text opening title sequence and all of the alternate footage of notes and signs written in English, for some reason the "The End" title card is the Japanese text version. This wasn't the case with the 2009 "Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection" DVD set from Sony which does have the English text "The End." Also odd, the German Blu-ray release does preserve the English "The End" for the American version.
That was, however, the case with the telecine from the 1980s (released by RCA/Columbia), and according to SpaceHunterM, older foreign releases end with 終 too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Dang, I forget sometimes how much I dig The H-Man. The look and feel of the film, that late '50s Toho/Honda/Tsuburaya vibe, is just pure comfort food for me.

The only downside is that the plot relies on the contrivance of the sci-fi and crime storylines to intersect constantly, when there's really no reason for them to do so. If they added a line about some of the victims' consciousness being absorbed that would explain it because the singer's boyfriend is the first one to get eaten, so it makes sense that they'd come after her after that.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've been sitting on this for a few weeks, but I'm at last ready to give The H-Man a rewatch tonight. Love that movie, can't wait to see it in HD!

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I'm curious. Currently I own the old icons of sci-fi dvd collection for these two films and Mothra. I've since picked up the Mothra steelbook and was wondering if this collection was worth the upgrade beyond just having the films on blu-ray instead of dvd.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GalacticPetey wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I'm curious. Currently I own the old icons of sci-fi dvd collection for these two films and Mothra. I've since picked up the Mothra steelbook and was wondering if this collection was worth the upgrade beyond just having the films on blu-ray instead of dvd.
The Blu-rays are the same transfers on the Icons DVDs, only naturally in HD. Mill Creek's Mothra has the same contents as had the DVD, only with an additional trailer (from a lousy video master). I think the only different content on the H-Man/BIOS Blu is a different subtitle track on the latter film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just bought this Blu-ray from Barnes & Noble this Friday for only $14.99 ($16.04 with tax (they're having a sale)). This is a good deal, as their original price was $19.99 ($21.19 with tax). It should be arriving next Tuesday.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

It arrived today! Is that great or what?