Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

Post by Godzilla21 »

My Amazon order of the set is still pending. I know a few people started to get their orders of the set from them but looks like it stopped for a bit.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Aesthetically, I really prefer the idea of owning these in more traditional cases. The extra physical goodies are cool, but I know others appreciate them to a much higher degree than myself.

When these standard sets hit, I might buy them and try to sell my collection to someone who will appreciate it more.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Chrispy_G wrote:Aesthetically, I really prefer the idea of owning these in more traditional cases. The extra physical goodies are cool, but I know others appreciate them to a much higher degree than myself.

When these standard sets hit, I might buy them and try to sell my collection to someone who will appreciate it more.
I like the new cases too but not enough for a double dip.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Star Falcon
Samurai

Post by Star Falcon »

I regret paying aftermarket price for the Limited Edition set a bit now. Although I did manage to grab one before they got too pricey, if I'd have known this was coming I would have been content with waiting out for the January releases. The joys of hindsight!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’m sure you could easily sell your limited edition set for whatever you paid or more and then buy the new sets you prefer.

Heck, there’s probably someone on this board who’d buy it for whatever you paid plus shipping to them. It’d be a win-win. You wouldn’t lose any money and they’d likely get it for a bit less than current market price.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Amazon is listing the Showa set for $99 and the Heisei set for $99, which combined is quite a bit more expensive than the original limited edition set. If you can get an unopened set on eBay for $300, you might not feel like you've been scalped too hard at all if there is significant content in the limited edition not in the general release editions.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:Amazon is listing the Showa set for $99 and the Heisei set for $99, which combined is quite a bit more expensive than the original limited edition set.
....are you fucking shitting me, Arrow? Well, I hope they're happy with themselves. I'd have gladly payed standard price for the box set with all those extras, but no way am I spending $200 for the movies alone. The Heisei set, fine. Not happening for the Showa set. My Mill Creek DVDs will suffice.

Added in 4 minutes :
Chrispy_G wrote:Aesthetically, I really prefer the idea of owning these in more traditional cases. The extra physical goodies are cool, but I know others appreciate them to a much higher degree than myself.
This is basically me, too. I wish I could've gotten the extras, but I'll live without them, and I want to be able to display this release with my DVD/Blu-ray collection.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

^ To clarify, all of the disc contents from the limited edition set will be identical on the standard editions. None of the extras on the discs will be left out. Only the printed extras (books, cards & map) will be left out of the standard edition sets.

It does stink for Arrow to offer the Showa and Heisei sets at a combined MSRP of $199.90 after the limited edition's MSRP was $179.99. That's charging more for less content.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote:^ To clarify, all of the disc contents from the limited edition set will be identical on the standard editions. None of the extras on the discs will be left out. Only the printed extras (books, cards & map) will be left out of the standard edition sets.
Yeah, but the books are the ones I was most interested in, and the ones that really justified the high price. Oh, well, though. It is what it is.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

You can preorder now and (as always happens) you will get the lowest price between now and street date (which they always do).
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Star Falcon
Samurai

Post by Star Falcon »

If the discs are region free, consider ordering from the UK. The prices here seem to be a lot lower. Amazon UK is listing the Showa set at £59.99 (approx $78) and Heisei at £44.99 (approx $58).
Last edited by Star Falcon on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I know many listings start out the MSRP, then drop quite a bit (as with most of Mill Creeks Ultraman sets), but this was not the case with Arrow's Warning From Space. This was a one-off more me as normally I'd never pay $28 for a single film on BRD. I would think those Gamera sets would be about $40 each ($10 per film), certainly not more than the cost of the deluxe set when combined. Hopefully the price drops for those that want them, but with Arrow I am not sure.

As a fan of physical media, it seems like as it becomes more "collector oriented" the prices are starting to go up, instead of down, which is a shame. Forcing people to go digital for cost cutting reasons is not fun.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I don't really understand why Amazon has it for $100, when literally everywhere else is cheaper even Arrow direct. Arrow's MSRP price is even cheaper than that.
Go to Diabolik. Get both sets for about $120 total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Terasawa wrote:Uh, but I do feel bad about not getting it, which was the point of my comment that you This'd. :P

I've been in my house since Feb/Mar and my brain is obviously deteriorating give me a break.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Over on Blu-Ray.com, user fred25_Ca posted this yesterday in that board's Gamera thread:
Btw, if somebody is interested, I still have my limited Gamera box set in perfect condition. I have till October 30th to send it back to amazon but I figured i'd offer it because two people helped me recently on here. I unfortunately got it for 199.99$ (canadian) and missed the earlier amazon special and here in Canada there are a lot of taxes so it came to 230$ (170 US?). I'm sending it back because I prefer the smaller edition and because this was crazy expensive but if someone wants it let me know. No idea how expensive the shipping to the US this will be mind you. PM if interested but do it before the 30th lol i don't want to miss my amazon window.
I spoke with him via private message and he gave me permission to share his offer here on TK.

If you're interested and you're not registered on Blu-Ray.com, please send me a private message here on TK and I will connect you with him.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Wanna spend even more money on Gamera? Have the ability to load/remux external subs? Kadokawa's got you covered with upcoming Ultra HD discs of the Kaneko trilogy:

https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/16509727/
https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/16509728/
https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/16509729/

Of course, as Arrow is doing Ultra HD discs now, there's always the possibility they'll do their own further down the line. Maybe this will prompt Toho to finally do more 4k Godzilla restorations (it won't).

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Don't say that, I'm sure we'll eventually get the same low-contrast positives they've been transferring for 30-40 years in 4K.

Cool that those are getting a UHD, though it'll probably be based on Kadokawa's color grades. I've honestly kind of soured on those iterations -- I was initially taken in by their sharpness and robustness compared to the old HD transfers, but seeing them corrected to a more neutral look has cast the actual colors of the original releases in a fairly unflattering light.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Being presented in HDR requires a whole new grade, so I'm sure we'll then have yet another overall look to compare with previous releases. The standard 1080p Blu-ray discs in the upcoming Ultra HD sets will be the same discs as the 2016 box.

RE: Toho, even proper scans of those would be an improvement.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's true, hence "based on" the 2015/2016 grades. I expect the overall look (in terms of pushing the blue/green and orange) will be similar, though obviously you can't just convert SDR to HDR; you'd need a new grade with similar biases.

And that's true. Even if they do mostly default to those, I hope they at least have the good sense to use the cut camera negatives/Champion dupes for what they can. Ideally MvG and MZ would be sourced from the OCN wherever possible, and even the other Champion scans could be used to replace missing frames (particularly in Son of Godzilla).
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Okay, I've got some bottles of Kirin Beer (heavy product placement in the trilogy) and am angling to finish this set in the next few days.

First up: UK dub of GOTU. Weird! The techno and repurpousing of the original score is bad, but some of the mellower Tangerine Dream-esque stuff is effective in parts. Dub script makes me appreciate ADV's all the more.