Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

Post by G-MAN »

Hey saw somewhere that some Gamera films were found on Arrow's apple tv channel. No idea if it's true or not but was wondering if anyone who has access to it knows if it's true?

*Update*

Arrow’s press release follows…

The original hero in a half-shell returns! For the first time ever worldwide, all twelve tales of the adventures of everyone’s favorite titanic terrapin are collected together in one deluxe Blu-ray box set.

This limited edition collectors’ set traces the decades-long evolution of Gamera, from the “friend of all children” in his more light-hearted earlier films, to the Guardian of the Universe in the groundbreaking 1990s reboot series, often hailed as three of the best kaiju films ever made.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Limited collectors’ edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank
• All twelve uncut original Japanese versions of the films in high definition, with lossless Japanese and English audio
• 4K restorations of the critically acclaimed Heisei trilogy (GAMERA: THE GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE, GAMERA 2: ATTACK OF LEGION, GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS)
• Hours of new and archive bonus features, expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski), interviews with cast and crew, and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE (the American theatrical version of the first film)
• Hardback 120-page comic book including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh
• Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and much more!

FINAL SPECS TO BE CONFIRMED SOON

Directors: Noriaki Yuasa, Sandy Howard, Shigeo Tanaka, Shusuke Kaneko, Ryuta Tasaki
Cast: Eiji Funakoshi, Albert Dekker, Kojiro Hongo, Nobuhiro Kashima, Tsutomu Takakuwa, Eiko Yanami, Mach Fumiake, Tsuyoshi Ihara, Toshiyuki Nagashima, Shinobu Nakayama, Ryo Tomioka

US Release Date: July 28, 2020
UK Release Date: July 27, 2020

SRP: $179.95
RRP: £149.99

Duration: 1174 Minutes
Language: Japanese, English
Subtitles: English
Discs: 8
Last edited by G-MAN on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gamera Arrow possible release?

Post by goji1986 »

G-MAN wrote:Hey saw somewhere that some Gamera films were found on Arrow's apple tv channel. No idea if it's true or not but was wondering if anyone who has access to it knows if it's true?
The Apple TV app on my iPhone doesn't show anything Gamera-related under Arrow's channel.

EDIT:
You are correct sir! While I couldn't find them on my phone, their website has a press release that confirms it.
https://arrowfilms.com/news/join-the-cu ... pple-tv-1/
The ARROW VIDEO CHANNEL service gives cult movie fans the opportunity to watch a varied and curated selection of movies that the ARROW VIDEO brand has been famous for with many movie fans all over the world. From horror to sci-fi, thrillers to westerns, the ARROW VIDEO CHANNEL will launch with classic cult movies such as Takashi Miike’s “Audition,” the 70’s horror classic “The Hills Have Eyes,” Terry Gilliam’s “Tideland” and George A. Romero’s “The Crazies.” In the coming months the ARROW VIDEO CHANNEL will be adding in such cult classics as “Hellraiser,” the original Japanese “Ringu,” “House,” “Elvira: Mistress of the Dark” and a collection of the Japanese classic “Gamera” movies. In addition to Cult Classic movies on the service, the ARROW VIDEO CHANNEL will begin adding brand new movie releases, exclusive to the Channel, in 2020 as part of a new global strategy. This echoes the current ARROW VIDEO CHANNEL strategy in the UK of exclusive movies such as indie-horror, “Harpoon” and German horror “Hagazussa.”
Hmmm....
Last edited by goji1986 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

"Takashi Miike’s “Audition,” the 70’s horror classic “The Hills Have Eyes,” Terry Gilliam’s “Tideland” and George A. Romero’s “The Crazies.” In the coming months the ARROW VIDEO CHANNEL will be adding in such cult classics as “Hellraiser,” the original Japanese “Ringu,” “House,” “Elvira: Mistress of the Dark” "

Considering Arrow has done blu ray releases of Audition, The Hills Have Eyes, Tideland, The Crazies, Hellraiser, Ringu, House, *and* Elvira, I'd say it's a relatively safe assumption that a Gamera release could be down the pipeline.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

SOUND THE ALARM!! WE MAY HAVE A LIVE ONE, FOLKS!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I will laugh my ass off if Arrow and Kadokawa manage to upstage Toho's Criterion's Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films

Hell, supposedly they went for the Criterion set because they were a bit embarrassed that the Gamera series was almost entirely available in one place, while Godzilla was split up and inconsistently available. If that's true, maybe a good set of Gamera releases could shame them into lifting a finger on some new transfers.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I will laugh my ass off if Arrow and Kadokawa manage to upstage Toho's Criterion's Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films
As much as I do love the Criterion set we're getting (I'm easy to please), I think Arrow would do a better job with a Gamera set. Just in my personal experience with Toho, their politics/decisions, the ease of Gamera releases, and the passion and quality of Arrow's releases.

If this does become some sort of set, or singular release of some kind, I'd be very exicted and very pleased.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Maritonic wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:I will laugh my ass off if Arrow and Kadokawa manage to upstage Toho's Criterion's Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films
As much as I do love the Criterion set we're getting (I'm easy to please), I think Arrow would do a better job with a Gamera set. Just in my personal experience with Toho, their politics/decisions, the ease of Gamera releases, and the passion and quality of Arrow's releases.

If this does become some sort of set, or singular release of some kind, I'd be very exicted and very pleased.
For all my frustration with the limitations of the Criterion set, I am glad it's coming out. But yeah, I think a hypothetical Arrow set or line of releases stands a good chance of being an overall better presentation of the films and possibly the various dubs. Maybe we'll finally get some English versions of the first film and Barugon on a proper release.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Hell, supposedly they went for the Criterion set because they were a bit embarrassed that the Gamera series was almost entirely available in one place, while Godzilla was split up and inconsistently available. If that's true, maybe a good set of Gamera releases could shame them into lifting a finger on some new transfers.
Yeah Kadokawa/Daiei seem to be much easier to deal with than Toho. I mean, they allowed S!F to produce great DVD's, AND allowed the MST3K versions of those films to be released as well. The omissions of Gammera The Invincible as well as the Sandy Frank English dub of Gamera, and BOTH English dubs of War of the Monsters/ G vs. Barugon had less to do with Kadokawa, and more to do with S!F not willing to spend the extra time/money to obtain those elements IIRC.

Those three elements are the only things lacking from the S!F dvd's. If Arrow were to produce a BRD set that had everything the previous S!F dvd's had, PLUS those three missing elements, then I could literally sell off my S!F dvd's AND Mill Creek BRD's,

Taking it one step further, if they obtained everything Mill Creek had previously, that includes the 3 Heisei films. That leaves the only quesiton...How long did/does Media Blasters have licensing rights for Gamera the Brave? Their dvd and BRD are long OOP (I still haven't opened my BRD of that film, and it goes for quite a price on the secondary market).

If they were able to package all 12 films together, with all the English dubs (The Whole Enchilada!) That would blow the Godzilla Criterion set out of the water.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'd love a new disc of Gamera the Brave if they could swing it. Not much they could do for the video, since it's digital, but the existing Blu has a really serious problem with the music and effects on the English audio tracks.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

o.supreme wrote: Yeah Kadokawa/Daiei seem to be much easier to deal with than Toho. I mean, they allowed S!F to produce great DVD's, AND allowed the MST3K versions of those films to be released as well. The omissions of Gammera The Invincible as well as the Sandy Frank English dub of Gamera, and BOTH English dubs of War of the Monsters/ G vs. Barugon had less to do with Kadokawa, and more to do with S!F not willing to spend the extra time/money to obtain those elements IIRC.

Those three elements are the only things lacking from the S!F dvd's. If Arrow were to produce a BRD set that had everything the previous S!F dvd's had, PLUS those three missing elements, then I could literally sell off my S!F dvd's AND Mill Creek BRD's,
From what I understand, a number of individuals came forward with those versions, but Shout! more or less denied their involvement for some reason.

If Mill Creek can get the two AI-TV Daimajin dubs in immaculate quality, why can't a company like Arrow?

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Hopefully Arrow can convince the UCLA Film & Television Archive to not be dicks about access to the Gammera The Invincible elements they have, this time around.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Joseph Goodman wrote:Hopefully Arrow can convince the UCLA Film & Television Archive to not be dicks about access to the Gammera The Invincible elements they have, this time around.
Do we know what the HD version on Amazon is sourced from?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This would be awesome. I'd love to finally can my Mill Creek Blu-Rays for something more definitive.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Do we know what the HD version on Amazon is sourced from?
I think it's from a 35mm release print; it's also missing some of the shots of American jet pilots.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Joseph Goodman wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:Do we know what the HD version on Amazon is sourced from?
I think it's from a 35mm release print; it's also missing some of the shots of American jet pilots.
Right; I heard that about the jet pilots. Do we know what the copy UCLA has is? The person in that thread calls it a print but I don't know if that's just imprecise language or what
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/s ... ton=Search

The UCLA materials were the source for Neptune Media's transfer back in the 90's.
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

It would be nice to have that Gammera print on Blu-Ray, even with the missing scenes.

And I guess I’m REALLY jumping to conclusions here by saying this, but if Gamera BDs do come to fruition, I’d love to see more titles from Daiei’s SFX catalog (Not just the Yokai films, but also the likes of Demon of Mt. Oe and especially Whale God, which is honestly superior to most Toho Kaiju films) While not as large, I’d call it just as diverse as Toho’s, maybe even slightly more so.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I’d love to see more titles from Daiei’s SFX catalog (Not just the Yokai films, but also the likes of Demon of Mt. Oe and especially Whale God
Yes to all of this.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

I would love to see what they could do with the set they put out in Japan a few years back with the show a films finally recieiving a proper hd remaster and if I'm not mistaken the Heisei along with gamera the brave were 4k masters. But it could just he the Heisei series.

I would love if they could do stuff that Neptune did along the lines of editing the original dubs to play along with some of the classic films. As I would love for all dubs to be on this set as arrow is great when it comes to extras usually and even restoring deleted scenes and making extended cuts of big movies like they have done with some John Hughes movies lately I've noticed.

And yeah honestly I don't see how these can't top the crietiom set just in terms of the films seem to be in much better shape and care than the Godzilla films and have much more recent transfers for them. Just hope this extends to the entire series as it would be awesome to have it all under arrow. Love the artwork they come up with for the films too. And while I doubt it will be. Even if this is a region b locked set as some arrow releases can be if another company owns the distribution rights in the states. But I think we don't have to worry about that, but even if so it will still be worth it to rip them and burn them to play here as opposed to paying hundreds of dollars for the Japanese set.

Also on a side note I've noticed some of the gamera films are availble free to watch in HD subtitled mostly on vudu if anyone cares for that.

Added in 2 minutes 8 seconds:
MaxRebo320 wrote:It would be nice to have that Gammera print on Blu-Ray, even with the missing scenes.

And I guess I’m REALLY jumping to conclusions here by saying this, but if Gamera BDs do come to fruition, I’d love to see more titles from Daiei’s SFX catalog (Not just the Yokai films, but also the likes of Demon of Mt. Oe and especially Whale God, which is honestly superior to most Toho Kaiju films) While not as large, I’d call it just as diverse as Toho’s, maybe even slightly more so.
I agree as even rifftrax has access to an HD print of the film I believe for their somewhat recent riff on it. Which regardless of its state is pretty cheap as you can actual get a digital download file for it in case they don't use it on the bluray as it's better than the old Neptune video just for the fact it's in HD lol
Last edited by G-MAN on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^ So...Terasawa, thanks for your response both here, and at MZ forums about the *best source* for AIP-TV Gamera films. What in your opinion is the *Best* source currently of Gammera the Invincible? Neptune Media's version (I actually have this VHS), the version streaming on Amazon currently, or another source perhaps? (I cant comment on the UCLA one since I don't know much about it)

Also, I have the Rifftax version of Gammera the Invincible, I assume it's using the same source as the one on Amazon currently?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!