Scorpion Releasing hints at "Japanese Monsters" on Blu-ray

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Scorpion Releasing hints at "Japanese Monsters" on Blu-ray

Post by Terasawa »

"Anguirus" is the official English name but many fans use "Angilas" out of habit (and because it's closer to the Japanese pronunciation). There are numerous other examples too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

My # 1 hunch is still Voyage Into Space due to the MGM connection.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godsteigman wrote:My # 1 hunch is still Voyage Into Space due to the MGM connection.
If they ever did that film in a quality DVD release (and I do mean quality), I'd definitely get it so that I could put it with my copy of Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot: The Complete Series.

Then I'd have the entire American dubbed version of the story - the TV series and the TV movie. Is that great or what?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Any more news about these releases yet? I'd like to see what they're going to bring out (if anything).

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

mikelcho wrote:Any more news about these releases yet? I'd like to see what they're going to bring out (if anything).
If there was it'd be posted in here by now.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

No update, so sorry if I bamboozled anyone.

Wanted to post in here since Voyage Into Space has been mentioned a few times: for those who want to catch it, it will be on Comet TV on the Nov. 11 at 2 am. It also ran yesterday afternoon, so knowing Comet it will likely be played a few more times this month or next. Keep an eye out if you have to miss it on the 11th.

Didn't think this warranted its own thread, and since it's not a Toho movie it shouldn't go in the Toho Films on TV topic.

Comet link here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BabyG1975
Ronin

Post by BabyG1975 »

I'm taking that nothing came from this announcement? Nothing actually got announced or released?
"Listen kid... Theirs two things you don't know about the Earth, one is me, the other Godzilla"- Captain Gordon Godzilla Final Wars

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I tweeted about it once and August Ragone said it's still in the works.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Huh. I'm still perplexed as to what it could be. I hoped it was Human Vapor/Gorath.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^^I I think I saw that tweet/response. It sounded like Scorpion Releasing is a VERY small company, so it doesn't take much to cause major setbacks.
Hopefully things work out.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Rody wrote:^^I I think I saw that tweet/response. It sounded like Scorpion Releasing is a VERY small company, so it doesn't take much to cause major setbacks.
Hopefully things work out.

Scorpion Releasing's owner Walt Olsen has been having some very serious medical issues the last two years or so, so this couldn't be more true.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ That's a shame! It's sometimes amazing to learn how some of these great boutique media and publishing labels are labors of love by often very small groups of people.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Scorpion gave an update on their MGM films today on Facebook:
Here’s a sneak peak of the first of NINE MGM films Scorpion Releasing has partnered with Kino Lorber to release. Similar to the releases of a few years back, these several Kino Lorber Blu-rays will be fully produced by Walt Olsen, who will also oversee 6 brand new upcoming HD transfers.
From the Rene Cardona Jr., the acclaimed director of “SURVIVE!”, comes this thrilling adventure with some jaw-dropping shark attack thrills!
Hugo Stiglitz, Andres Garcia and Susan George are caught up in a love triangle on the high seas, until a giant monstrous shark shows up to chomp up all that love nonsense! Also starring Fiona Lewis and Jennifer Ashley.
TINTORERA, a large and vicious tiger shark that won’t let up, is terrorizing boaters and beachgoers everywhere. It’s every swimmer’s worst nightmare! Will anyone survive?
TINTORERA will be presented in its superior US release version. Grab on tight to your bikinis and speedos, because this ridiculous shark-horror-sleaze-melodrama will be biting its way onto Blu-Ray very soon!
#ScorpionReleasing #Tintorera #TigerShark
Source.

So, out of the MGM nine films, it looks like six are getting "new HD transfers". Notably, Scorpion is only releasing the US version of the film they announced today, Tintorera.

If they're releasing Gorath/Human Vapor/The Last War, then that might account for three of the six new transfers. Given how they're handling Tintorera, they might also only include the US versions (that would also sidestep any nonsense they'd have to put up with from Toho in order to include the Japanese versions of those films).

Voyage into Space and The Magic Serpent are still possibilities as well.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ Some nuggets about this from this CHFB thread:
This morning Kino announced a Blu-ray of Robert Aldrich's ATTACK!, saying it was the first in a new "smaller" licensing deal with MGM. I'm not holding my breath for any unreleased classic horror or sci-fi; Kino has said in the past that many of those titles have been disappointments. Also, with a number of labs still at limited capacity, they might try to focus on titles for which HD masters are already available.
&
The Insider shot down RED PLANET MARS, and said they did not pick up any 3D titles because sales have been disappointing. He also commented:
6 of the title had been previously released on Blu-ray in the US, 2 of those will be released on 4K for the first time, 2 others will receive new transfers. All others will be coming out first time on BD. 9 of the films are Kino Lorber releases requested by Walt Olsen from Scorpion, he will oversee those releases and 6 new transfers.
If Kino has gone cold on classic sci-fi and horror, maybe Walt will include one or two along his 9 titles.
&
The Kino Insider continues to be very discouraging about "B" sci-fi/horror/cult titles. When someone brought up BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER, he wrote:
I don't think so, the numbers for these types of titles were not good five years ago, they would be much worse today. Also, I think all of the titles are not available in HD, making them even more riskier.
Jameson281 is a very reliable insider, so his Kino insider should be considered reliable too, but unfortunately there's not enough info here to be certain of anything.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think Kino Insider is a Blu-ray.com forum user. Pretty sure I've seen him in threads on Kino releases; I checked the Konga thread a fair amount for a while just because of the long gap between the announcement and the release.

EDIT: Don't see him in the Konga thread; probably was a general KL thread
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I know KL Insider is an employee of KL studio classics, in fact it's three people. All KL employees. The original insider "Misterlime" Scott Peck left KL and was replaced by three people. One said his name is Andrew. I know who the other two but I will keep it to myself because Im sure that the others would rather not have their names spread across the internet. And I respect their privacy.
None of them work for Blu-ray. com or Home Theater Forum and do work for KL. I can assure you of that.

I said before I think Scorpion has Voyage Into Space - I still believe that's the Japanese Monsters that he was referring to. It would be great if he had the whole Johnny Sokko series ! :)
Last edited by Godsteigman on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

If that's true, then that's another one I'm going to have to get once it's confirmed. It'll be a nice companion to Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot: The Complete Series, which I've already got.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

Maybe that is why it hasnt been announced, perhaps Voyage Into Space will be accompanied by Johnny Sokko - the complete series on Blu-ray. They could be remastering the entire series ! A lot of titles with Shout Factory have gone OOP as of late.
Last edited by Godsteigman on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

After so much speculating, Voyage Into Space has been announced as the title.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27786
Scorpion Releasing has revealed that it is preparing a Blu-ray release of Minoru Yamada's Voyage Into Space (1970), starring Mitsunobu Kaneko, Akio Itô, Jerry Berke, and Toshiyuki Tsuchiyama. The release is expected to arrive on the market early next year.

Synopsis: Pulled together using several episodes of Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, Voyage Into Space has young Johnny and Giant Robot (who can only be controlled by Johnny) taking on Emperor Guillotine and his army of silly but fun kaiju henchmen. This title will be available at Ronin Flix. The first 800 units will include a mostly text-less Limited Edition Slipcover featuring artwork by Kung Fu Bob (Scorpion's Lone Wolf McQuade).
Kind of funny considering I'm in the middle of rewatching Johnny Sokko right now. That cover is badass.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Great! I can finally finish my Johnny Sokko collection!

Now, if only the TV series was on Blu-ray and was a Japanese version/American version combination like every other tokusatsu release is out there (I'm looking at you, Shout! Factory), that would be great!
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.