Official Godzilla/Tokusatsu 35mm/16mm Print Watchlist Thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Preservation of Godzilla 35mm/16mm Film Prints?

Post by Servanov »

I was on a thread regarding the restoration in 4k of Godzilla movies in Japan, which got me to thinking, where are all the 35mm or 16mm prints or even scans of Godzilla movies? I am aware that it was mostly the Showa Series that was released in the US, but in most cases there are at least a few prints left behind. There's a very good podcast episode from some Star Wars fans called the Expanded Fandomverse, in which they talk to a member of the pretty well known group TeamNegative1, who goes about digitally preserving and restoring 35mm film prints of the Star Wars films. They aren't the only ones, either. There are several others who do the same thing by themselves over on Original Trilogy.com like Williarob and Poita. My question is why hasn't the Godzilla fan community done something like this for Godzilla films. I think it would be awesome to watch a scan from and authentic film print of a Godzilla film. It would be amazing for the Godzilla fan community if we could see good HD scans of film prints. I myself own 2 trailers for Godzilla movies, Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs. Megalon. Even seeing those trailers scanned would be awesome. I really hope someone who has a good HD film scanner and someone who may possibly even own a good print of a Godzilla film would get together and have it available in HD. I would love to see this happen!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Preservation of Godzilla 35mm/16mm Film Prints?

Post by goji1986 »

It would be wonderful for sure, but the fans who own these prints are extremely protective of them because Toho will quite literally hunt them down should they ever reveal themselves.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

That's very true. Apparently all the Classic Media English versions had to be based off of collector's prints, as well. I wonder what they would think of something like trailer scans.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Most fans care more about Bandais and other toys than the movies themselves nowadays. Besides that Toho is very strict about their film prints and fans using them.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Servanov wrote:That's very true. Apparently all the Classic Media English versions had to be based off of collector's prints, as well. I wonder what they would think of something like trailer scans.
I'm curious where you got that information; I think I've heard that the Criterion transfer of KotM was based on a collector's print, but from what I can tell most of CM's releases were based on existing video transfers - KotM used the same master as past VHS releases (with the end credits taken from 16mm elements IIRC), Gigantis used a similar source with the video generated "Godzilla Raids Again" title card that appeared in later TV airings, Ghidrah used an old video master for the audio and opening credits, and I don't know what kind of sources they used for the UPA cut of ToMG.

Godzilla vs. the Thing, Monster Zero and Godzilla's Revenge used (I believe) Monsters HD transfers of the films (in the latter two's case, just for English visuals and credits), which might've come from prints owned by collectors, but to my knowledge Classic Media didn't scan any new elements themselves.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Hmm. I heard somewhere that GRA was from Steve Ryfle's or Ed Godziszewski's personal print. I guess that isn't right. Unrelated, but I heard somewhere that at one time there was a 35mm print of 85 on ebay (a while ago obviously) and it was bought. I also wonder if anyone on TK is able to scan 35mm film prints, because I personally have a few trailers, and it would be cool to see them scanned.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I don't know what kind of sources they used for the UPA cut of ToMG.
That, too, was from Monsters HD.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Gotcha. I do wonder where Monsters HD got their elements, though.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I don't know about the other films but for 85 it's pretty well known that they used a 35mm workprint for their broadcast, which raises a lot of questions. How and where did they get it? Why use a workprint and not the theatrical version? Is this an officially owned studio copy (meaning it was from Warner Bros or Toho or New World's film archives). What happened to that print after they scanned it and broadcast it? I'm currently trying to find a method to get my 35mm trailers scanned. Haven't been able to find any company that will scan copyrighted material, and I don't know of any person who scans 35mm motion picture film. If someone does, hit me up please.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I doubt any legitimate company will scan something a client hasn't got the rights to, at least not officially. You might want to register on OriginalTrilogy and get in touch with someone in the fan preservations subforum who's released an original scan of a film; if they didn't do it themselves they might get you in contact with whoever did.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Yeah that's what I thought, as well. I'm going to see if I can get that to happen if possible.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Servanov wrote:Hmm. I heard somewhere that GRA was from Steve Ryfle's or Ed Godziszewski's personal print. I guess that isn't right.
No, that's not right. Ed's print of Rodan or KOTM sometimes makes the rounds, but he doesn't have a GRA.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

crowzilla wrote:
Servanov wrote:Hmm. I heard somewhere that GRA was from Steve Ryfle's or Ed Godziszewski's personal print. I guess that isn't right.
No, that's not right. Ed's print of Rodan or KOTM sometimes makes the rounds, but he doesn't have a GRA.
Did Criterion use Ed Godziszewski's print of Godzilla : King of the Monsters for its release? That print is in better shape overall than the Japanese prints stored in Toho's vaults.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

If there's a better quality 35mm print of GODZILLA VS. THE THING, I'm willing to buy that.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Great Hierophant wrote:Did Criterion use Ed Godziszewski's print of Godzilla : King of the Monsters for its release? That print is in better shape overall than the Japanese prints stored in Toho's vaults.
I think that was used for the end credits on the 2006 CM release. Criterion managed to obtain a different print, if I remember correctly.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

G-Matt wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:Did Criterion use Ed Godziszewski's print of Godzilla : King of the Monsters for its release? That print is in better shape overall than the Japanese prints stored in Toho's vaults.
I think that was used for the end credits on the 2006 CM release. Criterion managed to obtain a different print, if I remember correctly.
Classic Media used Ed Godziszewski's 16mm print of Godzilla: King of the Monsters to reinstate some missing elements in their 2006 release, but the bulk of that release relies on the UPA master from the 80s. Criterion found a fine grain print for King of the Monsters, which they used in their release.

Source: https://augustragone.blogspot.com/2011/ ... zilla.html

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

https://www.facebook.com/tony.mills.549 ... 6853159942

Someone's selling a 35mm print of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 74 (unsure if it's "Bionic" or "Cosmic" Monster). Only $250!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

goji1986 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/tony.mills.549 ... 6853159942

Someone's selling a 35mm print of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 74 (unsure if it's "Bionic" or "Cosmic" Monster). Only $250!
The print is so faded to red that it is useless as a projection print. The images could possibly be salvaged after a scan and color adjustment. I wonder if they needed some WD-40 just to open the film canister.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Official Godzilla/Tokusatsu 35mm/16mm Print Watchlist Thread

Post by Servanov »

Hey everyone! I didn't see a thread like this, so I decided I'd make one. This thread is basically for the analog film movie collectors who are interested in buying 35mm or 16mm prints of Godzilla, Toho, Kaiju, Tokusatsu, or monster movies, and letting people who are interested know if any film prints are available that you've found on eBay or the like. This also includes trailers for films, as well.

So far I've found a 16mm print of Godzilla vs The Thing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Godzilla-Vs-Th ... 16mm&rt=nc

If you ever see a print for sale, let the people know on this thread!
Last edited by Servanov on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Official Godzilla/Tokusatsu 35mm/16mm Print Watchlist Thread

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Those auctions are by a notorious scammer in film collecting circles, Naushad Mohamed:

From http://www.35mmforum.com:
As a service to anyone who's relatively new to collecting, I just want to warn you about an infamous film seller who operates from South Africa. He's currently back on eBay (as seller "video786") offering, among other things, a 35mm trailer to Dario Argento's BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE for $50 Buy It Now. It says free postage, but if you read the description, you'll see that the postage is not free at all. Please note that this individual is NOT TO BE TRUSTED: not with his descriptions, nor with his shipping, nor with anything else. Many members of this forum were majorly ripped off by this piece of shit. He'll smooth-talk you, befriend you, make you feel favored, offer you access to lotsa cool rare stuff, and then when he has your trust (and your money) he will more often than not screw you over, either sending vastly inferior prints/trailers, or not sending anything at all, coming up with LIE after LIE after LIE. I doubt anyone here wants to dredge up their past misadventures w/ Naushad in detail, as it was a most painful experience for many, but mark my words: You do NOT want to deal with this guy. He is a liar. DON'T GIVE IN TO TEMPTATION-- you will be RIPPED OFF!!!