Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks! That's a big help.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I've double checked and both discs are in fact region free.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks again! I can't wait to see all three of them! And I got a first pressing with the booklet inside!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

For those who are interested I did a through review of the site for the main site.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blu-ray/the ... lms18.html

It's really a terrific set isn't it? Lake of Dracula was my favorite of the films as well. Best story and really impactful imagery.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I just finished watching all three of the films and they were excellent!!!

If I had to pick a favorite, though, it would have to be Lake of Dracula. That was the first one of the three films that I ever knew about before I even knew that there was a trilogy to begin with and the only one in which Count Dracula was actually involved in the story, even if it was only off-screen.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

mikelcho wrote:Well, I just finished watching all three of the films and they were excellent!!!

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Lake of Dracula . That was the first one of the three films that I ever knew about and the only one in which Dracula was actually part of the story, even though it was off-screen.
That was my favorite as well. Had the best imagery of all three films.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Did anyone see that the subtitles for the first film called it Legacy of Dracula: The Vampire Doll? I wonder, therefore, if that should be considered the official English-language title for that film. Am I right?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote:Did anyone see that the subtitles for the first film called it Legacy of Dracula: The Vampire Doll? I wonder, therefore, if that should be considered the official English-language title for that film. Am I right?
If Toho doesn't list it as such in their catalogs, then no, it's something the subtitles just call it. It's not a bad title though.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

As I mentioned in the other thread in the Showa sub-forum, "Legacy of Dracula" seems to be an alternate title that was most notably used on the PAL R2 DVD release in the early 2000s. "The Vampire Doll" is Toho's official English title and has been used since the '70s. The copyright notice on the Arrow Blu-Ray set makes no mention of "Legacy of Dracula," which you'd expect if it was the official title. ("The Vampire Doll © 1970 Toho Co. Ltd.")
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

The trilogy is set for a Brazilian release in March by DarkFlix as "A Trilogia dos Vampiros."

I'm stoked!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:As I mentioned in the other thread in the Showa sub-forum, "Legacy of Dracula" seems to be an alternate title that was most notably used on the PAL R2 DVD release in the early 2000s. "The Vampire Doll" is Toho's official English title and has been used since the '70s. The copyright notice on the Arrow Blu-Ray set makes no mention of "Legacy of Dracula," which you'd expect if it was the official title. ("The Vampire Doll © 1970 Toho Co. Ltd.")
Thanks for the info.

I think that I saw somewhere that Legacy of Dracula might've been the U.K. title for The Vampire Doll. Is this the same thing as the DVD that you're referring to here and in the Showa subforum?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I picked up this set for the current Arrow 50% Off Sale price of $25. So much fun, with a strong Hammer/Terence Fisher influence. It would be great if Arrow could do a Toho Frankenstein double feature.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Thanks for the tip :)