Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
gfan84
Samurai

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by gfan84 »

Is there any chance of the heisei and milleniumm films finally getting proper subtitled release by any dvd company other than tristar?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gfan84 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:21 pm Is there any chance of the heisei and milleniumm films finally getting proper subtitled release by any dvd company other than tristar?
Not impossible but also nowhere near likely.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

I dont want to make anybody mad but tristar seemed to put no effort into their ehsei and millenium blu rays

Added in 8 minutes 8 seconds:
Somebody answer me this. Does criterion or even kino lorber, shout factory or arrow video plans to gget the rights to the heisei, mellenium, and rewai series? Is there any sort of rumors?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

gfan84 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:53 pm I dont want to make anybody mad but tristar seemed to put no effort into their ehsei and millenium blu rays

Added in 8 minutes 8 seconds:
Somebody answer me this. Does criterion or even kino lorber, shout factory or arrow video plans to gget the rights to the heisei, mellenium, and rewai series? Is there any sort of rumors?
Nobody knows. But chances are slim to zero that Criterion would be the company to do it.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

I think criterion is blowing perfect potential there. I hope the afor mentioned componies or some company other than tristar will give them the full uncut versions. What do you think about it?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'd rather Sony just release their best scans of each of these movies, because any other company that might get these in the near future is just gonna use the lousy Toho transfers.

Except for Godzilla vs Destoroyah, Rebirth of Mothra 3, and maybe a couple other films, Sony's 2014 Blu-rays use the Toho transfers most of the time, with Sony-scanned footage only during scenes that had a lot of Japanese text (subtitles, etc.) in the Toho HiVision transfers. For example, most of the Godzillasaurus sequence in Sony's Godzilla vs King Ghidorah Blu-ray is huge improvement over the same scenes in the Toho transfer.

Toho:
Resized Image

Sony BD:
Resized Image

Full-res comparison screenshots here. Also, screenshots comparing the Toho Blu-ray, Sony Blu-ray, and Sony iTunes transfers of Godzilla vs Mothra. And Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

gfan84 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm I think criterion is blowing perfect potential there. I hope the afor mentioned componies or some company other than tristar will give them the full uncut versions. What do you think about it?
I’d recommend you reread this entire thread (or at least go back to when the set was formally announced and released) and you’ll see why Criterion likely never wants to touch anything Godzilla-related ever again.

We’re more likely to see Criterion release Rodan and War of the Gargantuas since they were included in the package that gave them the rights to the Showa Godzilla movies. But don’t hold your breath on anything spectacular in terms of better transfers and their respective English versions.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Do you think arrow video or shout factory or kino lorber would? I still think criterion is blowing lot of potential regardless. Thanks for telling

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

No one here knows, but considering at least nine of the films in question are still under license to Sony it seems unlikely that another company is gonna want to swoop in and sublicense those films (and acquire the others) for a collected box set that's gonna be hamstrung by Toho.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

gfan84 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:18 am Do you think arrow video or shout factory or kino lorber would? I still think criterion is blowing lot of potential regardless. Thanks for telling
Again...I’d recommend you reread this thread. This has been discussed endlessly.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm I'd rather Sony just release their best scans of each of these movies, because any other company that might get these in the near future is just gonna use the lousy Toho transfers.

Except for Godzilla vs Destoroyah, Rebirth of Mothra 3, and maybe a couple other films, Sony's 2014 Blu-rays use the Toho transfers most of the time, with Sony-scanned footage only during scenes that had a lot of Japanese text (subtitles, etc.) in the Toho HiVision transfers. For example, most of the Godzillasaurus sequence in Sony's Godzilla vs King Ghidorah Blu-ray is huge improvement over the same scenes in the Toho transfer.
I think we should rename Toho's transfers from HiVision to "Haze-Vision". Those screenshots show a lot of fog-like haziness.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe one day Sony could do the same thing as Criterion and release every Toho-produced Godzilla film from 1991-2016 in one set. While they're at it, they should get Funimation to re-dub most of the films, considering how the majority of those dubs don't exactly hold up.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:32 pm Maybe one day Sony could do the same thing as Criterion and release every Toho-produced Godzilla film from 1991-2016 in one set. While they're at it, they should get Funimation to re-dub most of the films, considering how the majority of those dubs don't exactly hold up.
Unfortunately that would cost money, and Toho cant even be bothered to permit dubs that already exist and are objectively superior to the Toho produced ones in the Showa era films. I mean Gigan,Megalon,MG, and ToMG are not the best, but it's all we've ever known, and those films are all 45-50 years old. We are shockingly 25 years removed from the last Heisei Era Godzilla film. None of the dubs are really great, but again it's all we've known. I'd imagine its kind of like how I was watching those late Showa era films in the 80's/early 90's people have just gotten used to it. I think that's what Toho ultimately wants for all their English dubs, but the ones that exist from Titra/Titan will never be forgotten. Aslo every generation or so when you get a G2000, or a Shin Godzilla, dubbed by a Non-Toho entity, and see how vastly superior it is, it will remind people of what could possibly be.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The only reason thirteen films (or fourteen I guess if we're randomly including Shin as well) would be redubbed would be if the previous versions ceased to exist, and that's almost certainly not happening.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 pm The only reason thirteen films (or fourteen I guess if we're randomly including Shin as well) would be redubbed would be if the previous versions ceased to exist, and that's almost certainly not happening.
I think the assumption is that since Sony Pictures Television bought a controlling interest in Funimation that Shin would be on the table for this hypothetical Sony box set
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Sony themselves should release everything from 1991-2016, not Criterion.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:44 am Sony themselves should release everything from 1991-2016, not Criterion.

Sony has already released every Godzilla movie from 1991 to 2004 on North American BRD, and Funimation released the 2016 flick.

If Sony suddenly decided to release a BRD box set with all of their Godzilla movies, their track record indicates that it would just be all of the same discs that they released in 2014 collected together in one set.

Sony released four DVD box sets way back in 2004 to capitalize on Godzilla's 50th anniversary. All of the discs included in those sets were exactly the same DVDs that Sony had already released individually, with G2K still lacking the Japanese version. They did not bother to do new subtitle translations for GMK or anything else.

Image Image Image Image

A decade later, when Sony finally released the Japanese versions of the Heisei films and G2K on BRD to capitalize on the 2014 Hollywood reboot, they also reissued their same old King Ghidorah/Mothra and GMK DVDs as a triple feature set:

A year later, in October 2015, they cranked out two budget DVD packs. Vol. 1 was six movies on three DVDs and all of them were dubbed-only just like Sony's previous DVD releases. Vol. 2 was seven movies on four DVDs and they actually left out the Japanese audio from MG'93 even though their previous DVD was dual-language. G2K was again just the US version and GFW was identical to its original DVD, while the other movies had only the Japanese audio with English subtitles without their dubs. Rebirth of Mothra 3 was still left out of the DVDs. Strangely, aside from GFW, none of the DVDs in these sets were recycled backstock; they were newly authored, single-sided DVDs containing two movies apiece, and Sony still didn't bother to revise any of the subtitles.

Image Image

Then a year after that, in October 2016, coinciding with Funimation's limited theatrical release of Shin Godzilla, Sony dipped into the Godzilla/Mothra well one more time by putting all seven of those DVDs from Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 together in one set.

That was the last time that Sony released anything Godzilla-related. There was another new Hollywood Godzilla film in 2019 and Sony didn't even bother to capitalize on it. Their licensed rights to Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra were up for renewal in 2019 but now their BRD set with those two flicks seems to be out of print. Sony apparently is moving on from Godzilla. Be sure to get their BRDs while they're still available for cheap prices.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:30 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:44 am Sony themselves should release everything from 1991-2016, not Criterion.
*Snip*
I am personally hoping Arrow gets the Heisei/Millennium era stuff. Just imagine a box set like their Gamera one, if even just for artwork alone. Criterion has already showed us they don't give a rat's ass about what the artist draws, so long as its Godzilla.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Arrow reps have mentioned in interviews that they're intimidated by Toho's way of licensing material so I wouldn't expect anything from them.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

If CRITERION - who has released plenty of other Toho films with minimal restrictions and special features aplenty - can’t get around Toho’s insane licensing demands, nobody can.