Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:08 pm Again, what could Criterion do that Sony couldn't?
Good, accurate subtitles. RoG's subs seem to be OK (and props to them for translating the Russian dialogue -- NOT the Japanese subtitles), but I think the remaining six films were either dubtitled or had new scripts which were primarily adapted from their respective dubs. These films totally deserve quality brand new translations.

But that's it. A prospective Criterion Heisei Godzilla box set would be an absolute pass for me because I already have all seven of those films via their Toho Video releases. I can't imagine that, besides subtitles and an Alex Cox interview, Criterion would include bonus features that aren't already on those discs.

OH! Criterion might also include the mono mix of RoG's dub; Kraken offered only a new 5.1 remix. (However, if the Showa collection is any indication, dub audio from Toho will be lossy, so this is probably a wash lol.)

I also wouldn't advise anyone to feel optimistic that future U.S. releases will use Toho 4K masters. For one thing, of the Heisei Series films, only Biollante has received that treatment so far. Furthermore, King Kong vs. Godzilla is the only one of approx. a dozen Toho films with a 4K master released on disc anywhere in the world. Toho has been remastering their films but either limiting them to theatrical and satellite TV avenues or sitting on them altogether.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The only thing that would get me to buy the Heisei set is if Toho gave Criterion the making-of supplementals on the films. They've popped up on all Toho disc releases since the laserdiscs and I'd love to see them subtitled.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:00 pm The only thing that would get me to buy. Heisei set is if Toho gave Criterion the making-of supplementals on the films. They've popped up on all Toho disc releases since the laserdiscs and I'd love to see them subtitled.
The versions on the DVDs and Blu-rays are missing material that was on the LaserDisc Making-Ofs. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is the only one whose Making-Of wasn't included on the Blu-ray release. (At least it's not on my 2010 pressing of the disc.)
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Angilasman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:11 pm
omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am Janus lean on Toho to remaster more of these films instead of just buying more HiVisions challenge
With the push to 4K I'm ever so slightly more optimistic that the next releases these films get will be substantially improved.
That's going to be a very, VERY long time from now, if it ever happens at all.
I'm optimistic. Feels like the home video market as a more specialized, boutique thing is getting more entrenched and robust. I can wait.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The only one with any chance to see Western release will be the 1954 original. It just got a 4K run at the Alamo Drafthouse and Criterion is re-releasing some of their back catalog in 4K.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:48 pm The only one with any chance to see Western release will be the 1954 original. It just got a 4K run at the Alamo Drafthouse and Criterion is re-releasing some of their back catalog in 4K.
I wouldn't count on ANYTHING coming out on 4K physical media here until they're released on disc in Japan. And even that will be a while.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Malchik wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:52 pm If the Heisei and Millennium series were to get a box release I'd prefer Arrow Video to publish it. Both of their deluxe and standard Gamera sets are stellar and a much better buy for your buck.
Arrow would be at the mercy of Toho’s draconian licensing policies, the same as Criterion. What makes Arrow’s Gamera set so stellar is that Kadokawa was much more willing to share and not charge an arm or a leg for their supplemental materials.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Great Hierophant wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:00 pm I guess it is probably a good idea that I store my Criterion Showa Set flat and not on its bottom edge.
No problems with mine (so far) but I'll be doing this too.

But yeah at least with Arrow we'll get better subtitles and packaging art.

At this point Arrow can release whatever they want in the realm of toku/kaiju and I'll pick it up.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:13 am But yeah at least with Arrow we'll get better subtitles and packaging art.
Not necessarily. Their most recent toku releases have been cleaned up existing translations, including in some cases fansubs or worse (Warning from Space). The subtitle issue has been the big black mark on the Arrow releases, IMO. Criterion at least all-but guarantees a new translation by industry professionals.

Dogora is one Toho film I'd like to see Arrow tackle, though, if only because they might be able to get Toho to sign off on MGM supplying dubbed elements. American International only reused Toho's export dub for that film, but a fresh transfer from even 16mm film would be preferable to the awful possibly tape-sourced audio Media Blasters received. Generally speaking, though, Arrow's no better off on the bonus feature front with Toho than other label would be.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Well, you guys got me freaked out so I went out and bought some cases for my Criterion discs.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

It was in November 2020, just over a year after Criterion released their Showa Godzilla collection, when the book packaging began deteriorating on a lot of people’s sets, including mine. The glue holding the outermost panel of the disc page to the back panel melts over time, allowing the discs to slide down into the glue if the set is stored upright.

I tried gluing paper sleeves over every disc’s slot so I could instead put the discs in those but it prevented the book from closing properly. My solution was to carefully rip out the outermost panel of the disc page and use Goo Gone to completely remove any trace of glue from the back panel. I then glued my paper sleeves to that fully exposed back panel and I’ve stored the discs in those sleeves, allowing the book to close properly.

For those who would prefer a less ghetto solution, the users at Blu-Ray.com have you covered:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... count=5026
mogwai_macabre wrote:Image

OK so here is my solution. I've only had the set for about 2 weeks, and disc 4 had already slid all the way under disc 3. Glue all over the bottom of disc 4! Disc 3 had also slid down a little.

So I have these little disc hubs I use for adding discs to Steelbooks, etc. I put each disc on a hub. Then I just slide the disc and hub into place like normal. The the hub catches on the packaging and prevents the disc from sliding down! The book still closes fine too.

I believe I won't actually have to adhere the hubs to the packaging, right now the paper backing for the adhesive has not been removed.

I strongly recommend doing something, because if that glue ever dries solid on the disc forget it.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... count=5029
mogwai_macabre wrote:
wasert456 wrote:Please tell me where you got these. I literally found out earlier this week my discs were starting to slide and I didn’t even know where to begin figuring out a solution.
Search Amazon, eBay, etc. for "cd hub center". The specific item listing I bought on Amazon doesn't exist anymore (I've had these for awhile).
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... count=5028
BluProofie wrote:Much better solution: New 4 Viva Elite 15mm Blu-ray Replacement Case Hold 4 Discs (4 Tray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF5KN3M

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ Thanks for the link, might have to go for a couple replacement cases myself.

Sounds like somebody needs to update this savage meme -

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Agh, my Criterion set's falling apart as well. Guess I'm in the market for a replacement case.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Thanks to my small shelves, this big dude is now stored flat after a short time upright with my Neca's Godzillas. Guess I'll have to check, though. I did it once, early: one disc was slipping and I had to clean it. Then, since all things went flat, I kinda forgot it :)

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Yeah, I've been storing mine flat (albeit awkwardly) on my media shelf. Haven't had any issues with discs slipping around, though to be honest, since I initially purchase it, I've watched very little of it, It was purchased mostly to have all original Japanese versions of the films, which is nice, but I prefer to watch classic dubs when possible, which is missing from most of this set.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tbeasley wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:16 am Sounds like somebody needs to update this savage meme -
Haha hey I made this lol

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

I just use an 8-disc DVD case for my Criterion Godzilla BDs. I crudely created art by writing basic info on the set on a piece of paper ripped in half to fit the case. I also did basically the same with the discs from the Gamera Arrow set, and the Alien Anthology BD set (among a few others)
Friends don't lie.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

John Pannozzi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:47 pm I just use an 8-disc DVD case for my Criterion Godzilla BDs. I crudely created art by writing basic info on the set on a piece of paper ripped in half to fit the case. I also did basically the same with the discs from the Gamera Arrow set, and the Alien Anthology BD set (among a few others)
Is the Gamera Arrow set at risk of the same thing?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Spuro wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:01 pm
John Pannozzi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:47 pm I just use an 8-disc DVD case for my Criterion Godzilla BDs. I crudely created art by writing basic info on the set on a piece of paper ripped in half to fit the case. I also did basically the same with the discs from the Gamera Arrow set, and the Alien Anthology BD set (among a few others)
Is the Gamera Arrow set at risk of the same thing?
No.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So f you had your set flat the damage doesn't happen to the set because my has been flat since I bought it.

Added in 22 seconds:
I checked and no damage so far.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image