Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by tbeasley »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:15 amDoes anyone have a link to downloadable custom BD case covers for this set? I can find some awesome ones searching but can’t seem to find the actual files for printing my own…
Matt Frank was selling a design (originally a commission) but I don't know if it's available anymore.

With these problems I can't help but wonder if Criterion could do a 'standard' edition (similar to Arrow's Gamera sets), perhaps allowing you to trade in your old case for a new one.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That looks alright but I’d prefer one that at least resembles the criterion set art. I found one (see below) that looked great but it was broken into two sets for four discs each. I’d like to have one case with all 8 discs. Plus I can’t find the high res images to download anyway.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I don't think they make Criterion-style plastic cases that hold more than four discs. You'd have to find something designed for a more typical 8-disc Blu-ray case.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Ooooohhh…. I didn’t even notice the criterion case is designed differently than a standard BD case! But now I see the plastic sleeve that holds the cover goes all the way to the top rather than leaving some space for the blu-ray logo. Learn something new every day.

Well, regardless. I want a single 8 disc case to put these in. Anyone know of any decent customs covers for an 8 disc case? While I’d prefer art that at least resembles the actual package art, at this point I’d take anything that looks decent. It’d be nice to maybe have a list telling what sub/dub options are included with each film on the back, but I suppose beggars can’t be choosers.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Though it hasn’t been posted publicly on their website yet, Janus has announced via email they’ve officially added Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante to their roster of films for theatrical screenings.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I just got my 8-disc case in, haven’t made a cover yet, but one of my discs (4) slid behind and got adhesive on it. Luckily it was only a little that water and dish soap were able to remove. Watching the movies now at x5 speed to see if there’s any issues. Ebirah seems okay so far.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Depressingly subpar-to-average Blu-ray box set with (literally) short shelf life due when?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I guess it is probably a good idea that I store my Criterion Showa Set flat and not on its bottom edge.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Although Kraken's release of RoG and Echo Bridge G vs Bio aren't perfect, I can't imagine Criterion doing any better after the limitations Togo put on them previously.

Only if we got a legit G1985 release and perhaps a version of Biollante with English title card and the Japanese subtitles removed ( aka the Miramax version), otherwise it would offer nothing new.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I finally got back home and was able to check my set.

Looks like I (mostly) caught it on time. All but Disk 4 (Ebirah, SoG, and DAM) were fine, but Disk 4 has began to slip under. I was able to fish it out and use a wet microfiber cloth to clean the glue off the edge of the disk. It LOOKS fine now, but I'll have to watch the three movies today to see if there's any problems. I currently have the rest of the disks stored in an old portable CD case.

Thank you for informing the public, everyone.

Edit: So how does one buy custom blu ray cases anyway?
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Spuro wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:27 am So how does one buy custom blu ray cases anyway?
I got mine through Amazon.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

o.supreme wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:15 pm Although Kraken's release of RoG and Echo Bridge G vs Bio aren't perfect, I can't imagine Criterion doing any better after the limitations Togo put on them previously.

Only if we got a legit G1985 release and perhaps a version of Biollante with English title card and the Japanese subtitles removed ( aka the Miramax version), otherwise it would offer nothing new.
I’m surprised Janus picked up the rights to those. But it’s hard to see Criterion doing a Hesei set, even if they pick up the allegedly expired rights to Vs. KG and Vs.M. They’d have to wait for the rest still, and then they don’t have the same cultural impact or importance as the Showa movies, so maybe release them under Eclipse? But I can’t see Toho being okay with Just DVDs. In 2022 or whatever. So unless they’re going to Criterion’s new 4k series (which I guess I can see them doing “budget” 4K releases to pad their line), I can see them just sitting on it for a while. Although-they could finally release it with Rodan and Gargantus with them in an Eclipse set…

I dunno. It just seems like a weird move unless they’re only interested in distribution. And even if they did a Hesei set I can’t see them picking up the Millennium movies for anything other than “We have them all” .

I COULD see them trying to release Shin through Criterion some years down the road though.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Janus lean on Toho to remaster more of these films instead of just buying more HiVisions challenge
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

KingCornetto wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:37 am
I’m surprised Janus picked up the rights to those. But it’s hard to see Criterion doing a Hesei set, even if they pick up the allegedly expired rights to Vs. KG and Vs.M. They’d have to wait for the rest still, and then they don’t have the same cultural impact or importance as the Showa movies, so maybe release them under Eclipse? But I can’t see Toho being okay with Just DVDs. In 2022 or whatever. So unless they’re going to Criterion’s new 4k series (which I guess I can see them doing “budget” 4K releases to pad their line), I can see them just sitting on it for a while. Although-they could finally release it with Rodan and Gargantus with them in an Eclipse set…

I dunno. It just seems like a weird move unless they’re only interested in distribution. And even if they did a Hesei set I can’t see them picking up the Millennium movies for anything other than “We have them all” .

I COULD see them trying to release Shin through Criterion some years down the road though.
I could see this as Criterion laying the groundwork for a Heisei/Millennium (1984-2004) set that would look aesthetically similar to the Showa one, but like the Showa one it would be Blu Ray, not DVD.

Unfortunately unless it contained what I mentionec earlier, I don't know how much draw it would have since there really aren't any nostalgic dubs or alternate cuts of most of those films. What was released by Sony on BRD is about as good as it could be.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Again, what could Criterion do that Sony couldn't? The really big draw of the Showa set was getting them all at once and finally getting the Japanese version of KKvsG released here. I honestly don't want or need to buy the Heisei and Millennium series again.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I know there are fans who would at least appreciate having Biollante in print again; but I'd agree that I'd rather wait until more, better-quality material is made available or permitted by Toho.
That might be a while, of course.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Alright, Ebirah, Son of Godzilla, and DAM are all working okay on that disk. Looks like I caught it on time.

Phew...

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:08 pm Again, what could Criterion do that Sony couldn't?
Build shitty cardboard disk sleeves, apparently. :sigh:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am Janus lean on Toho to remaster more of these films instead of just buying more HiVisions challenge
With the push to 4K I'm ever so slightly more optimistic that the next releases these films get will be substantially improved.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:11 pm
omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am Janus lean on Toho to remaster more of these films instead of just buying more HiVisions challenge
With the push to 4K I'm ever so slightly more optimistic that the next releases these films get will be substantially improved.
That's going to be a very, VERY long time from now, if it ever happens at all.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

If the Heisei and Millennium series were to get a box release I'd prefer Arrow Video to publish it. Both of their deluxe and standard Gamera sets are stellar and a much better buy for your buck.