Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Vakanai »

Goji wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:39 am
Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 am I bought this back on Monday and it arrived yesterday. Already love it. Any word if a similar collection for the Heisei and Millennium series might be coming?
Janus/Criterion only have the rights to the Showa series.
Well, here's hoping whoever has the other eras do something similar to this then. Thank you for the info. :)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:36 pm
Goji wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:39 am
Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 am I bought this back on Monday and it arrived yesterday. Already love it. Any word if a similar collection for the Heisei and Millennium series might be coming?
Janus/Criterion only have the rights to the Showa series.
Well, here's hoping whoever has the other eras do something similar to this then. Thank you for the info. :)
I would love to see complete sets for the Heisei and Millennium series but with the exception of G84 and GvB sony still owns the rights to all the films in both those series as far as I'm aware. Come to think of it sony also owns Funimation and Funimation released shin godzilla here so I guessby extension sony owns the rights to that film as well.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:23 pm I would love to see complete sets for the Heisei and Millennium series but with the exception of G84 and GvB sony still owns the rights to all the films in both those series as far as I'm aware.
Sony lost GVKG and GvMothra two years ago.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:24 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:23 pm I would love to see complete sets for the Heisei and Millennium series but with the exception of G84 and GvB sony still owns the rights to all the films in both those series as far as I'm aware.
I' still shocked they didn't renew it after all these years.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:24 pm
Well, I'd still love if they can get a nice collection up of the films they still got.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

At this point, I don't want a Heisei set or a Millennium set unless they're complete - maybe a a 90's set, I could accept. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see this happen for a while, though, unless something important changes. I'm guessing Sony no longer cares and plans to let their licenses expire, so the question is: will anyone else pick them up afterwards? I recall hearing that Arrow Video didn't want to try working with Toho, and I wonder if any other parties who would otherwise be interested are daunted in the same way.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I don't think there would be any kind of promotional/marketing/timing push to capitalize on until 2024. IF we get a new Godzilla movie, from Legendary or Toho, in 2024 for the 70th anniversary....with all of the pomp and circumstance that could go along with it...then I could see the home market companies going after some Godzilla releases.

It would be nice to see Toho become a bit friendlier/easier to deal with on that front. That would be a nice piece of the puzzle.

It doesn't seem like the Showa film rights are leaving Criterion's hands any time soon. Based on when Ebirah, Hedorah, and Gigan left Kraken's hands...THIS year is when The Return of Godzilla would in theory be up for grabs.

If Sony truly did let King Ghidorah and Mothra go 2 years ago...then that puts ALL of the titles they have up in the air, and it is just a matter of WHEN they lapse or of how receptive Sony would be to a sub-licensing type of deal(Criterion's 2012 Godzilla release was done under a sub-license from Classic Media)

Ideally a Showa Set, a Heisei Set, and a Millennium Set would be nice to have. The first 50 years in 3 distinct collections. For simplicity/fairness of inclusion I would even want G98 included into the Millennium set just to put it within the franchise. Plus in a 'historical context' any presentation of the Millennium films needs to regard the presence of G98 because G2K is a reaction to it that apes and re-imagines a few moments from it, GMK makes a reference to it, and Final Wars flat out includes the creature. Whether we like it or not G98 really did birth the Millennium series.

And a film like Shin Godzilla deserves a stand-alone Criterion(or Arrow, I suppose) release purely on its own artistic and creative merits.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont think anyone will be touching the non Showa stuff for a while, and here's why.

It's going to be a little bit before Sony's distribution rights to all their films expire. If they signed 20 year deals their most recent film won't be out of their hands until 2024/25. Sony clearly doesn't care anymore about this license. They've milked physical releases of these movies dry for a couple decades now and released nothing in 2019 and this year, when new American films were coming out. Stick a fork in Sony's relationship with Godzilla. It's done.

As far as putting out complete Heisei and Millennium sets, I just don't see Criterion doing it. Dealing with Toho the first time was probably not a pleasant experience and they got a lot of flack from hardcore fans about the quality of the Showa set. But in the end it was worth it for all 15 films to FINALLY see release under one label and in one set, as well as the historic first release of the Japanese version of KKvsG . Many of these films were very important cornerstones in Japanese cinema as well as American sci-fi and have a pop culture relevance that's impossible to deny. That's not true of the later films, as most were niche, direct to video affairs that are mainly known only by the hardcore fan base. I just don't think Criterion would bother...

ESPECIALLY because once again they're going to be stuck with Hi-Vision transfers and prints that would look no better than what Sony has already put on bluray, if not worse. I dont think there's much Criterion could really offer that we haven't already gotten from Sony, Kraken and Mill Creek. Would it be nice to have all these films together in one set? Sure, but if you're a dedicated fan you already have all 13 of these movies on bluray and with Toho's limitations I don't see anything Criterion does (aside from better subs) improving on what we've already gotten.

And I'm positive we're not seeing Toho's 4k masters in this country any time soon.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Barnes & Noble’s 50% off Criterion sale is back on for the month of July, so they’re once again offering the 8-disc Showa Godzilla collection for $112.49.

Amazon is matching that price, and the set is now back up to #39 on Amazon’s list of bestselling film/TV titles. Godzilla vs. Kong is also currently ranking at the #9 (BRD+DVD), #16 (DVD) and #17 (4K+BRD) spots on that bestsellers list.

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

A quick question - My Godzilla set "Disc Book" case has somewhat self destructed in that disc spaces number 4 & 8 have become unable to correctly hold the discs in place and are slipping down in to where the glue is/was. Disc 4 is half covered in sticky glue and is a PAIN in the A*# to get off.
I have contacted Criterion, they know this is an issue, and have sent me a replacement. Thank you Criterion, except the new case has deteriorated faster that the original. This disc Book case never was a good idea or very convient to use, and now seems to be even more of a Pain.
Does anyone else have this issue? Check your own sets. If you have this problem , let Criterion know. And us here

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My set looked fine when I opened it the other day. I've only moved disks in and out of it about five times, though, so maybe it's a gradual wear and tear thing. Thanks for letting us know about this, though; I'll definitely be watching for damage. I agree that while the book itself is nice enough, the disk section being set up how it is was a terrible idea. I would've gladly paid extra for normal Blu-ray cases...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's been a known issue for a while now, but I got my copy as soon as it came out, and it was still fine last time I checked. Every few weeks to every couple months someone on Blu-ray.com or somewhere reports running into this; I tend to take each new complaint as my cue to have a look at mine. If it is a wear and tear issue to some degree, then that might explain it -- I check the sleeves a lot more often than I actually take any of the discs out, and I'm pretty gentle when I do take them out.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:42 am That's been a known issue for a while now, but I got my copy as soon as it came out, and it was still fine last time I checked. Every few weeks to every couple months someone on Blu-ray.com or somewhere reports running into this; I tend to take each new complaint as my cue to have a look at mine. If it is a wear and tear issue to some degree, then that might explain it -- I check the sleeves a lot more often than I actually take any of the discs out, and I'm pretty gentle when I do take them out.
I am usually carefull when handling all discs. I bought the set when it first came out, and I had no problems with it until recently I read about the problems and checked my set. Ooops, out of luck. Not so much a wear and tear issue. Watched the set around one go through since I got the set.
The replacement case was fine when I got it. A month and a half later the discbook case was in the same condition! Disc 4 & 8 spots again are bad on both cases. I have to figure a way to keep the glue off if I continue to use the case.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Oh lovely - I'll have to check mine out. Maybe I'll just transfer the discs into another case and treat the original as a book and shelf it with books rather than my discs...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Just checked mine and yep, disc 4 and 8 slots are going bad. Thankfully I caught it in time. Neither disc had slid down in and gotten glue on them. But the slots are becoming loose and the discs don’t hit the stop in those slots like they do in the other ones. In those slots the discs will just keep sliding in further and further. I didn’t press my luck to se HOW far they’ll go, but I can tell you there’s definitely enough slop for the disc to slide in so far as to completely hide the center hole of the disc. As a precaution, until I can find a better solution I’m storing the book lying flat so the discs don’t slide in and become unrecoverable. Man, the criterion set just continues to disappoint, doesn’t it?

Added in 6 minutes 57 seconds:
Does anyone have a link to downloadable custom BD case covers for this set? I can find some awesome ones searching but can’t seem to find the actual files for printing my own…

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Heh, I'm kind of glad all but one of the Showa films are streaming on HBO Max. At the moment that's the easiest way for me to view them. I haven't played a single disc from the Ceiterion set since I subscribed to that service.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Luck wasn't on my side. Nearly all of my discs were ruined. Only ones without any significant damage were 1, 5, and 7. The rest had massive amounts of residue on them that would be extremely difficult to remove without harming the discs even more.

I've emailed Criterion who are usually pretty good about replacements for defective products. If this results in sending a whole new set and not just replacement discs, I might just end up going with a custom case (which I might just do anyway regardless of what happens).

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

So how is the residue getting on the discs? Is it because they’re sliding so far into the sleeves they get the (failing) glue on them?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I hate that I've learned about this during the one week I've spent away from my home. I'm stressed out as hell that I'm not able to check my own set.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 pm So how is the residue getting on the discs? Is it because they’re sliding so far into the sleeves they get the (failing) glue on them?
Yeah. They fall into the crevices between slots and get stuck on the glue that's there.