Spanish dubs for Godzilla films

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Spanish dubs for Godzilla films

Post by Battra2346 »

It was one or two years ago,I was seeing if any Godzilla film was gonna play on TV and a Spanish channel was actually playing Godzilla 2000 and it was Spanish dubbed.It's the American cut with Spanish dubbing.I can't remember the Spanish dubbing too well though but it did leave me wondering if there are any more Spanish dubs of other Godzilla films.
It's a signature with words.What more can you want?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Spanish dubs for Godzilla films

Post by Goji »

I'm actually curious as to which Godzilla films (from any era, but especially Showa) have Spanish dubs. I know GIGAN X3 should be able to help out with this, since he has/knows which DVD releases have the Spanish dubs on them. I'm also curious if there is any consistency in voice actors among different Spanish Godzilla dubs (for instance, do the Showa dubs share voice actors spanning over several films, etc.)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I have only seen the Spanish dub for Godzilla 2000, which aired in January or Febuary of this year. For the most part it, it followed the English lines from the English dub. One interesting thing to note about the Spanish dub of Godzilla 2000 is that the VHS that contains the dub has the infamous "The End?" title card that was removed from the DVD release. Unfortunately, the Spanish version that aired this year did not have the ending title card for whatever reason.

Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Post by Battra2346 »

I just found on Youtube a clip from Mothra vs Godzilla and the dub is in Spanish actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hSdPq7l8p8
The Mothra song however is still in Japanese.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

Yes, I believe I made a list of the G-Films available in Spanish in the old forum, it's the majority of the Showa films, about more than half of the Heisei films and few of the Millennium films, Biollante is available, I still have it in VHS, all films come from the Japanese original cut, except for the Millennium films which seem to use the American version ( For example Megaguirus' brighter colors. ).

About the consistency of voice actors, can't tell since I haven't seen many and don't remember much of 'em, but it's very likely that VA's reprized roles as recurring characters.

Japanese names are pronounced the way they should be and yeah, as said earlier, songs and stuff like that is kept in Japanese.

Another piece of trivia is that for some reason Manda is called "El Rey Manda" ( The King Manda ) in the Terror of Mechagodzilla film, dunno why but I found it funny.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

^ Yeah, and in Spain, Gigan has two names. In Godzilla vs. Gigan, he's called Galien, but in Godzilla vs. Megalon he's called Gorgo. And Jet Jaguar is called Superman, except that they mean Supergiant/Starman, and not the DC Comics character.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I would've liked it if Sony put Spanish dubs in their DVDs. *Sigh..* :(

One random note: one of my relatives had a VHS copy of a Godzilla movie from Argentina. I think it was Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, but my memory of this is faint.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I know this one Spanish (as in, from Spain) site for Godzilla films...

http://www.godzillaencastellano.com/p.htm

It's in Spanish (of course), so yeah...
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I would've liked it if Sony put Spanish dubs in their DVDs. *Sigh..* :(
Wasn't there a Spanish dub on G2K? Or was it just French? (It's been a while since I've played their DVD, since I bought me a boot of the Japanese version a long time ago.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Post by Battra2346 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:I would've liked it if Sony put Spanish dubs in their DVDs. *Sigh..* :(
Wasn't there a Spanish dub on G2K? Or was it just French? (It's been a while since I've played their DVD, since I bought me a boot of the Japanese version a long time ago.)
The Sony DVD has the American dubbing,French dubbing and a commentary.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
There is no Spanish dub on the Sony DVD. It's only been released on VHS in the U.S. (Which contains the "The End?" title card).

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Wait, the VHS has the ending title card? :shock:
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Wait, the VHS has the ending title card? :shock:
The Spanish dub VHS. I've said that three times already. :?

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

ZigraDude wrote:
Also the spainish sub VHS, which back when the film was newly released onto video could have been found in Wal-Mart. Here is some pics from my copy:

http://journalismg2km.blogspot.com/2009 ... -card.html

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

ZigraDude wrote:
Oh. -_- Sorry. Thought maybe you meant Sony/TriStar's VHS. I need to read these threads more carefully.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

If such dubbings were to be preserved we would have another nice alternative for the English tracks.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Time to bump an old topic, but does anyone have an idea of how many of these might be floating around? I know there is a Spanish dub of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, as that aired on TV, but sure there are a lot more.

In the age of Blu-Rays, where it's pretty common to see a lot of language tracks for the same movie, would be great to see a few of these presented as options although more curious if they are Toho created or not (I'm sure the Godzilla 2000 one was created by Sony, for example).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

man spanish dubs huh
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Most films got Spanish language dubs, but the question really is if most of them still exist in good condition, especially in their theatrical form. King Kong vs. Godzilla obvious has one.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I have two different Spanish dubs of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA. One appears to be from the original Mexican/Spanish release and another is most likely made for video (different dubbers, looped sound effects and new music during dialog). One of my friends saw GODZILLA'S REVENGE at a theater in Spanish during the '70s. GIGANTIS and VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE (the Jerry Baerwitz film), outside of the United States and possibly Canada, seem to have only been released in Latin American territories where they were undoubtedly dubbed in Spanish.