Spanish dubs for Godzilla films

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Spanish dubs for Godzilla films

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I remember seeing lots of monster movies in the Spanish channel in the early to mid 2000s because I'm Mexican and my family always watches that channel! It's actually when I first saw Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It was the scene where Rodan appears on the island, and I thought it was a cool dinosaur movie. Then Godzilla's atomic breath came out of the water and I'm like, "wait a minute...." and then Godzilla rose up and I got super excited! It was the first modern-looking Godzilla movie I saw; back then, I thought it was a 50's-80's franchise and Godzilla 1985 was the final movie.

The only ones I clearly remember were Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, GINO, and some weird Gorgo rip-off that was probably made in the 90's. Others that I THINK I remember are Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mothra, and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, but I'm not so sure on those.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

20th Century Boy wrote:I remember seeing lots of monster movies in the Spanish channel in the early to mid 2000s because I'm Mexican and my family always watches that channel! It's actually when I first saw Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. It was the scene where Rodan appears on the island, and I thought it was a cool dinosaur movie. Then Godzilla's atomic breath came out of the water and I'm like, "wait a minute...." and then Godzilla rose up and I got super excited! It was the first modern-looking Godzilla movie I saw; back then, I thought it was a 50's-80's franchise and Godzilla 1985 was the final movie.

The only ones I clearly remember were Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, GINO, and some weird Gorgo rip-off that was probably made in the 90's. Others that I THINK I remember are Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mothra, and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, but I'm not so sure on those.
Me too! My first Godzilla movie was from a spanish channel. VS MOTHRA and VS DESTOROYAH were shown if I remember correctly.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

20th Century, I think you're right about MEGAGUIRUS having a Spanish dub. I've heard about it from at least two other people, so I think it's safe to say you're correct in your assumption. :)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

SeriousSam
Ronin

Post by SeriousSam »

I remember as a kid, watching terror of mechagodzilla and destroy all monsters in spanish (latin spanish). I remember being terrified when they played the recording of the scientists after it had been destroyed by titanosaurus. "es un dinosaurio!!" Haha. I used to rent them time and time again from the corner movie rental place. Wish i had copies of them.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I've seen a bunch of Godzilla posters in Spanish as well as a few movies on the spanish channels I get. I watched the end battle of Godzilla vs Gigan in spanish. My gf is colombian so if her family was watching one I guess I'd watch it with them. I've seen every Godzilla movie enough times to know what is going on and said without understanding the language being spoken.

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

I'm eagerly trying to learn Spanish now in college. Luckily most of my favorite films include Spanish dubs, but my Godzilla movies are lacking them. I really wish US distributors would start including Spanish dubs. For f*cks sake it's the 2nd most spoken language here in the states.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

so anywhere one can get the movies with dubbing in this language. I've seen the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, Vs spacegodzilla, tokyo SOS and 2014 in spanish on tv.

tankor92
Young Farmer

Post by tankor92 »

Godzilla 2000 is currently streaming in Mexican (and probably the rest of Latin America) Pluto TV with the Latin Spanish Mexican dub.

PacificaBren
Young Farmer

Post by PacificaBren »

Hello everybody,

I found this forum because a few days ago, I was organizing my Godzilla collection, and happened to find an unmarked VHS tape among my toys. Lo and behold, it turned out to be a Spanish-language broadcast of "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II," which I had taped off KSTS-48, the Telemundo affiliate station in San Jose, California.

I was Googling around hoping to find interesting trivia, such as who produced and directed the Spanish track and/or Spanish TV edit for this film. I'd love to know who the loop group was, or anything else.

From reading this thread, however, I get the impression nobody really has those answers.

For what it's worth, I have digitized this VHS, so there's now a copy on my hard drive.

I don't want to run afoul of any rules this group might have regarding piracy, but I do feel the greater good is served by this recording being out there and available to people. I wonder if I could upload it to Archive dot org and have it not get deleted?

Opti the Noob
Young Farmer

Post by Opti the Noob »

Oh hey, I think I should revive this thread again!
I'm from Latin America, and I can assure you a lot of Godzilla movies have been dubbed in here, mainly in Mexico. As PacificaBren said above, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II got dubbed in Spanish, and has already been uploaded to archive dot org. But the case is that, the majority of spanish (from latin america) godzilla dubs have been lost or only some clips have surfaced of them. However, there is a site that is trying to find and compile all of the latin american spanish dubs that have been made: https://lostmedia.fandom(.com)/es/wiki/Godzilla_(doblaje_latino_parcialmente_encontrado_de_la_saga_de_pel%C3%ADculas;_1954-2004)

Lord Kenshin
Young Farmer

Post by Lord Kenshin »

Showa Gyaos wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:44 am I would've liked it if Sony put Spanish dubs in their DVDs. *Sigh..* :(

One random note: one of my relatives had a VHS copy of a Godzilla movie from Argentina. I think it was Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, but my memory of this is faint.
Do you still have or know who has that VHS of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster with Argentine dubbing?

Lord Kenshin
Young Farmer

Post by Lord Kenshin »

Tamura wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm I have two different Spanish dubs of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA. One appears to be from the original Mexican/Spanish release and another is most likely made for video (different dubbers, looped sound effects and new music during dialog). One of my friends saw GODZILLA'S REVENGE at a theater in Spanish during the '70s. GIGANTIS and VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE (the Jerry Baerwitz film), outside of the United States and possibly Canada, seem to have only been released in Latin American territories where they were undoubtedly dubbed in Spanish.
I would be interested in seeing a comparison of those two dubbings, or at least the Mexican one. I know that in Latin America it is lost.