Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by G1985 »

Great Hierophant wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am Time has not been kind to the post-Biollante Heisei era. A real sense of cheapness and dullness permeates the films after Biollante.
I would argue that this started a couple of films later (vs Mothra or vs Godzilla), but otherwise agree with you. My guess is this was due to Toho cranking out a film a year, starting with vs Mothra.
Last edited by G1985 on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

G1985 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:59 am
Great Hierophant wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am Time has not been kind to the post-Biollante Heisei era. A real sense of cheapness and dullness permeates the films after Biollante.
I would argue that this started a couple of films later (vs Mothra or vs Godzilla), but otherwise agree with you. My guess is this was due to Toho cranking out a film a year, starting with vs Mothra.
I dont think it has anything to do with how often the movies were coming out. There's just an inherently lifeless look to the cinematography and color palette of these films. Going from Tohoscope to a standard widescreen ratio also hurts them. The movies just LOOK dull. All they really have going for them visually are the flashy animated effects.

And what makes GvsKG looks especially bad are how cheap the special effects involving the human characters are. The jet pack, M-11 running, any Godzillasaurus scene involving people. It just reeks of low budget.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

The Millenium films at least got the aspect ratio right, but only Godzilla 2000 (one of the weakest entries in the Millenium series IMHO) got a proper theatrical release. Most of these films are much nicer to watch on the big screen.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Tokyo SOS actually looked extremely nice when I saw it on the big screen at G-Fest in 2004. Say what you will about its faults, but it's a well shot film. GxMG has its moments too.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

I enjoyed the Heisei films for the most part but Godzilla Vs. Mothra '92 Is an absolute bore, it's extremely slow paced and takes forever to get going, I'd rather watch the rebirth of Mothra movies again then sit through that boring mess of a movie again, I'd even go so far as to say it's worse than all monsters attack.

Please don't sue me, we all have the rights to voice our opinions.
Last edited by MONSTER MANIC on Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^Godzilla vs. Mothra is thoroughly terrible. There is one scene that surprised me though - when the mother and estranged father arrive at the airport to meet their daughter, but the father chickens out and disappears last second. I was like "wait...is this movie making me *feel* something?" Then the movie falls apart again.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 pm ^Godzilla vs. Mothra is thoroughly terrible. There is one scene that surprised me though - when the mother and estranged father arrive at the airport to meet their daughter, but the father chickens out and disappears last second. I was like "wait...is this movie making me *feel* something?" Then the movie falls apart again.
There was great potential, but all that got flushed down the drain by the terrible execution, I don't care what anyone else says but this movie is plain BAD I never want to watch it again unless if it's a marathon, even when the monsters were on screen I just felt a sense of fatigue, like the movie was going through the motions, just go back and watch the 1964 movie again, the 1992 film is not worth your time.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Spacehunter m just uploaded some clips of the 4k versions:
https://youtu.be/6fxMCjQvz3U

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Where the skreonk are they finding the recordings?

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:13 am Where the skreonk are they finding the recordings?
It looks like more people getting their hands on them, and before we know it will circle over to ours, hopefully

Added in 2 minutes 31 seconds:
I'm so skreeeeonking pumped

Added in 5 minutes 9 seconds:
Left a comment on the video I doubt she'll respond but it's worth a shot!
Last edited by MONSTER MANIC on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

I bet it's on one of those collector/cinephile.sites with an invite only and some kind of rep system, for example the one that is similar to "armageddon" tracker or whatever usenet thing these days
Last edited by airforce111 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:28 am I bet it's on one of those collector/cinephile.sites with an invite only and some kind of rep system, for example the one that is similar to "armageddon" tracker or whatever usenet thing these days
I would assume so..

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Contacted the uploader, their response was:
"It just magically appeared on my hard drive one day"
BRUH. Guess that takes one of the list, the search continues..

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

With King Kong vs. Godzilla 4K UHD just over $100, I'm sure they'll be more on the way!

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

i plan on the entire 4k collection too, will be interesting

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’m not so sure these captures are on any kind of torrent or Usenet. Perhaps a very private one. But so far I get the impression that they are being passed directly from fan to fan within a very tight circle. It sucks not to be part of that circle, but there’s a lot of good reasons to keep things like this so close to the chest.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:46 pm but there’s a lot of good reasons to keep things like this so close to the chest.
i would say no, there really isnt, its not like its a leak of a new movie, but thats just me. maybe if someone uncovered a wel lpreserved negative of a film lying in their grandparents basement or something and it circulated, thats totally understandable. but this broadcast, nah. it is what it is :Godzilla68:
Last edited by airforce111 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:28 am I bet it's on one of those collector/cinephile.sites with an invite only and some kind of rep system, for example the one that is similar to "armageddon" tracker or whatever usenet thing these days
I don't know what you are talking about, but you have peaked my curiosity.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:14 pm
Malchik wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:25 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:58 am

I don't understand this.
I think he's referring more to production values than film stock. The Heisei era isn't as colourfully lit or dynamically shot. The films look like the style of the eighties and nineties, really.
Ive always thought the cinematography on these wasn't much better than a made for TV movie.
Can't argue there. G84 and Bio were probably the most cinematic of that era.
Great Hierophant wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:21 pm With King Kong vs. Godzilla 4K UHD just over $100, I'm sure they'll be more on the way!
What a bargain!
Last edited by Malchik on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:12 pm
I don't know what you are talking about, but you have peaked my curiosity.
It's a torrent site. However, invites have been closed for a while.