Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
UltramanGoji

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by UltramanGoji »

Goji wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:10 am However, I have heard that Arrow are "intimidated" in working with Toho, given how difficult they can be to work with, but I can't remember the source of that information.
I believe it's in this Kaijucast interview with James Flower and Matt Frank? I could be mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqUSGg9fQgo

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

this sounds really good! I can't wait for rips to surface online!
I'm going to keep my eyes and ears out there
this is big!
Last edited by MONSTER MANIC on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

4k images plus some comparisons for Invasion of Astro-Monster, supplied by Andre

Here is some comparison images
Hi-Vision

Hi-Vision

Hi-Vision

Hi-Vision

Hi-Vision

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Those look great, much better color.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Damn, I really hope western fans get a chance to get these someday, I love astro monster, and those look phenominal
He Jock it Made of Steel

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Geez. Those are beautiful. I haven’t splurged on KKvsG yet (!), but if they put any of the ‘64/‘65 trifecta of films on 4K disc I will absolutely be blowing the cash on them. Even without subs or dubs

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Seems very consistent with the Matsuri transfer from a few years back. I can't check that right now but I think very few of the screenshots above come from the full length version, for which a multi-gen element was used. The title card is one, and I think that shot of Glen and Fooj might be another, but I believe all the others are in the Matsuri version. As with Mothra vs. Godzilla, how the dupe element shots look compared to the rest of the movie is what I'm most interested in.

Added in 8 minutes 24 seconds:
canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:34 am if they put any of the ‘64/‘65 trifecta of films on 4K disc I will absolutely be blowing the cash on them. Even without subs or dubs
No question, those would be day one purchases for me, and I'd advise any hardcore Godzilla fans who also happen to be videophiles to do the same. IMO it's a no-brainer.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I will gladly buy fresh Blu Rays using these transfers or 4K discs if I AT LEAST get English Subs. I'm not about to watch the films in pure Japanese with no dialogue translations.

Beyond that, the restoration work looks great....maybe in a few decades technology will finally allow these films to look better than the perfection of the HiVision masters, long may they reign.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

So is Astro Monster restoration work completed or just general some images while work is done? I have to say these appear to be getting done quicker than I anticipated AND so far have been looking great.

Definitely sad there's a good chance these won't make it to US market 4K disc.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:58 am So is Astro Monster restoration work completed or just general some images while work is done?
It's already been broadcast.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 am Seems very consistent with the Matsuri transfer from a few years back. I can't check that right now but I think very few of the screenshots above come from the full length version, for which a multi-gen element was used. The title card is one, and I think that shot of Glen and Fooj might be another, but I believe all the others are in the Matsuri version. As with Mothra vs. Godzilla, how the dupe element shots look compared to the rest of the movie is what I'm most interested in.

Added in 8 minutes 24 seconds:
canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:34 am if they put any of the ‘64/‘65 trifecta of films on 4K disc I will absolutely be blowing the cash on them. Even without subs or dubs
No question, those would be day one purchases for me, and I'd advise any hardcore Godzilla fans who also happen to be videophiles to do the same. IMO it's a no-brainer.
Compared to the Matsuri scan the 4K is for sure a lot sharper but the 2019 version has a more lush array of colours

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

^Do you have any comparisons that illustrate the difference between the matsuri and 4K versions? I’d be curious to see how they compare.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:51 pm ^Do you have any comparisons that illustrate the difference between the matsuri and 4K versions? I’d be curious to see how they compare.
I'm a beginner so I'm not allowed to post photos at the moment
However I would recommend looking up a comparison video from spacehunter m comparing a clip of the Matsuri version to the hi vision and then coming back to see what it looks like next to the 4k

Personally I like the matsuri version has that Sony look for me

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

“The perfection of the Hi-Vision masters” would sound like bait coming from literally anyone else.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

I actually have a copy of the Matsuri scan and I have to say comparing it to the hi vision wow just wow I took a few screenshots and compared them to one another the screenshot I took for the high vision was off a YouTube video and it looked god-awful (I know YouTube has some really dreadful video compression but still)

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I'm just amazed Toho is producing video with some actual natural colour timing, I was getting tired of all their films looking brown. I'm curious how they are going to tackle the Heisei series.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Malchik wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:36 pm I'm just amazed Toho is producing video with some actual natural colour timing, I was getting tired of all their films looking brown. I'm curious how they are going to tackle the Heisei series.
The brown tints on the blu-rays were just unnatural

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

A little off topic but it's worth mentioning that news has recently come out that criterion is joining the 4K market.
Could we possibly see king Kong vs Godzilla in 4K from them??

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Goji wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:42 pm “The perfection of the Hi-Vision masters” would sound like bait coming from literally anyone else.
The hi vision masters range from decent at best to hot garbage at worst

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

MONSTER MANIC wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:05 am A little off topic but it's worth mentioning that news has recently come out that criterion is joining the 4K market.
Could we possibly see king Kong vs Godzilla in 4K from them??
You have a higher likelihood of a new Gamera movie being made in the next 10 years before Toho allows their 4k releases to make it to the North American market. KKvsG may be owned by Universal stateside - and yes, a 4K version of the John Beck would be more likely to happen - but they're still at Toho's mercy for whatever materials come their way for the Japanese version.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132