Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by junkerde »

http://phys.org/news/2014-08-godzilla-s ... wires.html

Could we possibly see 4k or 2K releases on bluray? My only concern is if they are using the same technique tehy have used before, it might turn out blurry again and not sharp. I hope they do it right this time.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla Films getting 4K Restoration (Toho)

Post by goji1986 »

junkerde wrote:http://phys.org/news/2014-08-godzilla-s ... wires.html

Could we possibly see 4k or 2K releases on bluray? My only concern is if they are using the same technique tehy have used before, it might turn out blurry again and not sharp. I hope they do it right this time.
Agreed.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Don't worry, they're using an Arriscan. Unless they noise reduce it later on (which would defeat the whole purpose of this project) these should look perf.

I'm surprised the story first broke on Yahoo. Where's Scifi Japan when you need them? I first read about the project over a month ago and was hoping they'd so much as mention it at some point.

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

Really looking forward to seeing some Showa Godzilla in 4K! Although, it will probably take several years before we do.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

They say one minute from each film has been restored, which begs the question - when and where do we get to see them?

Also, Final Wars was shot digitally. Wonder what they're going to do about that.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tamura wrote: I'm surprised the story first broke on Yahoo. Where's Scifi Japan when you need them? I first read about the project over a month ago and was hoping they'd so much as mention it at some point.
Probably too busy writing up articles on the week 15 box office report of GODZILLA and sharing more DARK KNIGHT RISES concept art.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Hopefully they can finally get a decent print of King Kong vs. Godzilla although from what I've heard, the film's condition is so terrible that might be too far gone for a truly intensive restoration. Then again, if they can remaster Manos they can remaster anything. It's just a question of if Toho is willing to shell out the money.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Kaiser wrote:Hopefully they can finally get a decent print of King Kong vs. Godzilla although from what I've heard, the film's condition is so terrible that might be too far gone for a truly intensive restoration. Then again, if they can remaster Manos they can remaster anything. It's just a question of if Toho is willing to shell out the money.
For all we know, some super collector fan could be holding onto a full 35mm print, but they're scared to give it up because Toho might confiscate it. If I'm not mistaken that's how Criterion managed to obtain a fine grain print of GKOTM, which few didn't believe existed outside of an early 80s video master.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Fuckin a! This is fantastic news. Let's just hope we eventually get em ported over by US companies, I just can't justify buying discs with no subtitles, even if the image quality is perfect...

@Goji - Ah c'mon, they have a lot of good stuff too.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Cool story, Tyler. Excuse me that my totally not serious comment offended you so much, you felt the need to point out the obvious.

If Toho does 4K restorations of all the Godzilla sequels, it'll be a while before we see them on home video. They *just* finally released the rest of the Godzilla catalog on Blu-ray; which took them forever because the older BD's weren't selling, so I wouldn't get too excited about this.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

I just found this press release which seems to come from the lab that did the 4K scans:

http://www.arri.com/lighting/lighting_e ... -monsters/

Basically, it seems like there were two jobs; (1) a complete 4K scan of 1954 Gojira for use in Japanese theaters, and (2) clips of all 28 Godzilla movies scanned in 4K for a 30-minute documentary to be used by some Japanese channel for home 4K TVs. From reading the article, it doesn't look like complete 4K scans of any Toho Godzilla movie other than the first one has been performed or are being planned. It seems like these scans take a lot of time and effort (which = $$$). Clips are better than nothing, but everyone should hang on to their Blu-rays because I don't think we'll see a 4K scan of Godzilla Vs. Megalon show up anytime soon.

Oh one more negative thing - the article boasts than many of the people responsible for the new 4K scans were also responsible for older scans and restorations of Godzilla movies for home release. In other words, sounds like the same guys responsible for the lackluster Blu-ray scans were on this project too. Let's hope the equipment was to blame and/or the engineers have gotten a lot better since.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Also, Final Wars was shot digitally. Wonder what they're going to do about that.
Was it...? I see magazines on the camera in the behind-the-scenes footage.
Any info on this would be appreciated!
'And yet another one?'

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

seamus wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:Also, Final Wars was shot digitally. Wonder what they're going to do about that.
From IMDb:

I'm pretty sure I've read that it was shot digitally other places, too.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

seamus wrote: Was it...? I see magazines on the camera in the behind-the-scenes footage.
Do film cameras need magazines on them for some reason?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

seamus wrote:
Final Wars was shot digitally, then inexplicably had film grain added in post which completely ruined the picture detail. This might have looked "ok" for theatrical film prints and DVD, but on Bluray it looks downright atrocious.

Power-Glove
Ronin

Post by Power-Glove »

I'm really looking forward to this, hopefully criterion or classic media gets to release the new remasters here in the US.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

There aren't any 4K remasters happening, at least not yet. Like I already said, Toho literally just released the rest of the Godzilla catalogue on Blu-ray in Japan.

Classic Media aren't interested in Blu-ray releases, so they clearly wouldn't even consider it. Critereon (like Classic Media) aren't interested in acquiring any more Godzilla titles. The original 1954 film is important for a plethora of reasons, (something that I assumed was obvious by this point) which is why it was chosen for release.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It looks bad on the Blu-ray because it's a mediocre scan of a mediocre quality overseas release print.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Judging from the IoAM pic, the absence of print damage is a plus. As for the colors they still seem on the dull side, which is unfortunate since that's one of the more noticeable shortcomings of the R2 releases. Its too bad the pic isn't of higher resolution so that we could really see the difference from the old master.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:From IMDb:
http://s29.postimg.org/esxzwqd9z/godzil ... _specs.png

I'm pretty sure I've read that it was shot digitally other places, too.
Thank you!
Mr. Xeno wrote:Do film cameras need magazines on them for some reason?
?
'And yet another one?'