* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:55 am
Terasawa wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:50 am Better have an antidepressant handy after Genocide and Goké.
Uh oh. :lol: Well, maybe the (so I've heard) off the wall ridiculousness of The X From Outer Space will counteract the depression. My dad saw it, once, said it was the worst kaiju movie he's ever seen, and we probably could've made a better movie in our back yard.
Well, consider one is titled "Genocide" as you watch it -- it doesn't set out to be a happy movie! Goké is more enjoyable, IMO, but not any more cheerful.

The X from Outer Space is... well, I hope you enjoy it! It took me a while to learn to appreciate that one. You might want to view it as a laid back sci-fi flick with a giant monster and not an outright kaiju movie. I don't wanna say much more because I think the The X from Outer Space experience is watching it cold and trying to figure out what the hell you just saw once it's over.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am The X from Outer Space is... well, I hope you enjoy it! It took me a while to learn to appreciate that one. You might want to view it as a laid back sci-fi flick with a giant monster and not an outright kaiju movie. I don't wanna say much more because I think the The X from Outer Space experience is watching it cold and trying to figure out what the hell you just saw once it's over.
Perfect. That's one of my favorite aspects of this genre, the sheer diversity. Going into these movies cold, you never quite know what you'll be walking into.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Once I saw Monster X Strikes back, (which makes me wish I had a MIB neuralizer) I've never had anything bad to say about X From Outer Space after that...
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

In addition to Mill Creek's Ultraman Leo BRD, today I've finally obtained Iron King and The Super Robot: Red Baron on DVD, two more Japanese sci-fi shows from the '70s that I haven't seen yet.

Image Image

For just under $23 including $8 in shipping, I scored used copies of the original 2007-2008 DVDs that BCI released, booklets included, not the cheaper 2010 rereleases that Mill Creek issued with fewer discs and no booklets.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^that is pretty cool. I was just looking at these sets in my collection yesterday as I had to move some things around in my media shelf to make more room for future Ultraman releases.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The new King Kong 1976 Blu-ray.

EDIT: And Jaws on 4K. My first 4K disk, I think.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I just got the GvK/K:SI/KoTM 3-pack. (I work retail so I grabbed a copy even though it’s technically “not self ready”.)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I also picked up Pacific Rim: Uprising on 4K. Amazon shipped it in an oversized envelope, though, and both disks had popped out of place. The Blu-ray has a scratch, but I guess I probably won't be using it much, anyway. I like the case's bright yellow spine; I don't have anything else that color in my kaiju collection, so it stands out very nicely.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

KingCornetto wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:09 am I just got the GvK/K:SI/KoTM 3-pack. (I work retail so I grabbed a copy even though it’s technically “not self ready”.)
ok, so it does come out tomorrow right Tuesday the 15th?.... I pre-ordered on Amazon over a week ago, when the price finally went to normal retail, it says its not coming until next week 6/22. I have to go shopping tomorrow anyway, I'll just get it at walmart if it is there and cancel my pre-order...
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am
KingCornetto wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:09 am I just got the GvK/K:SI/KoTM 3-pack. (I work retail so I grabbed a copy even though it’s technically “not self ready”.)
ok, so it does come out tomorrow right Tuesday the 15th?.... I pre-ordered on Amazon over a week ago, when the price finally went to normal retail, it says its not coming until next week 6/22. I have to go shopping tomorrow anyway, I'll just get it at walmart if it is there and cancel my pre-order...

Yeah, comes out tomorrow.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am
Hey thats better than me I preordered the 3D Blu Ray from Amazon this weekend and I'm told it won't be here till August 25th. Also getting the scream factory King Kong 1976 Blu Ray this weekend.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I mean, did anyone not buy this today?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm I mean, did anyone not buy this today?
Guilty.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:34 pm
canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm I mean, did anyone not buy this today?
Guilty.
Likewise.

I'll get it eventually, but not day one.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:06 pm
Terasawa wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:34 pm
Guilty.
Likewise.

I'll get it eventually, but not day one.
Same here.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Also guilty. I'm getting it very soon, though. Shit, I didn't even like the movie, but that awesome cover image and the big cardboard display at Walmart got me hyped anyway. :lol: Must consume product!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I'm one of the latest to jump on a certain bandwagon:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KotM and GvK are dollar bin purchases for me. I enjoyed GvK but I don't anticipate watching it more than maybe a couple more times the rest of my life, lol. :shrug: I'd be buying them only to complete my collection, so the lower the price, the better. /2¢
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm mostly just buying for collection completion, too, since I have the movie available via HBO Max, anyway. I dunno, though, there's something about owning and watching a movie on physical media that's just so much more satisfying than streaming. Also, even if the job they're doing is less than perfect, I do want to do my part and financially support the Monsterverse. It's done boatloads more good than bad, and hey, maybe the next movie will actually be good.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 pm KotM and GvK are dollar bin purchases for me. I enjoyed GvK but I don't anticipate watching it more than maybe a couple more times the rest of my life, lol. :shrug: I'd be buying them only to complete my collection, so the lower the price, the better. /2¢
For those of us who are interested in the 3D and Steelbook versions (both of which tend to get a single production run and sell out quickly), buying the films on release date is the only way to get them at the "lowest price".
Last edited by G1985 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.