* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by o.supreme »

Picked up the Gappa Blu Ray from RightStuf because it was super cheap ($10), added to an existing order to get free shipping. 8-) . I'll always prefer MFAPP, but now I can at least see what the difference between this Blu-Ray and Media-Blasters 20+ year old DVD is (Which was basically just MFAPP with a "Gappa" video generated title card).

So now Gorgo, Gappa, and even Yongary have Blu Ray releases in North America. I have the Eclipse (Criterion) "Horror Came to Shochiku" DVD set, but I wonder if Guilala (X From Outer Space) will ever get a BRD release?
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

There's a Blu-ray from Japan if you're inclined. I think it might have English options.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Shochiku's X from Outer Space Blu-ray at least has the international English dub (barf), but I'm not certain if it comes with subtitles.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 am Shochiku's X from Outer Space Blu-ray at least has the international English dub (barf), but I'm not certain if it comes with subtitles.
So I just had to recheck the Eclipse set, because it doesn't advertise any English dubs at all -_- , but in fact, the films do have English dubs, even if, as stated with "X", it is the inferior international dub. I have a copy of the AIP dub ripped from the Orion VHS, but I wonder if there have been any fan reconstructions that use the AIP audio and sync it to a superior video source?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:06 pm
Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 am Shochiku's X from Outer Space Blu-ray at least has the international English dub (barf), but I'm not certain if it comes with subtitles.
So I just had to recheck the Eclipse set, because it doesn't advertise any English dubs at all -_- , but in fact, the films do have English dubs, even if, as stated with "X", it is the inferior international dub. I have a copy of the AIP dub ripped from the Orion VHS, but I wonder if there have been any fan reconstructions that use the AIP audio and sync it to a superior video source?
I don't know of any reconstructions, sorry. I have a LaserDisc rip that I'm really happy with so I haven't sought out any recons.

And for the record, The X from Outer Space is the only film in the Eclipse set that has an English audio option. Goké and Genocide have English dubs (both done in Hong Kong for Shochiku) but they weren't included in that set or in any official home video release to date.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:39 pm And for the record, The X from Outer Space is the only film in the Eclipse set that has an English audio option. Goké and Genocide have English dubs (both done in Hong Kong for Shochiku) but they weren't included in that set or in any official home video release to date.
Yeah, I found an English movie trailer for Goke, but not the film itself. I wonder why the dubs were omitted for that film and Genocide? --I wonder if they were ever shown on TV? I tried a couple searches in the usual places, but came up shorthanded. Oh well, another quest for another day.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Indie distributor Pacemaker released Goké in the U.S. in 1978 as "Body Snatcher from Hell." They cut the opening credits but otherwise it's the full-length export version. There are a few different VHS releases, including one by "Video Cassette Recordings" which at least looks like it might have been licensed.

Resized Image

Genocide was practically unseen in America until circa 2009, when Sinister Cinema released a letterboxed transfer of the export version on DVD. Incidentally, The Living Skeleton could have been dubbed, but I've seen no evidence that it was (or, if it was, that it saw release anywhere).

I imagine Shochiku no longer has--or couldn't locate--dubbed elements for any of these except XfOS (which they had previously included in an early 21st century DVD release). Criterion did little more than dump these in an Eclipse set using essentially only what Shochiku had given them, so I'm sure they didn't give much consideration to including the dubbed audio for the other films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I just ordered the Showa Godzilla Collection! I know it'll never happen, but I would love if Sony released Heisei and Millenium sets.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Hey, a couple of years ago I would have said the same thing about a Showa Godzilla collection! What looks unlikely isn't necessarily impossible.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Well I mean...Sony's already lost a few of their Godzilla movies they've owned since the 90s so I don't think they're gonna do anything like that.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I bought the Blu-ray of Godzilla vs. Kong, and then I realized I do not have a disc of Kong : Skull Island. But then again I don't have discs of KK76, KKL (no Blu for that one) or KK05.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I ordered Ultra Q and Ultraman on Blu Ray. I can not wait to experience the Ultra series!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Great Hierophant wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm I bought the Blu-ray of Godzilla vs. Kong, and then I realized I do not have a disc of Kong : Skull Island. But then again I don't have discs of KK76, KKL (no Blu for that one) or KK05.
I have all the American Kong films on DVD. Usually, with most kaiju releases I'll double-dip and purchase the Blu ray to upgrade, but I've not been compelled to do so for any Kong films. The only solo American Kong movie I have on BRD is Skull island, obviously because it was available in that format on day one of release. I have 33, Son Of, 76, Lives, and 05 all on DVD and I have all these on Digital as well (except "Lives" which isn't available on any digital format I know of). I even have the extended version of 2005 on DVD and Digital, just never felt compelled to get BRD for any of these.

*edit--ok apparently I do have the 2005 version on BRD as well. My collection is getting to the point that sometimes I forget what I have and don't have :oops:

As was discussed earlier, about some of the kaiju films from other countries. I do have Gorgo and Gappa on BRD, mostly because they were super-cheap.

I looked up the price for Kino's BRD of Yongary, it is currently $30 on Amazon! -That is an easy pass. That movie is really bad. Unless it came down to $10 or under, there's no rush to upgrade that one, a DVD is fine. besides, all of my viewings of that film of the past few years have been via the MST3K version.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KKvG and KKE are the only Kong films I have on Blu-ray. I'll pick up the '33 films eventually. I'm not too worried about GvK (it will remain in print as long as DVDs and Blu-rays are made), but I'll probably nab that when it's super cheap if only because I'm a Godzilla completionist. :/
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I have KK33 and Son on Blu, I consider the first to be a genuine classic and while no one argues that its sequel is, it feels like going outside with one shoe on if I didn't acquire it as well. Of course the Blu doesn't add much to the otherwise great DVD release of 33 other than improved picture and sound quality.

With Monsterverse I feel some regret for paying top price for the GvK Blu when it is available as 4K. I don't have a 4K player yet, but its in the cards. The other films are also on 4K and so is KK05, so I may never go Blu for K:SI or KK05. Not sure if I'll upgrade my G:KOTM or G2014.

I might grab KK76 when the price goes down a bit, that's unlikely to get a 4K release for a long time.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Great Hierophant wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 am I have KK33 and Son on Blu, I consider the first to be a genuine classic and while no one argues that its sequel is, it feels like going outside with one shoe on if I didn't acquire it as well.
Pretty much how I feel, as well. I'm no big fan of Son of Kong, but my collection feels incomplete without it. Ditto Mighty Joe Young, although that's a great film and one I watch even more frequently than the '33 Kong.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Had to scoop the GvK Steelbook, thing was skyrocketing. Managed to grab it for $48 online, can't wait for it to show up.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:58 am
Great Hierophant wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm I bought the Blu-ray of Godzilla vs. Kong, and then I realized I do not have a disc of Kong : Skull Island. But then again I don't have discs of KK76, KKL (no Blu for that one) or KK05.
I have all the American Kong films on DVD. Usually, with most kaiju releases I'll double-dip and purchase the Blu ray to upgrade, but I've not been compelled to do so for any Kong films. The only solo American Kong movie I have on BRD is Skull island, obviously because it was available in that format on day one of release. I have 33, Son Of, 76, Lives, and 05 all on DVD and I have all these on Digital as well (except "Lives" which isn't available on any digital format I know of). I even have the extended version of 2005 on DVD and Digital, just never felt compelled to get BRD for any of these.

*edit--ok apparently I do have the 2005 version on BRD as well. My collection is getting to the point that sometimes I forget what I have and don't have :oops:

As was discussed earlier, about some of the kaiju films from other countries. I do have Gorgo and Gappa on BRD, mostly because they were super-cheap.

I looked up the price for Kino's BRD of Yongary, it is currently $30 on Amazon! -That is an easy pass. That movie is really bad. Unless it came down to $10 or under, there's no rush to upgrade that one, a DVD is fine. besides, all of my viewings of that film of the past few years have been via the MST3K version.
I've got the original official DVD release of Yongary, Monster from the Deep, the Midnite Movies Double Feature version with Konga, the Deluxe Extended Edition of King Kong (2005) on DVD, the Target exclusive version of Kong: Skull Island on DVD/Blu-ray combo, Gorgo on DVD and Gappa the Triphibian Monster on DVD-R..
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

[/quote]I've got the original official DVD release of Yongary, Monster from the Deep, the Midnite Movies Double Feature version with Konga.
[/quote]

Cool. It's still available on Amazon for $15. I just have the Alpha Video DVD, which is arguably older (2004 release opposed to MGM's 2007 DVD), but non-official.

Also, since you brought up Konga, I keep seeing this new "Konga TNT" movie, but I'm almost afraid to watch as it seems like some Asylum level of badness movie. If the original Yongary got paired up with Konga for a DVD release, I wonder if in a strange twist of irony, someday we might see Reptilian paired up with Konga TNT ;) .
Terasawa wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am
Great Hierophant wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 am I have KK33 and Son on Blu, I consider the first to be a genuine classic and while no one argues that its sequel is, it feels like going outside with one shoe on if I didn't acquire it as well.
Pretty much how I feel, as well. I'm no big fan of Son of Kong, but my collection feels incomplete without it. Ditto Mighty Joe Young, although that's a great film and one I watch even more frequently than the '33 Kong.
I love the original 33 King Kong, but just haven't felt the need to get the BRD for some reason. I did get the 3-pack DVD (Kong, Son, and MJY) which is good enough I guess.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I got the Limited Edition Vol. 1 Blu-ray of SP with the Godzilla Ultima figure.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You