What Godzilla movies do you own?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Re: What Godzilla movies do you own?

Post by Freebleeper »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Freebleeper wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote: goji1968 made a recreation of that version. You should PM him.
I search for him but I couldn't find him though. Are they any sites that sell bootleg versions of the film than?
I'll PM you the link of the recreation.
Alright thanks alot but I see i'll have to download the film into my laptop... can I just put it into a blank disc?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If you have a burner and software to do so, yes.

Poopyman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Poopyman »

I see someone is currently selling Son of Godzilla and G vs MechaG 74 on DVD on eBay. Are those still hard to come by and should I get them for under $10 each?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Poopyman wrote:I see someone is currently selling Son of Godzilla and G vs MechaG 74 on DVD on eBay. Are those still hard to come by and should I get them for under $10 each?
If they are in fact the Sony/TriStar DVDs from 2004 then yes, under $10 is a good price for those. Some would say they're obsolete since the entire Showa run is on Blu-ray now, but the transfers on those discs are unquestionably superior to the ones for those films on the Criterion Collection Blu-ray.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I own at least one DVD/Blu-Ray copy of every live action Godzilla film and at least two of all the Showa films.
Godzilla (1954): Original Classic Media release from the boxset, CM release of Gojira, Criterion release of Gojira, new Criterion Collection
Godzilla Raids Again: Classic Media and Criterion
King Kong vs. Godzilla: Universal and Criterion
Mothra vs. Godzilla: Original Classic Media release from the boxset, CM release of Japanese version, new Criterion Collection
Ghidorah: Classic Media and Criterion
Monster Zero: Classic Media and Criterion
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster: TriStar and Criterion
Son of Godzilla: TriStar and Criterion
Destroy All Monsters: The awful ADV release, Tokyo Shock and Criterion
Godzilla's Revenge: Original Classic Media release from the boxset, CM release of Japanese version, new Criterion Collection
Godzilla vs. Hedorah: TriStar and Criterion
Godzilla vs. Gigan: TriStar and Criterion
Godzilla vs. Megalon: Tokyo Shock and Criterion
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla: TriStar and Criterion
Terror of Mechagodzilla: Original Classic Media release from the boxset, CM release of Japanese version, new Criterion Collection
Godzilla 1985: Kraken Blu-Ray
Godzilla vs. Biollante: Miramax
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mothra: TriStar double feature
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2: TriStar
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah: TriStar double feature
Godzilla (1998): TriStar
Godzilla 2000: TriStar
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus: TriStar
GMK: TriStar
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla: TriStar
Godzilla - Tokyo SOS: TriStar
Godzilla - Final Wars: Sony
Shin Godzilla: Funimation Blu-Ray

Out of curiosity, I've heard the video quality of the Kraken DVDs is a lot better than the Criterion and TriStar releases. Is this actually true and, if so, how noticeable is it? Like would it be worth getting my hands on the Kraken Blu-Ray of Godzilla vs. Hedorah? Or is the quality not that much better?
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Out of curiosity, I've heard the video quality of the Kraken DVDs is a lot better than the Criterion and TriStar releases. Is this actually true and, if so, how noticeable is it? Like would it be worth getting my hands on the Kraken Blu-Ray of Godzilla vs. Hedorah? Or is the quality not that much better?
The Kraken releases of Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan are the exact same transfers from the 2004 TriStar DVDs. Technically the Kraken DVDs themselves are superior because of progressive framerate (whereas at least Sony's Sea Monster was encoded at 29.97i); the Blu-rays are certainly superior to either DVD version.

The Criterion editions of those films use Toho "HiVision" transfers that are flat and poorly color-graded and lack the finer detail seen in the Sony/TriStar/Kraken transfers.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Poopyman wrote:I see someone is currently selling Son of Godzilla and G vs MechaG 74 on DVD on eBay. Are those still hard to come by and should I get them for under $10 each?
I'd be cautious at that price -- check the item descriptions and make sure they're not listed as region 0, for instance. I overlooked that recently and wound up with a homemade bootleg copy of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Poopyman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Poopyman »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
I'd be cautious at that price -- check the item descriptions and make sure they're not listed as region 0, for instance. I overlooked that recently and wound up with a homemade bootleg copy of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

It’s legit

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Poopyman wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:

It’s legit
Nice, go for it
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Even though I bought both Sony's DVD's of SoG & MG when they first came out, I've been fascinated with their rareness over the past decade. Unfortunately I've seen quite a few bootlegs try to sell on eBay over the years.

As for films I own. I own KotM-2000 on NTSC VHS. I have The Ebirah on PAL VHS. ALL films on DVD (R1) & BRD (A), except for the animated trilogy which has no North American release. I have yet to purchase any 4K as I own neither a player or a UHD TV.
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Thought this may be of interest to some of you. My Dad has a Super 8mm copy of Godzilla vs. the Thing, pictured below:
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Thought this may be of interest to some of you. My Dad has a Super 8mm copy of Godzilla vs. the Thing, pictured below:
Now there's a valuable collector's item.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

DVD:

Godzilla King of the Monsters 1956
Godzilla 1998

Blu Ray:

Mothra
Godzilla vs Gigan
The Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2
Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla
Gamera Guardian of the Universe
Godzilla vs Destroyah
Gamera 2
Rebirth of Mothra 1, 2, and 3
Godzilla 2000
King Kong 2005
Cloverfield
Pacific Rim
Godzilla 2014
Pacific Rim Uprising

Playstation Network:

Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S.

I plan on gettibg Blu Rays of Godzilla King of Monsters 1956, Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Tokyo S.O.S., plus Rodan and the Godzilla Earth trilogy when they reach Blu Ray.
Last edited by Anguirus on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Is NOT owning them all even an option?

Showa Criterion Blu Ray Set
Return of Godzilla Kraken Blu Ray
Biollante Lionsgate Blu Ray
Remaining Heisei, G98, and Millennium films Sony Blu Ray
Shin Godzilla Funimation Blu Ray
G14 Warner Bros Blu Ray
King of the Monsters WB 4K

Only missing the anime trilogy, for obvious reasons.

[insert some sarcastic remark about real fans owning all of the films]

Added in 58 minutes 15 seconds:
I owned them all on VHS when Godzilla 2000 was the 'newest' release in North America.

When Megaguirus and GMK hit DVD, that is when I really got into picking up all of the entries Sony released on DVD. Then I drifted away from the series and sold them all off but when G14 came out I started getting back into it....I started picking up anything that was on Blu Ray, and settling for DVD when that was the only option.

When the Criterion set came out I parted with all of the various Showa DVDs and Blu Rays I had. I don't prefer to own multiple versions of the films. Some of the DVD bonus material was nice,and yes the Kraken Blu Rays looked a little better....but the concise and consistent(consistently "decent") nature of the Criterion set works fine for my collection as it stands.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don’t own the four latest films. I looked at picking up the anime trilogy from Japan just to have them but they’re too expensive.

As for KOTM, I’m waiting for it to be really, really cheap. But at the same time, I have little interest in watching it, so I’m not sure I’ll get it even then. Unlike most of the Japanese films, KOTM is going to be in print on video forever. There’s no rush.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I own them all in multiple forms except for the Anime Trilogy. As much as I love anime, these 3 were a real letdown. It seems backwards to me. What was printed in the novelizations *should* have been the anime series, and what was covered in the 3 films, could have been follow up novelizations. I watched the first film twice, the second film once, and couldn't even get through the 3rd film as I found it to bee very off putting. It along with Megaguirus are the only 2 G films I have not seen all the way through (honest to goodness, I cannot make it through Megaguirus without falling asleep).

If the anime trilogy ever does get a BRD release in North America, I hope it is in a single set, in the $20 range, otherwise I doubt Ill ever own it.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Yeah, if the anime movies do get released and go down for like, ten bucks for all three, I might get them for completists' sake. Otherwise, I'll pass, since I'm pretty certain I will never revisit them.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Gonzilla
Yojimbo

Post by Gonzilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Thought this may be of interest to some of you. My Dad has a Super 8mm copy of Godzilla vs. the Thing, pictured below:
Nice! That's one of the Toho 8MM releases I've been looking for a while. I have Ghidrah and Destroy All Monsters.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

All of them on Blu-ray. Most of them on DVD. Had up to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla on VHS, but most of those are gone now.

Oh, except the anime trilogy. No discs for those yet (though I bet we'll see then eventually).

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

All, with a few on Blu-Ray like G2000. When I was a little'un in early 2000s, I set out on a quest to track them all down once I got a movie list off Ask Jeeves (RIP). Combination of VHS copies I'd get from Movie Gallery and Blockbuster (double RIP), Flea Markets, and recordings off Sci-Fi channel. Later had them all turned into DVDs, as well as buying some official DVDs along the way.