Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Ayo I found a copy of the Frankenstein vs Baragon 4K

Pm me if you want em

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I advocate making a whole new physical media format built to run 4K.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

It’s called UHD and it’s been out for over half a decade.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

So Frankenstein vs Baragon was given a 4K restoration as well?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

John Schuermann
Samurai

Post by John Schuermann »

As was Matango.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:19 am So Frankenstein vs Baragon was given a 4K restoration as well?
Yup

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

MONSTER MANIC wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:03 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:19 am So Frankenstein vs Baragon was given a 4K restoration as well?
Yup
I'm dumb, it was literally mentioned in the prior page and I even amended my own list tracking it.

I hope we can get another nice batch of restorations announced/revealed soon.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:16 pm
MONSTER MANIC wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:03 pm
Yup
I'm dumb, it was literally mentioned in the prior page and I even amended my own list tracking it.

I hope we can get another nice batch of restorations announced/revealed soon.
Would be nice if we could have someone to record them as well :)

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

I got a copy of DAM, DM for link.
Last edited by MONSTER MANIC on Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

my goodness those copies are compressed to death (visually, they are like 6 gigs but it mustve been recorded using a low source), cant really get a feel for the full quality at that point

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

Yea, they were captured off a streaming site using screen recorder software which compresses them a fair bit.

Also Biollante is gonna be shown August 18th I think, will be sure to snag a copy.

wahoo123
Ronin

Post by wahoo123 »

What are the odds that all the Showa era films (I'm assuming that they haven't begun working on the Heisei era films yet) are restored by franchise's 70th birthday in 2024? Does anyone also know if the original negatives have survived for the films and are being used for the restorations or if they are using internegatives/positives?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I can see them ignoring certain films for a while and jumping around. When they first released the DVD and then the blurays they left several Showa films until the very end. I can see that happening again.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

wahoo123 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:52 am What are the odds that all the Showa era films (I'm assuming that they haven't begun working on the Heisei era films yet) are restored by franchise's 70th birthday in 2024? Does anyone also know if the original negatives have survived for the films and are being used for the restorations or if they are using internegatives/positives?
G54’s OCN is long gone, however the 4K presentation utilized a print that was at least 2 generations closer to it than prior masters.

KKvG: As complete OCN as possible, with some of the John Beck print sprinkled in where the trims could not be recovered.

MvG, GTTHM, and (I think) IoAM: OCN with interpositive used to fill in the gaps. I may be wrong about IoAM and it is indeed the full OCN.

After that none of the Champion Festival versions were edited off the OCN, so everything that’s been restored since (DAM, Hedorah, and Biollante) is complete OCN.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

https://godzilla.com/news/gojira-return ... rafthouse/

If you missed out on a chance to see the original Gojira in 4K last year at Alamo Drafthouse, you have another chance on November 3rd!

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

goji1986 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:14 am https://godzilla.com/news/gojira-return ... rafthouse/

If you missed out on a chance to see the original Gojira in 4K last year at Alamo Drafthouse, you have another chance on November 3rd!
If only this was part of the fathom events screening.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Not sure if it was previously known, but Rodan is getting restored in 4K as well.

Original Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/ryu_hikawa/status/1 ... 8ytS6ir8-Q

Translation of Tweets, courtesy of August: https://www.facebook.com/august.ragone/ ... RqqZSZb7Bl

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Rodan is definitely a film that needs a restoration, either color or detail or both have been crap since this film first was released on home video.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:13 pm I advocate making a whole new physical media format built to run 4K.
Please tell me this is satire.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Does anyone happen to know if the Millennium films were finished on film or as 2K DIs? Other than Final Wars, obviously, because that was shot digitally.

I caught the Fathom screening of GxMG last night and it was the first time I had seen it in a long while. They were showing the international version and I noticed that all the superimposed English text was clearly done optically, not digitally. I imagine the Japanese version is similar, aside from the CGI title sequence? The whole master used for the blu-ray and that screening looks like a scan (or I guess maybe a telecine) of a print, not a direct transfer from a DI. So it struck me suddenly, did that movie even have a DI?

I know that in the early 2000s certain movies, even VFX-heavy ones, were still getting finished on film like the first two Harry Potters, the Matrix sequels, and I believe the first two X-men movies, and all those movies have gotten true 4K scans in recent years while their counterparts finished as DIs are stuck in 2K like the LORT trilogy, or have to undergo a costly "rebuild" process like the first Spider-man. I have no idea what the timeline was like for Japan switching over to a full digital post workflow, but I'd imagine it was at least a few years later?

If the Millennium Godzilla titles were finished on film, they could be potential candidates for new 4K scans, and lordy do they need them. The only thing that would be stuck at 2K would be the CGI shots. I would love to see those suits and miniatures in 4K someday.
Last edited by DrBreakfastMachine on Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.