Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: Gamera Arrow Limited Edition set

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Annnnddd it's gone. Dag.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'm just gonna "stan" this Box Set and Arrow, Kadokawa, Matt Frank and everyone who brought it together one last time. I'm not trying to anger or upset anyone who didn't get it....but this thing is certainly the most prized possession of my physical media collection.

To include every film, multiple versions where applicable, multiple dubs where applicable, alternate footage and credits, audio commentary on every film, dense supplements on every disc, a book loaded with imagery and essays, that cool collection of comics, and such a copious amount of new artwork by Matt Frank. STILL mind-blowing.

I don't have any interaction or connection Matt Frank as a person how some fans have. Regardless, to go from the 10 year old kid writing into the Gamera comic to basically the illustrator of an entire Gamera Box Set, with his own Gamera comic included and commentary on one of the films...that's a storybook fantasy come to life. In his own way he's a permanent piece of the Gamera legacy at this point and that's amazing.

Gamera gets a US reboot or is ever in store for an import of a new Japanese Gamera film....I feel like Matt Frank has pretty much secured his spot on the design/concept art/storyboard/promotional imagery team.

This thing has greater density than the core of the planet. It is like a miracle of Box Set releases. It would have been so easy to make it all about the 'crown jewels' of the Heisei Trilogy and to put most effort on them and just include everything else for posterity. To see the entirety of the franchise, from the best to the worst treated with such reverence and respect and all be included together in this Gamera Mother Box is almost heartwarming. No unwanted children here. It's just as much a "History of Gamera" collection as it is a Box Set of films. You have to fight to find things that COULD have been included like the Gamera vs Barugon manga or the 2015 short. It is easier to list what is NOT in the set than it is to cover all that's here. Truly definitive.

I never would have thought that a Box Set release of films that have been around for years could be SO GOOD that the set alone feels like it elevates the status and reputation of the entire franchise.

This Box Set is the best thing to happen to the Gamera Legacy since the Heisei Trilogy.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

misfitsfan83
Ronin

Post by misfitsfan83 »

I lucked out and was able to buy one for a fair price from a scalper got tired of holding on to one of his extras.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Good fortune landed me a nice little extra chunk of change...and I found a good price for the two standard edition sets and decided to go ahead and get them.

The original set will become a permanent shelf piece to show off and the standards will be the ones I use and break into on a regular basis.

I'm happy to double dip and support this release twice over because it was so dedicated to going the extra mile to do right by the films.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:34 pm I'm happy to double dip and support this release twice over because it was so dedicated to going the extra mile to do right by the films.
It's a shame that people say stuff like this as if Criterion wouldn't have done something similar if they could have.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:36 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:34 pm I'm happy to double dip and support this release twice over because it was so dedicated to going the extra mile to do right by the films.
It's a shame that people say stuff like this as if Criterion wouldn't have done something similar if they could have.
I was one of the biggest defenders of that set and I'm glad I own it. Praising the Gamera set doesn't mean I was degrading the Criterion set. I absolutely would have loved some more from that set, but I still appreciated a lot about what that set DID give us, instead of just lamenting about what it could have been.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I don’t see anything about criterion in his post. He was entirely positive, saying Arrow did such a great job that he was happy to double dip and show his appreciation for their hard work. Why drag it down into yet another criterion vs arrow slug fest?

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Would haves, could haves...

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I was wondering if there was a smaller set that contained just the trilogy and Gamera The Brave, I am happy that there is one, and I just ordered it! I have the old Blu Ray trilogy, but I gave the third film to a friend. Plus, I would like to own The Brave.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Malchik wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:59 pm
Would haves, could haves...
Unfortunately, we're not playing "would'ves"/"could'ves/"should'ves".

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Criterion proved they wouldn't by simply shitting out absolutely horrible packaging and getting artists who didn't even bother to use the correct iterations of the characters for their images.

100%, fuck Criterion.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:56 am Criterion proved they wouldn't by simply shitting out absolutely horrible packaging and getting artists who didn't even bother to use the correct iterations of the characters for their images.

100%, fuck Criterion.
Their decades of great work on the 999 titles before the Godzilla set seems to disprove that. Criterion hasn't gotten the reputation they do for no reason. Yes the packaging failing was a huge flaw (though I don't mind the art) but the presentation of the films is still entirely on Toho. No other company would have been able to do better. I dont even know how that's even up for debate. It's the films that count and Toho doesn't give a shit.

People bitched about the 54 packaging but at the time Criterion's resortation work on the movies resulted in them looking the best they ever did. And then you have multiple extras, including two different commentaries. Honestly, it's really missing the forest for the trees if you are completing damming a company entirely over the packaging.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri May 20, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:12 pm
Their decades of great work on the 999 titles before the Godzilla set seems to disprove that.
Decades of great work on non-Godzilla titles, sure. Fully agree, I have a few of them. But they didn't drop the ball on Godzilla just once. They dropped the ball on it TWICE, dating all the way back to their original gimmicky release of 1954 that couldn't even bother to use the 1954 Godzilla and instead went with the 2002 version.
Criterion hasn't gotten the reputation they do for no reason. Yes the packaging failing was a huge flaw (though I don't mind the art) but the presentation of the films is still entirely on Toho. No other company would have been able to do better. I dont even know how that's even up for debate. It's the films that count and Toho doesn't give a poop.
Given companies like Arrow and Shout have proven to be able to dish out amazing releases with absolutely stunning artwork for schlocky, old school horror and monster movies... Hell yeah. A Showa set with all the features and love that went into the Gamera set with artwork and design done by an artist like Jeff Zornow or Matt Frank? I'd take that over any other clunky Criterion release.
People bitched about the 54 packaging but at the time Criterion's resortation work on the movies resulted in them looking the best they ever did. And then you have multiple extras, including two different commentaries. Honestly, it's really missing the forest for the trees if you are completing damming a company entirely over the packaging.
Damning the company? No. Damning the company's horrendous, almost barebones release of the films beyond '54? Yes... Can't even have f'n trailers or a poster gallery for the films. And yes, I know that is Toho's fault and not Criterion's, but its a glaring issue that bogs this set down. The art is absolutely wretched for most of the book and the packaging is just fucking obnoxious. Not just in its sheer size and inability to even go in a collection shelf, but the cover art itself is just f'n ugly with a Deviant Art-esque BioGoji.

You can like it all you want, but the Criterion set will ALWAYS be the biggest disappointment this franchise has given me from the 2010's.

Once again, fuck this set.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Fri May 20, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Im just as disappointed with the Criterion set as anyone. But I think the point trying to be made is this...

Let's say for the sake of argument, Arrow and/ or SF! wanted to strike a deal with Toho. Release all 15 Showa Godzilla films with all the content. All the dubs, different cuts, commentaries, alternate opening and closing credits etc.... Just like Arrows Gamera set.

One of 2 things would happen.

1. Toho would tell Arrow/SF! "No" straight up, because they are pedantic like that, or

2. Toho would ask so much money for all of that, that there's no way Arrow or SF! could afford to release said set. Or it would end up costing probably $300-$400 , which for some of us nuts, we would still pay that,but that is out of the range of reasonable cost for most fans.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's not a money thing. Toho doesn't want anything out there that they're not 100% sure they own. The theory is that they're afraid they'd be liable if someone came out of the woodwork claiming they're entitled to money from an old dub or something else like that. I personally thinks that's bullshit. I think the real reason is control of the brand. They want their masters out there the way they've created them (I'm sure they fear reverse importing, and anyone who thinks we'll see the 4K masters here before Toho is done exclusively releasing $150 box sets is crazy), they only want the dubs they created to be released. No more audio commentaries either, the Mill Creek Biollante release debacle made that clear. All special features now much be their own from previous releases. To an extent I definitely blame the Media Blasters DAM release but I think Toho was on that path regardless.

I know the faulty packaging and the art (which is entirely a matter of taste) are easy entry points for people to damn Criterion, as MM just did in his patented incendiary way. But let's not be ignorant, guys. In terms of film presentation, dubs or special features, Arrow wouldn't have been able to do better. Kadokawa was willing to play ball with Arrow for the silly flying turtle but the Criterion set proves that Toho doesn't play ball the same way for the international superstar.

To be mad specifically at Criterion in response to what Arrow was able to do is inane.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

o.supreme wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:59 am 1. Toho would tell Arrow/SF! "No" straight up, because they are pedantic like that,
Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:26 am I think the real reason is control of the brand. They want their masters out there the way they've created them...they only want the dubs they created to be released.
Pretty much the same right ? ;)
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yup, pretty much.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Besides the package, we're entering a new era of home media, and Arrow seems to be one of the pioneers of this new age. With the meteoric rise of streaming, average people don't need to buy home video anymore. Arrow's approach which is more skewed to the collectors market is the future, imo. They're playing a different ball game than Criterion/Janus, who's filled a particular niche since the 80s, namely the "important film." It makes sense that Toho would want to court the "important film" label for Godzilla. But they also seem strung up on a really gaudy aesthetic for the products they market in the west. Matt Frank's art being draped on every corner of Gamera set wasn't ideal for my taste, but his (and the team behind the set) passion for Gamera really shines through, while the Criterion approach, while a cool idea, doesn't really produce the same effect.
I think Toho needs to start trusting it's partners in the west when it comes to marketing Godzilla. Kadokawa trusted Arrow, and look at the magnificence we were blessed with.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon May 23, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But still....

Something would have to change at Toho for this to happen. Like I said, this is bigger than just Criterion's release. Toho doesn't want to preserve old dubs. They don't want audio commentaries or original bonus material. The only masters they offer are the HI-Vision ones. This is an issue with Toho. It's about keeping things off the market.

If Arrow did a Godzilla release would it have nice art and better packaging than Criterion? Probably. But that's really it.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:08 am This is an issue with Toho. It's about keeping things off the market.
I said the issue was with Toho. I was trying to keep focus on the Arrow set, but I'll elaborate on my thoughts about Toho.
The fear of Japanese consumers importing western releases which are supposedly cheaper than their domestic blurays is something I've heard a lot, don't know how true it is since I don't live in Japan.
For years, Toho didn't have a lot of control over Godzilla's international image, and some of the choices they made didn't help (hellooooo, Godzilla '98)
As far as the dubs go, I really can't blame Toho for wanting to shake the old image of 70s drive in Godzilla. They seem to be trying to strike a middle ground between "GODZILLA IS KING OF DA MONSTAS" and "Haha Godzilla sure can be goofy, huh" with their marketing in the west.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.