What Godzilla movies do you own?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Godzilla movies do you own?

Post by G1985 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:38 pm TNT MonsterVision was big for me when I was six or seven years old. My friend's mom taped the entire marathon - she was even kind enough to stop recording during the commercials. We wore those tapes out, man.
I only had about a day's warning for the marathon, and made damn sure I had enough tapes to record it all. I watched it for the Blue Oyster Cult music video as much as for the movies!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

G1985 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:54 pmI only had about a day's warning for the marathon, and made damn sure I had enough tapes to record it all. I watched it for the Blue Oyster Cult music video as much as for the movies!

Iconic!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Billionaire Ted really did monster fans a solid by letting the programmers of his stations fill time with just about every sub-genre of monster flick you could imagine.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

@Terasawa: I watch that video occasionally, that gives me warm feels from back when I was 11 and recorded it. Thanks for putting it up 8-) .

As for marathons. I believe local station KPIX 5 had a week in the early 80's (before I had a VCR) where they showed G vs The Thing, Frankenstein Conquers the World, the X from Outer Space, TOMG, and one other film...I just remember TOMG was relatively new to TV broadcasts, and the 10 minute prologue with footage form other films confused me for the longest time. I'm so glad Classic Media released that version on DVD.

Then there was the regular stuff KTSF 26 always showed as mentioned above. They always did a full week during the summer, but occasionally at other times they would show other G films at random.

Also the was the local undisputed king. Bob Wilkins Creature Features on KTVU 2. The only problem was that it always came on at 10pm or midnight, way past my bedtime as a little kid.

Grampa's Super Scary Saturday was great in the late 80's, that paired up with NWA rasslin' made for some great Saturdays. Then of course TNT Monstervision in the 90's. By then I had everything on VHS, so late 90's and early 2000's stuff from TNT, AMC, TCM and Sci-Fi I never recorded. I may have caught them occasionally on TV but never recorded any of them.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

o.supreme wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:22 pmGrampa's Super Scary Saturday was great in the late 80's, that paired up with NWA rasslin' made for some great Saturdays.
Heh, the tape I had Godzilla vs. Mothra on as a kid was of a block of TBS programming starting with WCW Clash Of The Champions VI. It'd be nice if these old TBS/TNT airings were online, like what Tarlcabot25 on Youtube does with his MST3K "Broadcast Editions".
Last edited by Joseph Goodman on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:59 am
I guess your generation's equivalent to VHS tapes recorded off television would be digital downloads, and I guess YouTube and streaming services have largely replaced television as a source for discovering movies.

I do kind of envy how readily available all of this kaiju and Japanese genre content is for new fans today. Still, as a ‘90s kid there was something very rewarding about seeking out physical copies of every Godzilla movie one by one, usually by finding them at various video rental stores.
I can understand that. I am very glad that I was able to experience Blockbuster, for example, at least for a good few years, since I always found that place so magical as a kid. I guess the closest thing for me is the feeling I get when I find a cool Godzilla figure in a store rather than just ordering it online. It definitely feels more rewarding.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:23 am I am very glad that I was able to experience Blockbuster, for example, at least for a good few years, since I always found that place so magical as a kid.
I remember how Sony released Godzilla 2000 for sale on DVD on December 26, 2000, but they inexplicably kept the VHS as a rental-only tape for several months thereafter. I went ahead and got the DVD before I even had a DVD player and I spent the next several weeks or months re-renting the tape from Blockbuster just to keep watching Godzilla 2000 again.

Terasawa wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:50 am
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:59 am I do kind of envy how readily available all of this kaiju and Japanese genre content is for new fans today. Still, as a ‘90s kid there was something very rewarding about seeking out physical copies of every Godzilla movie one by one, usually by finding them at various video rental stores.
Amen. It's amazing that I can get online today and find and watch movies I've waited years to see with just a few clicks and Google searches. But nothing matches the anticipation of scanning the weekend paper or other print TV listings and finding a new Japanese monster movie you haven't seen before is scheduled for the coming week. Nor is ordering a movie on Amazon comparable to the thrill of hoping to find a new film at the local video store. The '90s were a fantastic time to be a Godzilla fan in the U.S.
Indeed they were but I will say that Amazon dot com was a key part of my childhood Godzilla fandom in the late '90s. Barry's Temple of Godzilla listed Amazon, "the world's largest bookstore" as a website that offered Godzilla books. I remember that I won $30 from some local contest and my parents let me use it to make my very first online purchase from Amazon. Along with the Random House book The Official Godzilla Compendium, I ordered the TriStar VHS of Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla and the Goodtimes VHS of Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster, as those were two movies I still hadn't found at any video rental store in town. I was so excited when they arrived in the mail.

Many of the Godzilla movies that I owned on VHS were tapes that I found in stores, starting with Anchor Bay's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla at a Kmart. I found the Goodtimes Megalon tape at a Toys 'R Us, and I eventually found TriStar's Godzilla vs. Destroyer tape at a Suncoast Video, but I had to order Anchor Bay's Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Gigan and Godzilla 1985 tapes from Amazon. I finally completed my Godzilla VHS collection in 2001 when I won an eBay auction, $10 for a bundle of five tapes, one of which was the elusive Video Treasures release of Godzilla Raids Again from 1989.

For me, the thrill of the hunt for Godzilla movies was about watching them for the first time. Video rental stores had more of them than retail stores but they never had any for sale! I wanted to own them and I definitely appreciated online retailers for helping me complete my collection.

But the thrill of walking into video stores for the first time and finding whole rows of Godzilla movies that I had never seen before? The thrill of discovering Godzilla vs. Hedorah on a rare TV broadcast and capturing it on tape? Those were formative experiences that I wouldn't want to have missed. Anyone getting into Godzilla today can see all of the movies for the first time without even leaving their homes, just by downloading or streaming them. More accessibility for viewers means more exposure for the franchise, which is a good thing overall, but where's the thrill of the hunt?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:46 pm I remember how Sony released Godzilla 2000 for sale on DVD on December 26, 2000, but they inexplicably kept the VHS as a rental-only tape for several months thereafter.
And this is how my family got its first DVD player. :)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:46 pm Indeed they were but I will say that Amazon dot com was a key part of my childhood Godzilla fandom in the late '90s. Barry's Temple of Godzilla listed Amazon, "the world's largest bookstore" as a website that offered Godzilla books. I remember that I won $30 from some local contest and my parents let me use it to make my very first online purchase from Amazon. Along with the Random House book The Official Godzilla Compendium, I ordered the TriStar VHS of Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla and the Goodtimes VHS of Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster, as those were two movies I still hadn't found at any video rental store in town. I was so excited when they arrived in the mail.
My vague recollection is that Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla and Godzilla vs Destoroyah were actually kind of hard to get online when they first came out. Maybe that was just my experience, but I know my dad ordered both on one of the early internet retailers and it took SpaceGodzilla a long time to get to my door. I also know he was prepared to cancel the order if it turned up at the usual suspects (Sam Goody, Suncoast, et al.), but it never did.

There was also a long wait between the release of vs King Ghidorah and vs Mothra and the latter three films, although that was TriStar's doing. MGII was ultimately my first Godzilla movie in Japanese (in stock at the local comic shop!) at Christmas '98, at which point it seemed like TriStar forgot about the 1993-95 films. I didn't hear the dubbed version until I caught the last half on AMC around 2001.

Also, I'm kinda disappointed the Wayback Machine doesn't have any iterations of Barry's Temple prior to Dec. 1998! I first came across it in 1997, and I think that was when I learned about the movies after Biollante, as well as titles like The Mysterians, Atragon, and Frankenstein Conquers the World.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm very fortunate to have been a part of what is probably the last generation to have experienced video rental stores, ancient Internet, and other antiquities of late 1980's/early-mid 1990's Godzilla fandom. I remember vividly renting the Anchor Bay VHS tapes at Hollywood Video and scouring Media Play for the latest releases before its untimely death. I remember finding the Trendmasters figures in local comic book and collectible stores for dirt cheap and going home to browse Barry's Temple and Godzilla Tower's kaiju wrestling fan fictions for hours on end.

I definitely appreciate how accessible everything is now but nothing will beat the 1990's/early 2000's charm of not knowing every detail about the films and the joy of discovering unknown things from the franchise or Toho itself at large.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 pm and going home to browse Barry's Temple
Ohhhhh yeah, lots of that. I'm glad Barry keeps it online as a museum of sorts.

Anyone remember Andy's Palace of Godzilla? That was probably my favorite fan-site of the time.
I definitely appreciate how accessible everything is now but nothing will beat the 1990's/early 2000's charm of not knowing every detail about the films and the joy of discovering unknown things from the franchise or Toho itself at large.
Amen.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 pm I definitely appreciate how accessible everything is now but nothing will beat the 1990's/early 2000's charm of not knowing every detail about the films and the joy of discovering unknown things from the franchise or Toho itself at large.
I'd say even more so for the 80's and early 90's pre-internet when all we had was books and magazines. Reading back issues of 'Famous Monsters', and looking at all those super 8 film reels wishing I could purchase them. I had inherited many sci-fi/horror film books from the 70's from my father that maybe had a single chapter, or a few pages devoted to Godzilla and other Japanese Monster Movies. (This is how I found out about most of the non-Godzilla Kaiju films) There was also the Ian Thorne Godzilla book that I checked out from the Library more times than I can recollect (I finally had my dad actually photocopy the whole book at one point) :lol: . Then in 1990, Jeff Rovin's Encyclopedia of Monsters was like a treasure trove.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Godzilla MonsterVision marathon, but I was a little kid and didn't know the value of recording until I was 11 ir 12 years old. Come to think of it, every recording I had as a little kid must've been one of my parents figuring this was something I needed!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I remember Project G had a message board where a lot of the old time guys used to post a lot (John Rocco Roberto was active there). That was the late 90s and they even had an online convention I "attended" where various chat rooms were setup as panels for people to attend. Trolls eventually took their toll and it shut down in the 2000s. Had great memories of that place along with Barry's Temple.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I have all showa films (criterion), all the 90s films, all the millennium films, Shin Godzilla and the MonsterVerse films on blu ray.
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I can't edit my OP on pg. 13, so I'll say it here. This is the latest addition to my list of kaiju films/TV series in the Non-Toho section:

*Voyage Into Space (Scorpion Releasing/Ronin Flix) (Blu-ray, first pressing).

My niece gave it to me for Christmas last year and it just arrived in the mail today. This is one out of 1,800 copies that were made. Obviously, once they're gone, they're gone.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Gojira
Godzilla vs Mothra
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Final Wars
G14
GKotM

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just got another one yesterday for my Non-Toho section:

*Ultraman: The Complete Series (Mill Creek Entertainment (Blu-ray Steelbook version)).

I found this one at my local Walmart. Here's hoping they get both Ultra Q: The Complete Series and Ultra Seven: The Complete Series in the same format real soon.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

You can find all of the Mill Creek Ultraman sets online for mere peanuts, you know. I don't get the point in waiting in vain for more to show up at your local B&M store.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....