Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster?

Post by o.supreme »

To further complicate things, while any VHS which states "Cosmic Monster" may be the CS version, not all of them actually have the CS Logo at the beginning, and I cannot recall exactly which do or don't.

Another example is Megalon. Due to being believed to be in "public domain" there are literally dozens of different Cinema Shares Megalon VHS releases. However only 1 or 2 I think may actually have the CS logo preceding the film.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Vestron Video
Young Farmer

Post by Vestron Video »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:02 pm
Vestron Video wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:25 am So, can anyone tell me what tapes have the cinema shares version? I have a timeline, but it doesn’t say which has it. Some are titled cosmic monster, but are the international version, so which one do I get?
The only North American tapes that have the international version are titled "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" -- New World ('88), Starmaker (various thru the '90s), and Anchor Bay ('97). All other releases are "Cosmic Monster." But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the 1993 GoodTimes tape is even further cut down.

If you can track it down, the best version of Cosmic Monster on video was released by Siren Visual on DVD in Australia, paired with a censored version of AIP's Destroy All Monsters.
How do I find that release? I’m looking, but I can’t find anything. Can you provide a cover photo?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vestron Video wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:01 pm How do I find that release? I’m looking, but I can’t find anything. Can you provide a cover photo?
Yeah, unfortunately all three Siren releases are extremely hard to find. They were unlicensed and apparently didn't last long on the market. I got mine on eBay (specifically the Australian site), so I'd recommend setting up some saved searches there and just hope one pops up. Sorry. :?

Resized Image

I'd also recommend searching with keywords "volume 3," which is listed on the spine. Incidentally, volume 1 was KotM and KKvG; volume 2 was Godzilla vs the Thing and Ghidrah. I've never seen Vol. 1 anywhere but Vol. 2 offers transfers of GvTT and GtTHM from 16mm prints of their respective Americanizations.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vestron Video
Young Farmer

Post by Vestron Video »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:00 pm
Vestron Video wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:01 pm How do I find that release? I’m looking, but I can’t find anything. Can you provide a cover photo?
Yeah, unfortunately all three Siren releases are extremely hard to find. They were unlicensed and apparently didn't last long on the market. I got mine on eBay (specifically the Australian site), so I'd recommend setting up some saved searches there and just hope one pops up. Sorry. :?

I'd also recommend searching with keywords "volume 3," which is listed on the spine. Incidentally, volume 1 was KotM and KKvG; volume 2 was Godzilla vs the Thing and Ghidrah. I've never seen Vol. 1 anywhere but Vol. 2 offers transfers of GvTT and GtTHM from 16mm prints of their respective Americanizations.
Also, I found an additional volume. I can’t spend as much as they’re asking right now, so I’ll put it out to the limited amount of people who’ll see this. Go to eBay Australia and type in “Godzilla Double Feature.” The first result should be a DVD containing Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and not Cosmic Monster, with Monster Zero.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I assume these are R4 DVD? or are they region free?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:00 pm I'd also recommend searching with keywords "volume 3," which is listed on the spine. Incidentally, volume 1 was KotM and KKvG; volume 2 was Godzilla vs the Thing and Ghidrah. I've never seen Vol. 1 anywhere but Vol. 2 offers transfers of GvTT and GtTHM from 16mm prints of their respective Americanizations.
Funny thing about this Mothra64/Ghidrah64 release is that it has a cover artwork from Mothra92/Ghidorah91 :D
I bought this DVD around 2007 and I was so surprised that I got Showa movies instead of Heisei :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I still prefer the original title, but, anyone else like Cosmic Monster sounds cool?

Bisaju
Ronin

Post by Bisaju »

The uav vhs(mine in sp mode) is very dark and is hard to watch. But the best is the siren dvd. I only have the digital files via grey area means. Never saw the transfers beyond goodtimes,uav,siren,tv rips and my old 1988 recording on chicagos wgn(yet i live in texas wtf?). Uav is the only copy i would consider unwatchable outside the cuts made to goodtimes(which is way more watchable but the cuts). Wonder what the other tapes circulating outside of uav and goodtimes look like.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Bisaju wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 am my old 1988 recording on chicagos wgn(yet i live in texas wtf?).
WGN was a super station, i.e. their Chicago-based feed was carried by cable and satellite providers around the U.S.

Which also means WGN was one of very few national cable channels (maybe even the only one) to broadcast the Cinema Shares version of Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What version of the movie was The Sci Fi Channel airing in its earliest days? Was it the Cinema Shares version?

I first saw it on WNYW's Drive in Movie around 1987. But that was just syndication.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 am What version of the movie was The Sci Fi Channel airing in its earliest days? Was it the Cinema Shares version?

I first saw it on WNYW's Drive in Movie around 1987. But that was just syndication.
That was the international version (the same transfer released by New World, Starmaker, and Anchor Bay) with a new "Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster" title card. Video.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:24 pm
Pkmatrix wrote:As a kid in the '90s, I got ahold of two copies of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

In 1994, the Sci-Fi Channel introduced three Godzilla movies into its movie rotation: Godzilla vs. Megalon (the edited Cinema Shares version we all grew up with), Godzilla on Monster Island (the edited Cinema Shares version of "Gigan"), and Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster. The latter was the international version of the film, identical to the transfer we first saw in 1988 from New World, except it had a new "Cosmic Monster" title card created to resemble the international one.

Funny you mention the Sci-Fi Channel there. If I’m remembering correctly, they did a re-airing of Gigan and MechaGodzilla alongside Hedorah and Destroy All Monsters back in 1998. Tokyo Under Siege Week if I’m not mistaken.
Rest in Peace Victoria

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GojirO wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:57 pm Funny you mention the Sci-Fi Channel there. If I’m remembering correctly, they did a re-airing of Gigan and MechaGodzilla alongside Hedorah and Destroy All Monsters back in 1998. Tokyo Under Siege Week if I’m not mistaken.
It was August 1997, but that's right, although the versions of those films shown on Sci-Fi at that time were titled Godzilla on Monster Island (the original U.S. version) and Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster (the same version depicted in the screenshot you quoted). They were shown a couple times a year from 1994 to 2001; in 2002, SciFi began showing letterboxed presentations of the international versions of those films.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a complete list of every kaiju/tokusatsu movie shown on Sci-Fi from its inception until 2010.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 pm
GojirO wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:57 pm Funny you mention the Sci-Fi Channel there. If I’m remembering correctly, they did a re-airing of Gigan and MechaGodzilla alongside Hedorah and Destroy All Monsters back in 1998. Tokyo Under Siege Week if I’m not mistaken.
It was August 1997, but that's right, although the versions of those films shown on Sci-Fi at that time were titled Godzilla on Monster Island (the original U.S. version) and Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster (the same version depicted in the screenshot you quoted). They were shown a couple times a year from 1994 to 2001; in 2002, SciFi began showing letterboxed presentations of the international versions of those films.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a complete list of every kaiju/tokusatsu movie shown on Sci-Fi from its inception until 2010.
This just made my day. Thank you for this compiled list.
As for those listed, I still do have three of the four broadcast films recorded from television.
On and off I will watch them.
Rest in Peace Victoria

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:49 pm To further complicate things, while any VHS which states "Cosmic Monster" may be the CS version, not all of them actually have the CS Logo at the beginning, and I cannot recall exactly which do or don't.
I'm aware of only one video release of Cosmic Monster that has the Cinema Shares logo, and that's Siren's DVD. It could be present on some others I haven't seen, but I know it's missing on the 1993 GoodTimes and 1994 UAV releases.

There's also at least one British pre-cert video release (which is partially letterboxed) that has its British cinema logo. I don't recall offhand what company that was, but their logo was plastered over the Downtown Distribution credit seen here (same fanfare in the UK and U.S. releases):

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:22 pm
o.supreme wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:49 pm To further complicate things, while any VHS which states "Cosmic Monster" may be the CS version, not all of them actually have the CS Logo at the beginning, and I cannot recall exactly which do or don't.
I'm aware of only one video release of Cosmic Monster that has the Cinema Shares logo, and that's Siren's DVD. It could be present on some others I haven't seen, but I know it's missing on the 1993 GoodTimes and 1994 UAV releases.

There's also at least one British pre-cert video release (which is partially letterboxed) that has its British cinema logo. I don't recall offhand what company that was, but their logo was plastered over the Downtown Distribution credit seen here (same fanfare in the UK and U.S. releases):

A feast for the eyes, I had never seen the original title projected onto a film and not cropped. For the completionist, that site also has this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3t7DM7Irzw