* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:46 am
I've got the original official DVD release of Yongary, Monster from the Deep, the Midnite Movies Double Feature version with Konga.
Cool. It's still available on Amazon for $15. I just have the Alpha Video DVD, which is arguably older (2004 release opposed to MGM's 2007 DVD), but non-official.

Also, since you brought up Konga, I keep seeing this new "Konga TNT" movie, but I'm almost afraid to watch as it seems like some Asylum level of badness movie. If the original Yongary got paired up with Konga for a DVD release, I wonder if in a strange twist of irony, someday we might see Reptilian paired up with Konga TNT ;) .
Terasawa wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am
Great Hierophant wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 am I have KK33 and Son on Blu, I consider the first to be a genuine classic and while no one argues that its sequel is, it feels like going outside with one shoe on if I didn't acquire it as well.
Pretty much how I feel, as well. I'm no big fan of Son of Kong, but my collection feels incomplete without it. Ditto Mighty Joe Young, although that's a great film and one I watch even more frequently than the '33 Kong.
I love the original 33 King Kong, but just haven't felt the need to get the BRD for some reason. I did get the 3-pack DVD (Kong, Son, and MJY) which is good enough I guess.
I'd like to get Konga TNT, too. Is it available on stores or only online?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I'm fairly certain I've seen the Konga TNT DVD at Walmart etc... but you can also buy it online at Amazon etc...
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I decided that waiting indefinitely for a hypothetical Blu-ray is dumb, and ordered the Mysterians DVD off Amazon while I still can. I also picked up Ultraman Ace and One Million Years B.C.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:54 am I decided that waiting indefinitely for a hypothetical Blu-ray is dumb, and ordered the Mysterians DVD off Amazon while I still can.
That's the spirit!

There's a fully-subtitled audio commentary by Koichi Kawakita and Shinji Higuchi (with host Mr. Ishii) on that disc. It's fantastic!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:59 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:54 am I decided that waiting indefinitely for a hypothetical Blu-ray is dumb, and ordered the Mysterians DVD off Amazon while I still can.
That's the spirit!

There's a fully-subtitled audio commentary by Koichi Kawakita and Shinji Higuchi (with host Mr. Ishii) on that disc. It's fantastic!
Nice! It's been quite a few years since I've watched anything with a commentary going, but it's cool to have it available. With commentators like that, I'll have to give it a watch at some point.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 am Howl from Beyond the Fog!
I just streamed this, it was pretty cool, and a very inventive form of filming with the marionettes. I was surprised it was only about 30 minutes long though, the documentary on how it was filmed was longer than the film itself.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Have Arrow's The Snake Girl and The Silver-Haired Witch on the way. Still dumbfounded this has gotten an official US release. Also got their release of Blind Beast with it, which I've been meaning to pick up.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:28 am So now Gorgo, Gappa, and even Yongary have Blu Ray releases in North America. I have the Eclipse (Criterion) "Horror Came to Shochiku" DVD set, but I wonder if Guilala (X From Outer Space) will ever get a BRD release?
I have all three of those blu-rays! (plus Bf20KF, Behemoth, and Reptilicus)
I'd like to get X From Outer Space, but that DVD set is too pricey for getting it cause 1 kaiju film (I liked Goke, but not the sort of film I'd rewatch often) on DVD. I did finally get to see X though, through HBO Max. It's a very different, unique entry in the genre. Almost like a non-kaiju man goes to space vs saucers movie that was a bit popular in the era, but with a minor kaiju movie tacked onto it. Not bad though, definitely a different flavor than what their competitors were doing in the genre.

I'd like to get the short film Negadon, but not sure about buying a nearly 20 year old DVD. Couldn't even find a streaming option on my Roku tv. It's probably on youtube or something, but not the same.

Added in 24 minutes 49 seconds:
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 am Howl from Beyond the Fog!
I love that short, somehow managed to get the first blu-ray printing of that. Some don't like how it was done with marionettes, but I love the unearthly dreamlike quality it kind of lends the whole thing.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I used to have the Negadon DVD. I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it, that is not the sort of thing that happens because I keep my media pretty well organized. I *think* I might have made a decision to trim at some point, after the horribleness that was Death Kappa, I decided I just needed extra space and couldn't afford to own all the smaller Indy kaiju films, though some were good, and some not so good. Howl beyond the Fog is great, but like Negadon, it is more of a short film, than a full length feature. I used to own Garuda as well, I think I had to trim that one. There was an era where a LOT of indy kaiju film were getting made, A few are coming back now. If I can stream them I will, but I reserve my physical media library for Toho/Daiei and adjacent films, and classic golden age kaiju and sci-fi films as they become available

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

gvk ther

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 am I used to have the Negadon DVD. I can't for the life of me remember what happened to it, that is not the sort of thing that happens because I keep my media pretty well organized. I *think* I might have made a decision to trim at some point, after the horribleness that was Death Kappa, I decided I just needed extra space and couldn't afford to own all the smaller Indy kaiju films, though some were good, and some not so good. Howl beyond the Fog is great, but like Negadon, it is more of a short film, than a full length feature. I used to own Garuda as well, I think I had to trim that one. There was an era where a LOT of indy kaiju film were getting made, A few are coming back now. If I can stream them I will, but I reserve my physical media library for Toho/Daiei and adjacent films, and classic golden age kaiju and sci-fi films as they become available
I don't mind owning the smaller indy short films, as long as they're good - I've already watched Howl from Beyond the Fog multiple times and will watch it multiple more, so definitely getting my money's worth at least. I've only seen Negadon once though, but thought it was very, very good. Luckily I've spared myself from having ever seen Death Kappa. Never seen Garuda, but I'll check if it's streaming.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

My local Barnes &Noble is closing, so 50% off sale. I got the Eclipse Horror Came to Shochiku set for $30, as well as non-Kaiju Criterion films, The Graduate and Rashamon. Got some comic books too.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Arrow's Yokai Monsters set. It just got here, courtesy of Amazon. The packaging is very nice, as usual, and I'm very glad to have these movies in my collection.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:04 am Arrow's Yokai Monsters set. It just got here, courtesy of Amazon. The packaging is very nice, as usual, and I'm very glad to have these movies in my collection.
It is a good set, wonderful purchase. Watched the first 2 movies so far and I am not disappointed. Hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1996 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Tokyo Shock Atragon DVD. I love the sky blue spine, very bright and stands out against the darker cases around it.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I had to buy replacement discs for my Classic Media Invasion of Astro Monster and Godzilla's Revenge because they got damaged by a faulty DVD player. And as the same seller was also selling copies of Simitar's Godzilla vs. Mothra and Godzilla vs. Monster Zero DVDs, I bought those too for their widescreen presentations.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Snake Girl and the Silver Haired Witch finally came from Diabolik!

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:52 am The Tokyo Shock Atragon DVD. I love the sky blue spine, very bright and stands out against the darker cases around it.
I still have to pick that and Dogorah up.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I can't edit my OP on pg. 35 anymore, so I'll say it here. This is the latest addition to my list of kaiju films/TV series:

*Voyage Into Space (Scorpion Releasing/Ronin Flix). (Blu-ray, first pressing)

My niece gave it to me for Christmas last year and it just arrived in the mail today. This is one out of 1,800 copies that were made. Obviously, once they're gone, they're gone.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.