* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 am
KingCornetto wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:24 am Just splurged and bought the Tokyo Shock Frankenstein, Mysterians, Varan, and Matango DVDS. My wallet is not happy, but once they come in, I will be.
And on that note, I've been wondering if these are worth picking up. I know the Varan DVD is supposed to be garbage, but what about the others? They're a bit on the pricy side for DVDs, but if they're good quality releases* of their respective films, I'll definitely want them. There's no telling when/if Blu-rays will come along.

*Relatively speaking, of course; I know how Toho is with releasing its films outside of Japan.
All of those are pretty bad transfers (especially Mysterians and Matango) but since there are no prospects of an American re-release for any of them, they're worth getting if you want to have the films.

The best thing today about the Media Blasters Toho releases is the wealth of extra features which, except for the brand new English dubbed version of The Mysterians (utterly wretched) and the awful "reconstruction" of the American version of Frankenstein Conquers the World, were all ported from the Japanese DVDs.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 am All of those are pretty bad transfers (especially Mysterians and Matango) but since there are no prospects of an American re-release for any of them, they're worth getting if you want to have the films.

The best thing today about the Media Blasters Toho releases is the wealth of extra features which, except for the brand new English dubbed version of The Mysterians (utterly wretched) and the awful "reconstruction" of the American version of Frankenstein Conquers the World, were all ported from the Japanese DVDs.
Hmm. Okay, I think I'll probably pass on Matango (which is the only one of these I've already seen) and try holding out for better releases of Mysterians and Varan, but I may have to get Frankenstein soon.

What about Atragon, Dogora, and Latitude Zero?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Got my copy of GvK in 3D from Amazon yesterday. Unfortunately the US release does not come with a slipcover, making it the only Monsterverse title on my shelf without one.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:06 pm What about Atragon ... and Latitude Zero?
There's also Space Amoeba. For these, pretty much the same story as the others. Basically ports of the R2 discs from Toho. Atragon is another lousy transfer.

Unless you want to see Amoeba right now, I'd wait until there's a BD release in Japan or (less likely...) the west -- Toho's HD master of that title is beautiful. I haven't seen the HD version of LZ yet but Atragon needs a 4K restoration really bad (the Blu-ray is a HiVision master).
Dogora
This one's unique because it was released before Toho put out its own DVD. It's the only one of the bunch which didn't have extensive bonus content and, more significantly, the only one which had its own unique transfer. The reviewer on the main site preferred Toho's transfer (I don't), but which one is better is effectively a moot point since the HD transfer is pretty good (although Dogora's not out on BD in Japan yet).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

KingCornetto wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:24 am Just splurged and bought the Tokyo Shock Frankenstein, Mysterians, Varan, and Matango DVDS. My wallet is not happy, but once they come in, I will be.
And on that note, I've been wondering if these are worth picking up. I know the Varan DVD is supposed to be garbage, but what about the others? They're a bit on the pricy side for DVDs, but if they're good quality releases* of their respective films, I'll definitely want them. There's no telling when/if Blu-rays will come along.

*Relatively speaking, of course; I know how Toho is with releasing its films outside of Japan.
The only one I’ve seen yet is Matango, and it is great. Decent transfer and audio, but it’s loaded with special features we rarely get in the US, including Akira Kubo Commentary and a great interview with Teruyoshi Nakano.
Last edited by KingCornetto on Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 am

All of those are pretty bad transfers (especially Mysterians and Matango) but since there are no prospects of an American re-release for any of them, they're worth getting if you want to have the films.

Oh, I thought Matango looked alright, maybe it was my TV.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think you'll be happy to you did as well. We apparently were spoiled by the various non-Godzilla Toho sci-fi titles we got from MB and others on DVD during that era. Disappointing given that many of them are on Blu-ray in Japan so in theory Toho would allow it. Even so, new Blu-rays have a good chance of not having the special features aforementioned, so the DVDs will still be worth it long-term.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:43 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:06 pm What about Atragon ... and Latitude Zero?
There's also Space Amoeba. For these, pretty much the same story as the others. Basically ports of the R2 discs from Toho. Atragon is another lousy transfer.

Unless you want to see Amoeba right now, I'd wait until there's a BD release in Japan or (less likely...) the west -- Toho's HD master of that title is beautiful. I haven't seen the HD version of LZ yet but Atragon needs a 4K restoration really bad (the Blu-ray is a HiVision master).
Dogora
This one's unique because it was released before Toho put out its own DVD. It's the only one of the bunch which didn't have extensive bonus content and, more significantly, the only one which had its own unique transfer. The reviewer on the main site preferred Toho's transfer (I don't), but which one is better is effectively a moot point since the HD transfer is pretty good (although Dogora's not out on BD in Japan yet).
I've seen Space Amoeba already via Amazon Video, so no rush on that one, either.

I guess I'll go ahead and buy Dogora soon, too. Thanks for the info!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tohosaurus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:08 pmEven so, new Blu-rays have a good chance of not having the special features aforementioned, so the DVDs will still be worth it long-term.
Yeah, just to be clear, I do think MB's eight non-Godzilla Toho kaiju movies are worth having, primarily for this reason. While it's true that most of the special features come from the domestic Toho DVDs, there's no guaranteeing that future U.S. releases will preserve the subtitled audio commentaries or interviews.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

My Frankenstein Conquers the World DVD came in, but one of the button was broken in the box. Disc looks like it may have been scratched from it, even though it was shrink wrapped and still had the factory seal. Will test if it works this week. Hoping it does.

Swapped the case with an old double DVD one I never watch and don’t care if it gets damaged. (Sorry Shrek 2.)

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Got the GvK 4K the day it came out at Target. Film looks really great in 4K. I'm not a giant fan of the box art. I redeemed the digital code and I was surprised to see so many extras on Vudu. I like how the digital carriers are doing a good job of porting over more special features from the physical releases. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary track yet but I will have some time this weekend
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Frankenstein Conquers the World and Dogora DVDs seem to be running out on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered mine. $64... I guess it could've been a lot worse. I'll be glad to finally see these movies, anyway.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:58 am The Frankenstein Conquers the World and Dogora DVDs seem to be running out on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered mine. $64... I guess it could've been a lot worse. I'll be glad to finally see these movies, anyway.
Amazon Lists every Tokyo Shock DVD as low in stock except Space Amoeba…I’m not ready to drop $120 on the four I don’t own, but I might have to pick up Atragon, only eight left.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KingCornetto wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:37 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:58 am The Frankenstein Conquers the World and Dogora DVDs seem to be running out on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered mine. $64... I guess it could've been a lot worse. I'll be glad to finally see these movies, anyway.
Amazon Lists every Tokyo Shock DVD as low in stock except Space Amoeba…I’m not ready to drop $120 on the four I don’t own, but I might have to pick up Atragon, only eight left.
Ouch. Well, I'd rather wait for a 'good' transfer, anyway. It'll come eventually. Might not even be long, with the New Kaiju Boom in progress, and all. Toho might be inclined to capitalize and throw us a few blu-rays.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:01 amMight not even be long, with the New Kaiju Boom in progress, and all. Toho might be inclined to capitalize and throw us a few blu-rays.
I wouldn't count on that. These films are going to remain off the North American market until a distributor licenses them for home release.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And the DVDs are here. FCTW's English disk had popped out of place and is fairly scratched up, but I'm most likely watching in Japanese first, anyway, so that's a potential problem for later.

Anyway, it's kind of surreal, finally owning these two. I've been aware of them since at least 2003 (when I discovered Rodan's Roost and the treasure trove of information in its Kaiju Stats section), and it's strange to own the physical disks after these films have been nothing but online discussion and pictures for so many years. Watching them will be bittersweet, too, kind of the end of an era. Still excited, though!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 am And the DVDs are here. FCTW's English disk had popped out of place and is fairly scratched up, but I'm most likely watching in Japanese first, anyway, so that's a potential problem for later.

Anyway, it's kind of surreal, finally owning these two. I've been aware of them since at least 2003 (when I discovered Rodan's Roost and the treasure trove of information in its Kaiju Stats section), and it's strange to own the physical disks after these films have been nothing but online discussion and pictures for so many years. Watching them will be bittersweet, too, kind of the end of an era. Still excited, though!
But it's a new era, an era where you have them and have watched them! :g2k:
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm Image

I mean, did anyone not buy this today?
I suspect I will never get it, honestly.

Got the 70's King Kong blu though.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms and The Return of Ultraman. I still have around half of Ultraseven to watch before I start RoU, but I figured I'd grab it while it's on sale.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:01 amMight not even be long, with the New Kaiju Boom in progress, and all. Toho might be inclined to capitalize and throw us a few blu-rays.
I wouldn't count on that. These films are going to remain off the North American market until a distributor licenses them for home release.
And who knows if even that will happen, because that involves dealing with Toho for something that's not even a sure seller like Godzilla.