The Daimajin Trilogy coming from Arrow Films!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: The Daimajin Trilogy coming from Arrow Films!

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I would point out that I think getting in early with Amazon preorders probably helps your chances in situations where stock is limited -- I preordered the Gamera box pretty much the minute it appeared on there and my copy arrived without incident -- but I don't think this is going to be anything like that in terms of demand for the limited set overwhelming the supply.

Basically, if what you're worried about is not getting it, that's a good reason to claim your spot in line early. Realistically, though, I think you'll probably be okay.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

canofhumdingers
G-Force Personnel

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yeah I don’t think this one will be as high demand as the Gamera set, but you just never know. I also own the previous Blu ray set and had the same internal debate about whether I really needed to upgrade. But the bottom line is, for me, it wasn’t worth the risk of *not* being able to pick it up later. Plus I very much want to support these kind of higher end, fan oriented releases of kaiju films. We need more of these archival-level sets!
“Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind.”
~The Doctor

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

o.supreme wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:57 am Amazon is being weird right now with the Ultraman BRD's from MC, so I am going to hold off on the Daimajin set. I am content with the MC BRD set. I mean I already have the ADV VHS, the ADV DVD set, and the retromedia DVD for the English Dubs, and the purpose of getting the MC was to be the "end -all-be-all". I admit the Arrow set has some nice features, but I'll wait. If it comes down to a reasonable price I'll get it. If not, no big loss. The Gamera set was a must. And while the Warning From Space BRD was not really a high priority at all, it was more of a one-off. Not something I had several copies of already. While the Arrow Daimajin set has some nice additions, it is not a must for me.
Got to ask - what do you mean weird? I have them (a butch of Ultraman sets) and Daimajin in one of my wishlists there and will order them evenutally (but not right now since I can't order everything I want at once - tragically!) - so was wondering about it.

- Michael

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

Well Ultraman Leo has a release date in 2 weeks (May 25th), and My pre-order I did on day one still has no estimated delivery date. However, the next MC Releases (Ultra Galaxy set and Ultraman Zero set), have a release date of June 15th, but last week, Amazon updated my order to say they will not arrive until July 7. I understand delays happen, but why would Amazon know more about a release that is over a month away, than one that is now just 2 weeks away?
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Got it. It's more a day and date concern with these. That I can work with. As long I get it in the end I'm fine. But I can understand it as an issue for sure.

- Michael

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Got mine pre ordered through Diablo. Sold my Mill Creek set a few months ago to finance this set which looks to be superior. Excited!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kadokawa has 4K masters of the Majin films coming down the pipeline right now. They won't be finished until after the Arrow set drops. (Edit: Whoops, this is apparently not the case.) Nice. Also, the trailer linked below features a line from a previously unknown Hong Kong dubbed version of Return of Majin (the middle film of the trilogy) -- that dub is not listed on Arrow's specs. Double nice. What a skreeonking drag.

Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Pretty blackpilled on toku home video releases at this point. I wonder if Arrow wasn't told about any of this, or if they asked.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

canofhumdingers
G-Force Personnel

So… are all the films in that trailer getting 4K releases or remasters? What exactly were they advertising?

Also, what was that brief clip of samurai fighting a giant spider? That looked awesome
~The Doctor

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

The Yokai and Daimajin films are; Gamera isn't apparently.

The trailer is for some festival screenings.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:09 pm Also, what was that brief clip of samurai fighting a giant spider? That looked awesome
The Demon of Mount Oe / 大江山酒天童子 (1960):

Added in 5 minutes 1 second:
omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm The Yokai and Daimajin films are; Gamera isn't apparently.
Yeah, according to the list at the end, the "4K Remastered Versions" are limited to the three Yokai films of the '60s (not the 2005 reboot) and the Daimajin trilogy. I assume they aren't showing the Gamera trilogy because those were already screened earlier this year.

Added in 56 minutes 27 seconds:
Incidentally, here's the list of titles run at the end of the video.
Spoiler:
Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968) - 4K
" " Spook Warfare (1968) - 4K
" " Along with Ghosts (1969) - 4K
The Great Yokai War (2005)

Daimajin - 4K
Return of Daimajin - 4K (English dubbed, Japanese subtitled)
Daimajin Strikes Again - 4K

Gamera
Gamera vs. Barugon
Gamera vs. Gyaos
Gamera vs. Viras - Theatrical, "overseas", and "director's cut" versions. [This is the nomenclature used in the video.]
Gamera vs. Guiron
Gamera vs. Jiger
Gamera vs. Zigra
Super Monster
Gamera: The Brave

Buddha (1961)
Nichiren and the Great Mongol Invasion (1958)
The Whale God (1962)
The Demon of Mount Oe (1960)
The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly (1957)
Warning from Space (1956)
Wind Velocity 75 Meters (1963)
Tokyo Blackout (1987)
The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (1968)

The Snow Woman (1968)
Yotsuya Kaidan (I think this is the 1969 version.)
The Bride from Hades (1968)
Kaidan kakuidori (1961)
Ghost Story of Kasane Swamp (1960?)

"There is also a secret screening."
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
G-Force Personnel

Fascinating. Also curious as to why Return of DaiMajin is dubbed? Odd.
~The Doctor

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm Fascinating. Also curious as to why Return of DaiMajin is dubbed? Odd.
The trailer calls it a special presentation and refers to the dubbed version itself as a "discovery". Presumably, Kadokawa didn't realize it had that dubbed version until work began on the 4K remaster. If I was a Japanese fan, I'd be pretty steamed that they aren't showing the Japanese version (although that will be available on Blu-ray in September). As an American fan, however, I'm more upset that Kadokawa is reserving the privilege of hearing an unknown English-dubbed version for Japanese fans who probably couldn't care less about a dubbed version, let alone one that hasn't been released before.

mikelcho
Gotengo Officer

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:35 pm
canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:09 pm Also, what was that brief clip of samurai fighting a giant spider? That looked awesome
The Demon of Mount Oe / 大江山酒天童子 (1960):

Added in 5 minutes 1 second:
omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:16 pm The Yokai and Daimajin films are; Gamera isn't apparently.
Yeah, according to the list at the end, the "4K Remastered Versions" are limited to the three Yokai films of the '60s (not the 2005 reboot) and the Daimajin trilogy. I assume they aren't showing the Gamera trilogy because those were already screened earlier this year.

Added in 56 minutes 27 seconds:
Incidentally, here's the list of titles run at the end of the video.
Spoiler:
Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters (1968) - 4K
" " Spook Warfare (1968) - 4K
" " Along with Ghosts (1969) - 4K
The Great Yokai War (2005)

Daimajin - 4K
Return of Daimajin - 4K (English dubbed, Japanese subtitled)
Daimajin Strikes Again - 4K

Gamera
Gamera vs. Barugon
Gamera vs. Gyaos
Gamera vs. Viras - Theatrical, "overseas", and "director's cut" versions. [This is the nomenclature used in the video.]
Gamera vs. Guiron
Gamera vs. Jiger
Gamera vs. Zigra
Super Monster
Gamera: The Brave

Buddha (1961)
Nichiren and the Great Mongol Invasion (1958)
The Whale God (1962)
The Demon of Mount Oe (1960)
The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly (1957)
Warning from Space (1956)
Wind Velocity 75 Meters (1963)
Tokyo Blackout (1987)
The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (1968)

The Snow Woman (1968)
Yotsuya Kaidan (I think this is the 1969 version.)
The Bride from Hades (1968)
Kaidan kakuidori (1961)
Ghost Story of Kasane Swamp (1960?)

"There is also a secret screening."
I'm surprised Rainbow Man and The Invisible Man Appears, both from 1949 (in that order), didn't make this list. They're the two earliest tokusatsu science fiction films known to exist. Any others that may have existed before them have been lost to time and the ravages of World War II.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

So, to clarify, all of the listed films are getting 4K remasters, and none of those will be released in the US? Or have US releases just not been confirmed yet?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
JXSDF Technician

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:15 pm So, to clarify, all of the listed films are getting 4K remasters, and none of those will be released in the US? Or have US releases just not been confirmed yet?
The upcoming Arrow release is not the new 4K masters, and based on the clip up there of the newly discovered dub, won't be as all-encompassing as the Gamera collection. That's the big takeaway I'm getting. The 4K stuff, if it comes here, probably won't for a while after this set.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:15 pm So, to clarify, all of the listed films are getting 4K remasters, and none of those will be released in the US? Or have US releases just not been confirmed yet?
I think it's just the Daimajin films and the older Yokai films getting 4Ks.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The trailer I linked yesterday is advertising a film festival running from July 16 to August 12; of the 31 films being screened, only the Yokai and Daimajin trilogies are advertised as being shown from 4K remasters. The Yokai trilogy is set to be released individually on Blu-ray (from the 4K remasters) on August 18 in Japan, while the Majin films (also from the 4K masters) will follow in a box set on September 24.

Meanwhile, Arrow has the Daimajin films coming out on Blu-ray in the UK and U.S. on July 26. Considering the timing (@kado_cine reported that Daimajin's grade was finished shortly before June 11, link), it seems really unlikely that Arrow's set will use either the 4K masters for these films or the recently-rediscovered-in-Japan international dub of Return of Daimajin.

Hope that's clearer now.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

Huh...I wonder why just the 2nd film. I'm thinking perhaps they all got dubs (similar to some of the Gamera films), but maybe the first and 3rd films dubs are still "lost" (or possibly destroyed?). Oh well.... it would be a novelty to hear, but kind of like the the import dubs of some of the showa gamera films, it probably isn't nearly as good as the AIP ones we already have. Next thing you know, they'll discover a long lost dub of Zigra :lol: . (In which case it would instantly be an Improvement over Sandy Franks)
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:24 am
The trailer I linked yesterday is advertising a film festival running from July 16 to August 12; of the 31 films being screened, only the Yokai and Daimajin trilogies are advertised as being shown from 4K remasters. The Yokai trilogy is set to be released individually on Blu-ray (from the 4K remasters) on August 18 in Japan, while the Majin films (also from the 4K masters) will follow in a box set on September 24.

Meanwhile, Arrow has the Daimajin films coming out on Blu-ray in the UK and U.S. on July 26. Considering the timing (@kado_cine reported that Daimajin's grade was finished shortly before June 11, link), it seems really unlikely that Arrow's set will use either the 4K masters for these films or the recently-rediscovered-in-Japan international dub of Return of Daimajin.

Hope that's clearer now.
It is, thanks. Man, that's really unfortunate. I'll still get the Arrow set, though, I guess... who knows how long it will be before the next release comes along to incorporate the 4K and dub. It's just too bad there's a shadow hanging over the Arrow release, now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio