What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What major film company do you think would own Gamera?

Universal
8%
Paramount
No votes
Warner Bros.
24%
Walt Disney
44%
Sony
No votes
MGM
No votes
Lionsgate
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 25

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:48 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:24 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 am
Now imagine a world where, at any moment, a giant monster could rise from the ocean, crawl out of the ground, swoop down from the sky or even arrive from outer space and literally wipe out an ENTIRE CITY.
Don't need to. I live in a world where two asshole nations have enough nuclear firepower to end all civilization. And to say nothing else about the other crazy ass nations that like reminding everyone they also have them.

I still laugh at North Korea, Russia and US ending the world stuff.
Nukes aren't quite the same simply because humans control them. Kim or Putin or whoever can't push the button without killing themselves in the process. Aside from maybe a few religious extremists, very few people are willing to actually go through with that, hence why it still hasn't happened. Nobody wins that war.

Kaiju, meanwhile, are essentially gods. They don't operate on human psychology, they have nothing to fear from attacking us, and we have no control over what they do. If the US and Russia are going to launch nukes, chances are there will be some big dramatic leadup to it. We'll see it coming and have time to prepare. There's usually no warning before a kaiju attack. No predicting it. No human logic to it. It basically sets humanity back a million years, to when the forces of nature were utterly mysterious, and a two thousand-pound bear could stroll into your cave at any moment. All you can do is pray it won't happen to you.
Just reading that, I envisioned Russian Roulette memes. I seriously can't see how there wouldn't be a comical side people see to cope with.

Also... The movies themselves treat the kaiju as funny. Kid was playing with Ghidorah toys in 71, a mere 6 years since aliens used him to attack.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The movies themselves treat the kaiju that way, true. But the movies are escapism.

In real life they wouldn't be mass producing children's toys of creatures that are wiping out entire cities and millions of people.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:12 am Also... The movies themselves treat the kaiju as funny. Kid was playing with Ghidorah toys in 71, a mere 6 years since aliens used him to attack.
If you treat film-to-film continuity as the filmmakers' chief goal, maybe, but Godzilla vs. Hedorah is more concerned with telling its own story than worrying about how it connects to previous Godzilla movies. Ken plays with Godzilla and Ghidorah toys because kids in contemporary real-world Japan did, and because the filmmakers are using the toys to quickly establish Ken's affinity for Godzilla. I don't think the in-universe implications of that were really examined.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:54 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 pm Humor is a coping mechanism, after all. Going to really depend on what a person is able to take and how dark their sense of humor can get.
Oh yes let us humor during a time where a girl cries out for her dead mother or a woman telling her children that they'll join their father soon before Godzilla kills them.

Obviously referring to Gojira (1954).
I agree with MM and others here: I think that, if the events of that movie happened in reality, we would definitely see some people make light of the tragedy or even make fun of Godzilla's appearance in pictures like this.

We don't see that happen in Godzilla (1954) because that's not the story the filmmakers chose to tell. A film can only depict a much narrower perspective of any event than reality does. I don't think it's ridiculous to imagine that, in the world of that film, there were crass, immature, and tasteless jokes about what happened; the catch is that all of those jokes and comments happened off-screen.

Likewise, people absolutely would laugh in reality if a 164-foot monster slid across a stretch of countryside on his tail. We can't discount that scene because it wouldn't happen in reality, because after all it did occur in the reality the films inhabit. If you're looking at the events of these movies from a strictly-in-world perspective, then you can't ignore anything that breaks real-world physical laws.

And I do think people laugh at Groot and Rocket Raccoon, at least at first. Isn't there even a joke to that effect in the first GotG? The MCU and Hollywood movies in general do a lot of lampshade hanging when we're asked to accept something pretty ridiculous, and to be fair, that practice seems to work for most audiences. That may even be a key difference as to why the Godzilla and kaiju films are sometimes considered more absurd than comic book movies -- the modern superhero movies will go out of their way to acknowledge how inherently preposterous the situation is, whereas most Japanese monster movies do not. I cannot think of one instance in twelve films where the filmmakers lampshaded Gamera, we're just expected to accept this utterly ridiculous creature. A Hollywood Gamera movie would probably be very self-referential and metaphysical, or at least more than the Japanese films usually are.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:12 am
JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:48 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:24 am

Don't need to. I live in a world where two asshole nations have enough nuclear firepower to end all civilization. And to say nothing else about the other crazy ass nations that like reminding everyone they also have them.

I still laugh at North Korea, Russia and US ending the world stuff.
Nukes aren't quite the same simply because humans control them. Kim or Putin or whoever can't push the button without killing themselves in the process. Aside from maybe a few religious extremists, very few people are willing to actually go through with that, hence why it still hasn't happened. Nobody wins that war.

Kaiju, meanwhile, are essentially gods. They don't operate on human psychology, they have nothing to fear from attacking us, and we have no control over what they do. If the US and Russia are going to launch nukes, chances are there will be some big dramatic leadup to it. We'll see it coming and have time to prepare. There's usually no warning before a kaiju attack. No predicting it. No human logic to it. It basically sets humanity back a million years, to when the forces of nature were utterly mysterious, and a two thousand-pound bear could stroll into your cave at any moment. All you can do is pray it won't happen to you.
Just reading that, I envisioned Russian Roulette memes. I seriously can't see how there wouldn't be a comical side people see to cope with.

Also... The movies themselves treat the kaiju as funny. Kid was playing with Ghidorah toys in 71, a mere 6 years since aliens used him to attack.
Oh, no, I totally agree with that. I meant to end that post with something like "People would still poke fun at the situation, though.", but it slipped my mind. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:00 pmAnd I do think people laugh at Groot and Rocket Raccoon, at least at first. Isn't there even a joke to that effect in the first GotG? The MCU and Hollywood movies in general do a lot of lampshade hanging when we're asked to accept something pretty ridiculous, and to be fair, that practice seems to work for most audiences. That may even be a key difference as to why the Godzilla and kaiju films are sometimes considered more absurd than comic book movies -- the modern superhero movies will go out of their way to acknowledge how inherently preposterous the situation is, whereas most Japanese monster movies do not. I cannot think of one instance in twelve films where the filmmakers lampshaded Gamera, we're just expected to accept this utterly ridiculous creature. A Hollywood Gamera movie would probably be very self-referential and metaphysical, or at least more than the Japanese films usually are.
I think the other thing too is that Rocket and Groot and the comic book movies we know today notably the MCU was introduced to more modern audiences who are more accepting of very absurd concepts in cinema nowadays.

Whereas Godzilla films and other kaiju films. The movies began as giant rubber monsters attacking cardboard cities for decades and so this likely left a huge stigma on the kaiju genre and no matter how seriously depicted or phenomenal it may look (CGI and motion capture notably in the MonsterVerse). The general audience as a whole are always going to see the kaiju genre that way apparently.

Had it been the opposite, it would have probably been the other way around then.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

If there is one thing this little exchange has shown me is that maybe I find too much war/disaster events funny. JAGzilla said it best earlier though... Can't really help what I find funny and how I deal with horrible news from the world away. But rest assured, if the events of Godzilla vs. Megalon played out in "reality", I'd be laughing.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think that's a good place to wrap up this "real world tragedy" detour in order to get back to the main topic at hand.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Wow, Disney's in the lead by a significant margin. I'm actually kind of surprised by that lol. Guess people here want Gamera to feel the Disney magic!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm Wow, Disney's in the lead by a significant margin. I'm actually kind of surprised by that lol. Guess people here want Gamera to feel the Disney magic!
Well, the thing with Disney is that you're almost guaranteed some level of quality. It might be bland, but more often than not Disney delivers reasonably enjoyable content, and frequently does a lot better than that. They're also the single biggest name in the industry: they have a gargantuan global fanbase ready to watch anything they produce, almost guaranteeing profit. They also buy off critics, ensuring success on that front. And if the first movie succeeds, there will be more. Many more, potentially. Plus Disney + shows. Plus floods of merch falling off of Walmart shelves indefinitely. Plus, plus, plus. They're the safest bet by a mile.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

BUT they're the least likely to make a Gamera movie, let alone actually BUY the character.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:42 am BUT they're the least likely to make a Gamera movie, let alone actually BUY the character.
I wouldn't say ANY studio listed here would likely want to buy Gamera at the moment. :lol:

That's why I say it's better if he comes back in a reboot by Kadokawa first. After that, if that succeeds, more Hollywood studios would be interested in him; especially if the MonsterVerse keeps going and they want an answer to it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Oh skreeonk no.

I would rather Gamera stay in the obscure state its in then EVER being bought out by Disney. Keep their dirty hands off of him especially since anything they touch they destroy like they did with Star Wars.

Skreeonk Disney.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:55 pm Keep their dirty hands off of him especially since anything they touch they destroy like they did with Star Wars.
One screw up out of.. like, a good thousand other properties that are still being relatively well taken care of and make money?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 pmOne screw up out of.. like, a good thousand other properties that are still being relatively well taken care of and make money?
Disney nowadays especially has to add woke agenda and politics into their films what they've been doing with the modern MCU films especially. They'll also be ruining Predator and Alien even further as we know it.

Still don't want Disney touching Gamera.

Give me Warner Bros., Universal, Sony Animation (As long as writers and producers of Into the Spider-Verse and TMvM are involved), Laika Studios or Ghibi Studios anyday.

Added in 11 minutes 7 seconds:
Hell I don't even consider the modern Disney films to be as good as they once were. Good still yes but nowhere as they were in the golden age, 90s and early 2000s. That goes for Pixar as well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:59 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 pmOne screw up out of.. like, a good thousand other properties that are still being relatively well taken care of and make money?
Disney nowadays especially has to add woke agenda and politics into their films
Why are we still using "woke" in an unironic way?

Besides, let's not act like Warner or Universal HAVEN'T made dumb and money milking when it came to their brand, like how Warner tried covering up the problems that Justice League had behind the scenes by faking a Frosty the Snowman movie, among every other DCEU f*ckup. Or how Universal pretty much milked the Fast and Furious and Jurassic Park franchises until they became husk.. OH, and how they seem to be behind DreamWork's decline for the last couple years which they're just now starting to get out of.

I don't get why so many people say Disney's the evilest company on Earth when they're really no different from most big business companies out there. Separate the artist from their art and move on like everyone else does for other companies and move on. :shrug:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Still rather it not be Disney. That's my final say.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:15 pm Still rather it not be Disney. That's my final say.
Good. Don't post any more about this topic if you're going to make it clear how you REALLY feel by bringing up "woke agendas and politics". I'm sick of seeing this crap on my social media and I don't need to see it here.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's practically spam at this point. Let's shift the conversation, please.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Maritonic wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:47 am It's practically spam at this point. Let's shift the conversation, please.
The question is to what? There really is no conversation to be had. No American company is ever going to buy Gamera.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:53 am
Maritonic wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:47 am It's practically spam at this point. Let's shift the conversation, please.
The question is to what? There really is no conversation to be had. No American company is ever going to buy Gamera.
I mean. I can gladly lock the chat. I'm sure there's discussion to be had about what each company could do with property.
Last edited by Maritonic on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.