Who Was Gamera’s Toughest Foe in the Showa Era?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

Toughest Showa Foe?

Barugon
24%
Gyaos
24%
Viras
5%
Guiron
19%
Jiger
29%
Zigra
No votes

Total votes: 21

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Who Was Gamera’s Toughest Foe in the Showa Era?

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Since both the overall version and the Heisei version of this question would have the very obvious answer of Legion, figured narrowing it down to Showa would be the best option to have an actual poll here.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Who Was Gamera’s Toughest Foe in the Showa Era?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm that's kinda tough. I sorta thought of who handed him the most defeats. I feel like Gyaos is the best answer since there are points where the guy is really trying his damnest to beat him. Take the part where he's got him by the foot and enduring blasts to his head. Guiron isn't a slouch either and I always got the impression Gamera was stronger than Jiger all her nasty tricks gave her an edge. But that larvae inside of him was vicious.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Thing with Jiger is that, as soon as Gamera had all her attacks figured out he was able to beat her pretty quickly.

Gonna give it to Gyaos.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Guiron gets my vote. If the actual Gyaos faced off against him, he’d end up the same way s his Space counterpart.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Barugon and Guiron by far. The only reasons he won against Barugon is because they were fighting near water. Once the fight reached the water, that's when the tides (no pun intended) really changed into his favor. Guiron also had him beat all around if it wasn't for the kids launching a missile, giving Gamera and actual explosive to destroy him since he had no means to actually do it on his own.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gamera has Guiron's head embedded in the ground and completely helpless before the kids launched that missile. Gamera could have just walked away and left Guiron like that.

As for Barugon, he really had no way to actually KILL Gamera, while Gyaos is capable of slicing him apart with his ray. Gyaos is also fast, bloodthirsty and can fly. Once you figure out Barugon's weapons and attack patterns I'd imagine he'd be easy to kill for Gamera even if he wasn't around water. Gamera had his teeth deep inside Barugons throat already. He wasn't coming back from that. Water or not.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I vote Jiger. Jiger has a multitude of weapons, and knows exactly when and how to use them. Jiger had Gamera beat twice, and would have won if not for those meddling kids and their sub. Jiger is also quite durable, being dropped from a great height and appearing to be unhurt. Even with her tail spike damaged and Gamera's ear plugs, Jiger still put up a fight, and had to be stabbed in the head to be put down.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Viras stabbed Gamera in the stomach.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Going with Guiron. He always had Gamera on the ropes whenever they fought and outright cracked his shell.
Resized Image

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 pm I vote Jiger. Jiger has a multitude of weapons, and knows exactly when and how to use them. Jiger had Gamera beat twice, and would have won if not for those meddling kids and their sub. Jiger is also quite durable, being dropped from a great height and appearing to be unhurt. Even with her tail spike damaged and Gamera's ear plugs, Jiger still put up a fight, and had to be stabbed in the head to be put down.
Yeah, I agree. Other monsters defeated him, but it was a question of him needing time to recover (or thaw out) and step back in the ring. With Jiger, he completely needed human intervention in order to not die and get back in the ring. That's my take, at least.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 pm I vote Jiger. Jiger has a multitude of weapons, and knows exactly when and how to use them. Jiger had Gamera beat twice, and would have won if not for those meddling kids and their sub. Jiger is also quite durable, being dropped from a great height and appearing to be unhurt. Even with her tail spike damaged and Gamera's ear plugs, Jiger still put up a fight, and had to be stabbed in the head to be put down.
I concur, amongst those that nearly had him (Viras with his head and Barugon with his frost breath) Jiger was the closest just as this user here said. That and having nearly beaten him twice plus needing help to recover (something that hadn't happened before Jiger) makes Jiger the biggest challenge.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Going Barugon here.
For Emperor and Empire!