Scrapped Gamera Monsters Discussion

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Scrapped Gamera Monsters Discussion

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Even if the list of scrapped Gamera monsters isn’t as big as the Godzilla one, there’s still a good few. Garasharp (who apparently isn’t actually technically scrapped because Gamera vs Garasharp is a short film, but I’m lumping her into the category anyway), Marukobukarappa, Monga, W, the list goes on.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Scrapped Gamera Monsters Discussion

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I really like Murokobukarappa. The other ones are cool but he's got a unique shwag to him.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

As stated in other threads, when Daiei was trying to get the Gamera franchise marketed to international audiences, they would have production pamphlets often with substitute or placeholder movie titles, and monster names. Even though no image exists of Leoman (even if it eventually became Zigra). I just like the name, if for no other reason than it actually made it into a couple english publications back in the early 70's. There aren't enough Mammalian Kaiju. Whereas Godzilla had King Caesar (a Stone Lion/Dog), and There have been a few in other Toku franchises, another Lion-Like creature would make a cool Gamera enemy.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maruko has a strange design, but it fits in well with the Showa Gamera aesthetic. It would be interesting to see how a creature like that would fight.

Monga would have provided a fur covered kaiju for the Gamera films, but I can see why they went with Space Gyaos. It's cheaper painting a suit a new color. However, Daiei's take on Varan would have been nice to see.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

Always down for more mammalian kaiju so I'm not against giving Monga another shot, but W however just feels like they would've been a bargain bin version of Ghidorah, so something really unique would have to be done if they were brought back

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Evil, or at least more extreme Gamera that was intended, talked about for the third entry to Heisei/Kaneko Trilogy. At the end of G2 with the amulet linking Asagi to Gamera shattering right after his revival. It was hinted the Guardian of Universe at the flick's end that Gamera could possibly turn humanity if they continued to do damage to the environment. It was talked about in interviews with Shuseke Kaneko that the future Revenge of Irys that Gamera was looking to take a face turn, and indeed wage war on humanity. It was briefly later talked about Gamera would be still be staying on the heroic side of things. But instead another Gamera, one without any love of humanity and their works, would be Gamera's foe for G3 . As we saw at the beginning of the third film ,and its Gamera Graveyard discovered. I always thought this was a leftover idea for Gamera taking on another his kind. Perhaps the Beta version of the Guardian of the Universe created before the Atlantean perfected their creation. Likewise the Nightmare Gamera that appeared in Anya's nightmare version of her parents deaths I would also think was a design originally intended for Gamera's mirror foe.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The One and Only wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:41 pm Evil, or at least more extreme Gamera that was intended, talked about for the third entry to Heisei/Kaneko Trilogy. At the end of G2 with the amulet linking Asagi to Gamera shattering right after his revival. It was hinted the Guardian of Universe at the flick's end that Gamera could possibly turn humanity if they continued to do damage to the environment. It was talked about in interviews with Shuseke Kaneko that the future Revenge of Irys that Gamera was looking to take a face turn, and indeed wage war on humanity. It was briefly later talked about Gamera would be still be staying on the heroic side of things. But instead another Gamera, one without any love of humanity and their works, would be Gamera's foe for G3 . As we saw at the beginning of the third film ,and its Gamera Graveyard discovered. I always thought this was a leftover idea for Gamera taking on another his kind. Perhaps the Beta version of the Guardian of the Universe created before the Atlantean perfected their creation. Likewise the Nightmare Gamera that appeared in Anya's nightmare version of her parents deaths I would also think was a design originally intended for Gamera's mirror foe.
Potentially Gamera's own equivalent to MechaGodzilla.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:24 pmPotentially Gamera's own equivalent to MechaGodzilla.
More like SpaceGodzilla if anything.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Irys is cool and all but I would've muche preferred Evil/Trauma Gamera be the villain.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

That would have been pretty crazy. Could really expand upon the whole Atlantis story as well.

The One and Only
Futurian

The Ice Giant from the originally planned sequel to GAMERA THE INVINCIBLE entitled , Gamera Vs. The Ice Men From Outer Space(https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Gamer_ ... uter_Space). Basically the film was to be about Earth under assault by a group of aliens who planned to conquer the Earth by driving humanity underground by setting off volcanos around the world to create an ash cloud to cover the world. Cutting off the surface from the sun, and inducing a nuclear winter. The aliens being made of organic ice with their skeletons and organs visible, the frozen Earth being a viable replacement for their homeworld. But humanity fights back, and along with Gamera. Who's rocket ship is hit by a meteor,and returns to Earth. With Gamera joining the fight against the Ice Men, the aliens counter attack Gamera with their own kaiju sized Ice Giant.
Would've been interesting to see Gamera but heads with a humanoid opponent. Anywho, this flick ended up becoming GAMERA Vs. BARUGON with Gamera facing a foe with freezing powers.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The One and Only wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:43 pm The Ice Giant from the originally planned sequel to GAMERA THE INVINCIBLE entitled , Gamera Vs. The Ice Men From Outer Space(https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Gamer_ ... uter_Space). Basically the film was to be about Earth under assault by a group of aliens who planned to conquer the Earth by driving humanity underground by setting off volcanos around the world to create an ash cloud to cover the world. Cutting off the surface from the sun, and inducing a nuclear winter. The aliens being made of organic ice with their skeletons and organs visible, the frozen Earth being a viable replacement for their homeworld. But humanity fights back, and along with Gamera. Who's rocket ship is hit by a meteor,and returns to Earth. With Gamera joining the fight against the Ice Men, the aliens counter attack Gamera with their own kaiju sized Ice Giant.
Would've been interesting to see Gamera but heads with a humanoid opponent. Anywho, this flick ended up becoming GAMERA Vs. BARUGON with Gamera facing a foe with freezing powers.
If anyone wants to make a new Gamera film, they should salvage this character from the cutting room floor.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like the fire vs ice dynamic of that idea. Film makers shouldn't leave this plot out in the cold.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I love Iris, so i'm glad we got him. An evil Gamera sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure how they would pull it off.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Heisei Gamera is an engineered kaiju, so it's possible he wasn't the first Gamera model. The first version proved problematic, and the second Gamera fixed all those problems and created the guardian they needed. The flock of Gyaos across the world cause the first Gamera to wake from its prison, and whether jealous, angry, or whatever, it seeks to destroy what it views as the weaker version.

The One and Only
Futurian

Along with the scrapped idea for an evil Gamera for the Heisei Era's third entry for the franchise. There was some scuttlebutt that I had read that Gamera was to also fight a sea monster as well. Maybe its awakening, appearance was to coincide with Nightmare Gamera's awakening, or the discovery of the Gamera Graveyard. Supposedly, Irys, Gamera's antagonist in The Revenge of Irys, was originally conceived as a sea monster. And from his appearance, Irys does look a bit like something that lives in the sea.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:30 pm I like the fire vs ice dynamic of that idea. Film makers shouldn't leave this plot out in the cold.
I see what you did there.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Who the crap is W?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Click on it and find out.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I don’t know if this is a scrap monster or not but I think it shows some promise and it was shown in the 2015 teaser Image