Best Gamera Enemy?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

Who Is the Best?

Barugon
14%
Gyaos (Showa)
9%
Viras
5%
Guiron
7%
Jiger
2%
Zigra
2%
Gyaos (Heisei)
20%
Legion
23%
Iris
14%
Zedus
5%

Total votes: 44

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Best Gamera Enemy?

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Let’s start the new sub-forum off right. Who’s the best?

Personally, gotta go with Iris. Everything about Iris is nigh-perfect, both design and story-wise.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Best Gamera Enemy?

Post by Maritonic »

I absolutely adore Zigra and everything about him.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Barugon is my guy! Taste the rainbow!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I mean... of course it's Gyaos, simply by virtue of so many appearances.

Who is my favorite? Ah, now there's another question. Gyaos probably still edges out the win, but Guiron and Legion are close runners-up. Legion in particular is one of the all-time great practical effects accomplishments.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I voted for Legion because she's such an impressive and awesome monster but Viras has my "really close" vote. I love how goofy he is lol.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

There's a reason why the Heisei version of Gyaos was my avatar on here for nearly ten years. It's one of my favorite movie monsters ever!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Gyaos is the perfect foe for Gamera in so many ways, but between Showa and Heisei, I had to give it to Showa for starting it all, as well as for being particularly eerie in its own strange way.

Legion and Iris are two of the greatest kaiju designs ever, and Zedus was a great callback to the more traditional designs of yesteryear.

As for the rest of the Showa gang there's no clear ranking in my head, but I like all of them.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's Jiger for me. I like her design, and that she was the most difficult foe for Gamera to defeat.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Zedus is briliant.. but Iris is sheer perfection. Seriously might be one of the most unique kaiju ever.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion is my personal favorite because of the function she/they serve in a giant monster movie....having the 'swarm' aspect that creates interesting combat for Gamera as WELL as personal small-scale action and interaction for our human protagonists. You get some creatures for them to fight and interact with instead of just having to find ways to have them watch or somehow influence the giant monster action.

Plus it is a unique design with a lot of colorful attacks....and the battle between Legion and Gamera just feels like it is straight out of a shonen anime.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Heisei Gyaos is right up there as he just didn't give a vanilla sundae and was just tough. He ate people bruh, he ate them straight up gulped them down like a 7 eleven slurpee.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Old knifey-head himself, Guiron for the win!
His head is a giant knife and he controls shuriken/ninja throwing stars with his mind.
He's basically the monster 9 year old me would create, he's perfect!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

goji89 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:56 pm Heisei Gyaos is right up there as he just didn't give a vanilla sundae and was just tough. He ate people bruh, he ate them straight up gulped them down like a 7 eleven slurpee.
Showa didn't mess around either -

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I like pretty much all of them (Jiger and Zigra are probably my least favorites), but I picked Legion. Not only is the Mother Legion incredibly cool, but I'll always be impressed by the way the entire crew pulled off the plausible-yet-alien life cycle demanded by the screenplay.

I do think it's hard to go wrong with any of the trilogy's monsters, though. And some of the Showa monsters are really underappreciated, too -- Showa Gyaos is awesome.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

When it comes down to plot? Probably Iris.

But sheer preference? Zedus, easily. He’s got a cool as hell spear tongue, a sharp and wicked design, and honestly I love frilled lizards and think a kaiju based on them is pretty sick. (Yes I know Jirass exists, but Zedus is cooler. Hush.)
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Legion followed very closely by Gyaos. Legion is the perfect villain for Gamera and a very scary one at that. Basically how a competent director would do something like Ghidorah. Legion could give most Godzillas a run for their money at that much less Gamera. I think the species has the perfect balance of mystery and explanation. We know what Legion does. Terraforms planets to their liking. We don't need to know much more beyond that and we don't. I love how absolutely alien they are. Whether it is physiological or the sounds they make. Legion needs to return as much as Gamera at some point. We know the Legion that visited Earth can't be the only ones out there...

I say Gyaos second because Gyaos is to Gamera what Ghidorah is to Godzilla. A villain that has appeared more times than any other by a long shot. Gyaos is also one scary monster. Especially since it drinks blood in the Showa series. Like a demonic vampire kaiju. The Heisei Gyaos is still scary because of the genetically engineered nature and outright capability of destroying the planet. That deathly screech and sonic beam are classic. In fact the whole rogue's gallery of Gamera villains are pretty cool. Honorable mentions to Jiger and Guiron for their unique characteristics.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

I've always kind of liked the design and attitude of Gyaos - particular the Showa era one.

But let's face it Guiron is just super fun as well.

- Michael

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Barugon for sure. He has my favorite design of any Gamera monster. It's the only showa movie without a monster child. Even as a small child myself, I always gravitated to cartoons and movies that may have been made for kids however...without small kids in them. The whole "a character for me to identify with" is something I've never understood.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gotta go with my homeboy Barugon!
For Emperor and Empire!

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I can't believe I forgot Barugon! I definitely want to give him an honorable mention. Despite arguably being Gamera's most deadly Showa opponent, maybe only matched by Jiger, and looking all cute and cuddly that is one mean monster! His little spider sense ability is cool and his devastating rainbow and frost beams could challenge some Heisei kaiju. Not to mention the sinister sounding whipping screech it has for a roar! Barugon is a kaiju that begs to be seen again if Gamera ever comes back.