How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Since the release of GvK, there been a lot of discussion about how the our famous flying turtle fit in the monsterverse, I made a thread about this topic so we can discuss it here

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The following 3.

1. Ancient bio-weapon like in the Heisei Trilogy.

2. An alien titan with the same motive as Godzilla but through various planets across the cosmos giving him the title "Guardian of the Universe".

3. Simply a natural titan like Godzilla, Kong, Rodan, Mothra, etc. only put a spin on the proto-Gamera's as revealed in Gamera 3 that Gamera's species were specifically bred by said ancient civilization as domestic animals were.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 am
2. An alien titan with the same motive as Godzilla but through various planets across the cosmos giving him the title "Guardian of the Universe".
I like this idea the most since it give more imagination about what strange kajiu look like in space, good example is King Ghidorah, a golden three headed dragon that shoot lighting

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 am The following 3.

1. Ancient bio-weapon like in the Heisei Trilogy.

3. Simply a natural titan like Godzilla, Kong, Rodan, Mothra, etc. only put a spin on the proto-Gamera's as revealed in Gamera 3 that Gamera's species were specifically bred by said ancient civilization as domestic animals were.
Roll credits.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

None, there is no way this could or can happen.

Gamera would need to be introduced in it's own solo monsterverse movie outing then have tie ins from the last films then have him fight Godzilla, he deserves that much instead of just being introduced in a Godzilla 3 movie as a side character.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm None, there is no way this could or can happen.

Gamera would need to be introduced in it's own solo monsterverse movie outing then have tie ins from the last films then have him fight Godzilla, he deserves that much instead of just being introduced in a Godzilla 3 movie as a side character.
While I agree that he should be introduced in his own solo movie, I think we can all agree that that is unlikely thus if he gets included at all it'll be as a side character in either Godzilla 3 or Kong 2. There's no real reason why it couldn't or can't happen, probably all that's really needed is cutting a deal with Kadokawa.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:51 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm None, there is no way this could or can happen.

While I agree that he should be introduced in his own solo movie, I think we can all agree that that is unlikely thus if he gets included at all it'll be as a side character in either Godzilla 3 or Kong 2. There's no real reason why it couldn't or can't happen, probably all that's really needed is cutting a deal with Kadokawa.
Godzilla V Gamera is as big a fight as GvK to us fans. A dream match we never had and it deserves a great treatment. Anything half assed would suck.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:54 pm
Pkmatrix wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:51 pm

Godzilla V Gamera is as big a fight as GvK to us fans. A dream match we never had and it deserves a great treatment. Anything half assed would suck.
I think Gamera could absolutely carry a standalone Hollywood movie, and I'm sure if Kadokawa and Legendary got together to discuss it Kadokawa would push for one. I figure we're at best going to get one standalone movie for a kaiju outside Godzilla and Kong (if one at all, IMO the most likely scenario is Kong 2, Godzilla 3, then second crossover), and I'd happily give that movie to Gamera if Legendary can swing it. :D

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I agree to this there need to be some introduction to general audience, I don’t think he that popular beyond the kaiju community.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have another question : How will they execute the whole child angle? I think they should take notes from Stranger Things.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:48 pm I have another question : How will they execute the whole child angle? I think they should take notes from Stranger Things.
They shouldn’t do the friend to all children stuff, it would be too much for General audiences

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Ok there also need to be a reason that Gamera appears in the monsterverse so here my idea for this, Caution this may take Gamera in a different direction like his origin story,

The year was 2019 on one of Jupiter’s moon Ganymede, a bat like creatures name Gyaos are growing in numbers but due to their ears evolve enough to hear noise from the vacuum of space, they all hear a familiar sound, like a rocket coming closer, The weak and nimble quickly spread their wings and fly their way in space while the large and strong ones stay and distract the grand turtle, sacrificing themselves for the greater causes for their species, the old and wise white alphas guide the survivors to a safer area where the ones that stayed were being slaughtered by the beast. They flew far until they heard a unfamiliar call from a three headed beast telling them to come and hunt together. The pupil of the white alphas went from a wide to a slits and guide and rest to a different direction, to a planet that has nutrients that can help restore their population and evolve to defeat the beast that followed and hunted their species down they called Gamera
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

If they introduce Gamera, Should he be portrayed as Godzilla's equal, or weaker?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah if they bring in Gamera...are we ready to see a similar format to GvK?
Gamera the underdog again like in Showa but with Heisei fireballs?
Again I'd want an organic conflict.
Maybe to try to keep it from being a complete retread of GvK keep the team up for another movie?

But I kinda want Gamera to be new or unknown to either monsters or humans. Enough with the 'ancient enemies.'
Muto are more the animal enemies of Godzilla.
King Ghidorah a personal foe for this Godzilla.
King Kong never met Godzilla before and vice versa but their races have a rivalry.

Monarch: Ah yeah...we got nothing on this flying turtle.

Oh that's be pretty sweet if Gamera did the plasma fist but with Godzilla's breathe weapon! So much for not retrending GvK.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I don't want to see Gamera in the Monsterverse.

IF Gamera gets an American made film, i would like it to be its own original world.

The idea of Gamera existing in the same universe as Godzilla without Toho themselves doing it in a japanese film rubs me the wrong way.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:38 am I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I don't want to see Gamera in the Monsterverse.

IF Gamera gets an American made film, i would like it to be its own original world.

The idea of Gamera existing in the same universe as Godzilla without Toho themselves doing it in a japanese film rubs me the wrong way.
That fine everyone has different opinions

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'd personally say Guardians style he should bring the light heartedness and have an abundance of personality to contrast Godzilla stoic protector nature.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Cool as it would be to see Gamera in the Monsterverse it'd have to depend on if his parent company will allow/want it to happen along with Toho being ok with having one of Godzilla's famous movie rivals being alongside their main star. Maybe it can happen seeing as how GvK's becoming a major hit worldwide but still I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

As for how I'd have him fit in the Monsterverse. Likely have him be an ancient bio weapon built by the ancient humans to combat and protect against Titans which angers ones like Godzilla for trying to play god thus setting up tensions between the two. Gamera himself will be similar to both Kong and Mothra for wanting to see the human's best interest at heart.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Shadd21 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm If they introduce Gamera, Should he be portrayed as Godzilla's equal, or weaker?
I say equal.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I think a Hollywood produced Gamera movie could potentially work. Yes, Gamera is an even more niche property than Godzilla has historically been, but if Marvel managed to make a big name out of the Guardians of the Galaxy, I don’t think it’s impossible to make Gamera work. The movie would probably need to go for more of a wacky tone, though.

As for how he’d fit into the MonsterVerse, I guess they could just make him an alien
Last edited by Garzon on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.