How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cookson
Futurian

Re: How would Gamera fit into the Monsterverse

Post by Cookson »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:29 pm I think that maybe Gamera would work better in his own Solo Hollywood franchise separate from the Monsterverse and done by a different studio.
I know I’ll get hammered for this but Disney and Gamera would gel pretty good IMO. They can be serious but fun films ala the mcu.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:02 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:29 pm I think that maybe Gamera would work better in his own Solo Hollywood franchise separate from the Monsterverse and done by a different studio.
I know I’ll get hammered for this but Disney and Gamera would gel pretty good IMO. They can be serious but fun films ala the mcu.
I am thinking that maybe Universal should do it, directed by Guillermo Del Toro.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:02 pm I know I’ll get hammered for this but Disney and Gamera would gel pretty good IMO. They can be serious but fun films ala the mcu.
If we get a big Disney director like Jon Faverau to do it, i could see it working tbh. At the same time though, Universal could give us a darker but also pretty fun film ala Jurassic World, and i'd even say some of Paramount and Sony's action flicks could make a good American Gamera movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Honestly, he shouldn't. Let him do his own thing in his own series of films separate from the MonsterVerse please.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Film opened up with Godzilla blowing a whole in the Hollow Earth and the fresh air breathing new life into Gayos.

Gayos would come to the surface from the Hollow Earth and Gamera would be right behind them.

Godzilla understands Gamera's job is to kill off the Gyaos which is why he doesn't appear. Conflict between the two can be made in a film later.

Kong doesn't get involved because he is in the Hollow Earth.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

To amend my earlier plot.

The movie starts with Godzilla blowing a hole in the Hollow Earth and the fresh air from the surface world causing eggs to begin hatching.

We then go back to 2012 two children named Asagi and Kenny(placeholder) find a baby Turtle who they raise. Asagi accidentally bonds with the turtle when she picks up a necklace that next to him. The turtle now sees Asagi as a mother figure and Kenny in a way like a Father, for the next two years the children raise the turtle in secrete. By 2014 two things happen. The Battle in San Francisco as well as the turtle who Asagi knows as Gamera due to their connection Kenny however jokes and calls Gamera Toto. Gamera is about 10-15 meters in size at this point and he is spotted. Monarch so appears and Asagi and Kenny get Gamera leave in fear he will be killed or captured.

We jump to modern time.

People have been reported missing and evidence murder is soon discovered. Asagi now and grown woman and married to Kenny with a young child of their own still live in their old town where they met Gamera all those years ago. Asagi is now an Ornithologist and Kenny is a monarch agent, his relationship with Gamera causing him to want to know more about Titans. The husband and wife's work crosses when Gyaos is discovered to be the cause of the mysterious deaths. 10 30 meter Gyaos soon appear attacking the small coastal town but this is when Gamera returns having never truly left his home but having gone into hibernation. Gamera is able to save many lives and makes quick work of the Gyaos leaving only 3 behind. Gamera is however cut on his hand and Asagi begins bleeding as well.

Through Monarch we learn that Gyaos escaped from the Hollow Earth and reveal that they move around so frequently even Godzilla is unable to catch them long enough to kill them. Gyaos create nets so quickly that by the time Godzilla has destroyed one nest the parents have moved on and planted another. The fear being that the Gyaos could overwhelmed even Godzilla.

Kenny having found ancient text and help from Asagi reveals that Gyaos and Gamera are artificial Titans and even compares them to the Olympians as they are in a way next-gen Titans, The Gyaos are even able to change their sex in order reproduce both sexually and asexually. Gamera was created to stop the Gyaos and only a descendant from the civilization can unite with Gamera to stop Gyaos.

A midair battle shows the Gyaos are now 80 meters in height however the 350 feet Gamera is still more than a match for them, Gamera however being injured, injures Asagi and Gamera knowing the pain his Mother is in holds back and two Gyaos not only escape they are able to wound Gamera. Gamera then enters into a healing Coma.

Gyaos then grown to a whopping 400 feet in Height slightly bigger than Godzilla and create a nest in the coastal town. Gyaos knowing that Gamera's human heart lives there is thus he will not challenge them.

Gamera however does appear and struggles with the two Gyaos but is able to defeat both of them as well as destroying the next and ending the Gyaos at least for now. Gamera returns to the sea and the film ends.

Mid credits scene: A Young girl is shown crying in the forest all alone, she eventually comes across a small egg with a necklace similar to what Asagi found. She tell the egg she will protect it and her name is Ayana.

post credit scene: A Gyaos nest is set ablaze and we see Godzilla who roars angrily into the world.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I still think "how would he fit" isn't as good a question as "why should he?" No one's answered that yet.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 pm I still think "how would he fit" isn't as good a question as "why should he?" No one's answered that yet.
Because it's cool. That has been the only reason for crossovers since the dawn of crossovers.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 pm I still think "how would he fit" isn't as good a question as "why should he?" No one's answered that yet.
Because it's cool. That has been the only reason for crossovers since the dawn of crossovers.
Are they cool though? I think they feel cool when you're young and imagining it and everything. But then after you get it, turns out crossovers aren't all that. I always wanted a new and modern King Kong versus Godzilla movie, and holy freaking hell was that a gods be damned monkey paw for me. Hated that eventual crossover more than any film I've ever seen. Always wanted a big screen team up of Batman and Superman, two of my favorite superheroes ever - that just freaking blew. I used to be hyped to see Spider-Man interacting with all the other Marvel heroes in the MCU, but frankly MCU Spidey is now my least liked of all Spider-Man takes, I'm just not a fan of the MCU Spider-Man films, and I like the MCU.

Crossovers aren't cool. Sure, there are cool crossovers, check out Batman vs The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated movie, or the rest of the MCU. But those aren't cool because they're crossovers, they're cool because they're just well done movies. I'm over the crossover mania, I've been burned enough that "crossovers" are just a worrying gimmick, that too many creatives think can magically smooth over crappy movie making.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Crossovers aren't inherently "cool" or "uncool". It's all about execution, just like anything else.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 pm
Are they cool though? I think they feel cool when you're young and imagining it and everything. But then after you get it, turns out crossovers aren't all that. I always wanted a new and modern King Kong versus Godzilla movie, and holy freaking hell was that a gods be damned monkey paw for me. Hated that eventual crossover more than any film I've ever seen. Always wanted a big screen team up of Batman and Superman, two of my favorite superheroes ever - that just freaking blew. I used to be hyped to see Spider-Man interacting with all the other Marvel heroes in the MCU, but frankly MCU Spidey is now my least liked of all Spider-Man takes, I'm just not a fan of the MCU Spider-Man films, and I like the MCU.

Crossovers aren't cool. Sure, there are cool crossovers, check out Batman vs The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated movie, or the rest of the MCU. But those aren't cool because they're crossovers, they're cool because they're just well done movies. I'm over the crossover mania, I've been burned enough that "crossovers" are just a worrying gimmick, that too many creatives think can magically smooth over crappy movie making.
Cool and well done are too different things. You yourself admitted that the idea of King Kong fighting Godzilla was cool but the execution itself was a turn off for you, the same with MCU Spiderman.
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:31 pm Crossovers aren't inherently "cool" or "uncool". It's all about execution, just like anything else.
Crossover usually generate higher box office and excitement with fans becasue it comes down to your guy vs my guy scenarios. The execution is a total different scenario and is different from the cool factor. I'm sure a lot of us would be excited if Anno revealed tomorrow Shin Godzilla plays some kind of role in Shin Ultraman but the execution wouldn't necessarily be good just because the idea seemed cool to unite his work in that way.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:26 am
Vakanai wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 pm

Cool and well done are too different things. You yourself admitted that the idea of King Kong fighting Godzilla was cool but the execution itself was a turn off for you, the same with MCU Spiderman.
I myself admitted there was a time I thought it was cool, that's different than it actually being cool. I have changed my mind over times. I view crossovers as gimmicky and chintzy now.
Last edited by Vakanai on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Since we already have Atlantis after "King of the Monsters" (I think it was Atlantis, I don't remember clearly) we could work from there. They were partner kaiju going in different directions as Godzilla would control the Titans while Gamera would be lost to time. Then he reappears as a kaiju lost in the world before clashing with Godzilla after sensing a new Titan to topple the way he did Kong.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

This is probably the best place for this.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I rely liked this concept trailer on how a Monsterverse Gamera could look.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:46 pm

Is it the 2015 "trailer"? I ask cause I got a error occurred message when I hit played so just want to make sure it's a video I've seen before or if I'm missing something new.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:22 am

Is it the 2015 "trailer"? I ask cause I got a error occurred message when I hit played so just want to make sure it's a video I've seen before or if I'm missing something new.
It uses the 2015 Gamera as Gamera and a couple shots but it's several different movie clips put together. I liked it as a fan concept trailer.

Added in 34 seconds:
https://youtu.be/H7RDL24_2e8

Another link.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:10 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:22 am

It uses the 2015 Gamera as Gamera and a couple shots but it's several different movie clips put together. I liked it as a fan concept trailer.

Added in 34 seconds:
https://youtu.be/H7RDL24_2e8

Another link.
Link works, thanks! Don't want to critique too much, I'm sure they put a lot of work into it, but some of the clips they picked seemed random. A lot of spacecraft and monsters and other things that don't quite seem like they'd form a cohesive whole, but I haven't see a lot of these fan trailers so can't say if that's just a thing that's needed to pad out the length of a trailer.