Favorite Gyaos

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What is your favorite Gyaos?

Showa
20%
Space
9%
Heisei
36%
Super
5%
Hyper
16%
Original Gyaos (GtB)
7%
Gyaos 2015
7%

Total votes: 44

Voyager
Keizer

Favorite Gyaos

Post by Voyager »

I have a lot of Nostalgia for Gamera vs Gyaos so i gotta pick Showa.
Last edited by Voyager on Wed May 13, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Favorite Gyaos

Post by Spuro »

Heisei, Super and Hyper Gyaos are essentially the same creature. I voted "Heisei" but know that that's technically a vote for all three.

Also you left out the ones from Gamera: The Brave (though I doubt many will choose them).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like all of them to be honest - Showa is classic and Heisei a phenomenal update cementing its status as Gamera's archenemy. The designs for Gamera the Brave and the 2015 short aren't too shabby either.
Last edited by tbeasley on Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Voted Heisei for being the more menacing antagonist, but Showa gets brownie points for being a campy villain with his nipple gas of doom.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Also you left out the ones from Gamera: The Brave (though I doubt many will choose them).
The "Original Gyaos" from Gamera: The Brave would've gotten my vote, I like that design a lot. They're like blue Ridleys from Metroid.

Given the lack of GtB Gyaos, voted for Space Gyaos. Always liked the silver color scheme.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Honestly, the 2015 Gyaos are my favorite. With their unique spiky backs and the fact that they've probably scored the most effective kill that I've ever seen in any kaiju media.

However, since they're not on the list, I'll have to go with Hyper Gyaos. They're my favorite Heisei design (even though I haven't seen any feature-length Gamera film)
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed May 13, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Sorry about forgetting Original Gyaos from GtB and 2015 Gyaos!
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The heck is Super and Hyper Gyaos?
For me - Heisei, 2015, GtB all kind of tie.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote:The heck is Super and Hyper Gyaos?
Super Gyaos is the Gamera-sized version from GOTU. Hyper Gyaos is the further evolved form that turns up in G3.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Sorry about forgetting Original Gyaos from GtB and 2015 Gyaos!
Y'know, you can just go back and edit the poll and add them in, and then change it so that people can change their vote.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
Super Gyaos is the Gamera-sized version from GOTU. Hyper Gyaos is the further evolved form that turns up in G3.
You mean Iris? Or just the huge flock of Gyaos at the end? Haven't seen G3 in years, didn't like it as much as the other two.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I just changed the poll, so you guys now have the option to vote for EVERY Gyaos now.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
You mean Iris? Or just the huge flock of Gyaos at the end? Haven't seen G3 in years, didn't like it as much as the other two.
The Hyper Gyaos are the evolved form of Gyaos seen throughout G3, from the Philippine jungle to the Shibuya attack to the swarm converging on Kyoto at the end.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Hows about the Albino Gyaos from Gamera 4?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The Neo Gyaos from Gamera 2000.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
The Hyper Gyaos are the evolved form of Gyaos seen throughout G3, from the Philippine jungle to the Shibuya attack to the swarm converging on Kyoto at the end.
I honestly never noticed that those Gyaos were any different than the ones from the first film.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote: You mean Iris? Or just the huge flock of Gyaos at the end? Haven't seen G3 in years, didn't like it as much as the other two.
I honestly never noticed that those Gyaos were any different than the ones from the first film.
As I said, the Heisei Gyaos variations should be treated as the same creature, even if they gain slight differences in design.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu May 14, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the distinction between the "regular" Gyaos and Super Gyaos is mostly unnecessary and may only be related to the fact that Super Gyaos was played by a suit actor while the smaller Gyaos were not. That said, in the world of the film, Super Gyaos develops special eyelids that allow it to be active during daytime and grows many times its original size. It's different enough from its initial form that it could arguably be considered a different version of the character.

But Hyper Gyaos is definitely described as a further mutation. A fellow researcher leaves a message on Nagamine's answering machine saying, "The samples you sent last week are different enough from our Gyaos that they could be a subspecies. A local variation, maybe?"
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Gotta go with Hyper Gyaos. There are some really great shots in G3 that bring out some interesting reds in him. Kind of strange because my only hyper Gyaos figure is painted a silvery blue color.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Hows about the Albino Gyaos from Gamera 4?
That's unofficial so does it really count?