What would Shin Gamera be?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
goji89
Sazer

Re: What would Shin Gamera be?

Post by goji89 »

I want a damn movie damn it :mad: .

And can we please have a Gamera emoji too.

Gamera emoji
Gamera emoji
Gamera emoji

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tbeasley wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:46 pm I think in a way Heisei Gamera was "Shin Gamera."
Couldn't agree more.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I've said it before, heck in this very thread, that the 90's trilogy is most definitely NOT Shin Gamera - but I think another poster might've hit the nail on the head when they said Gamera The Brave WAS Shin Gamera. Either way, I don't really care, I'd just like another Gamera movie already. Call it Shin don't call it Shin whatever just put that fire breathing turtle in a new picture and send it my way already. Godzilla's got Shin, Monsterverse, anime trilogy, Singular Point anime series. Ultraman has tv shows, Netflix anime, Shin movie. Kamen Rider maybe shows definitely a Shin movie. Gamera has...a proof of concept trailer that's like 7 years old already. Heck, if we took away Shin, Monsterverse, and both anime appearances from Godzilla he'd still have more screen time in the last decade than Gamera has, what with all those shorts and commercials and rides.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:49 pm
goji89 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm I've said it elsewhere, and went into reasons why there, so I'm just going to reiterate - I disagree with the Heisei movies being "Shin" Gamera.

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:

Disagree - Shin Godzilla is one of my favorite movies, Shin Ultraman looks like it'll be pretty cool, and the art for Shin Kamen Rider is neat. I don't think Shin Gamera would be a mistake, I think leaving Gamera in limbo is the mistake.
Well, you got me there not gonna lie. Leaving Gamera in limbo is the biggest mistake coming out of Japan right now.
*In before someone comes in with the history of Japan and shyt*
Movie movie wise.
At most, we'll probably see a Gamera Pachinko Machine and a Gamera teacup ride at a carnival somewhere in Japan.
Man, this is such a depressing thought.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm on the bandwagon that considers the Heisei trilogy to be essentially Shin Gamera. But still, Gamera deserves another shot on the big screen.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ya'll realize that the purpose of Anno's "Shin" creations is to fully embrace the original idea behind the character while merging it with modern spectacle? This is why Shin Godzilla is a rather horrific entity representing modern issues of Japan and Ultraman is based off the original ideas/designs. Heisei Gamera completely ditches EVERYTHING that made Showa Gamera... Gamera... in favor of a brooding, 1990's edgy vibe.

Heisei Gamera is fine and all. But in no way is it "Shin Gamera." That same logic can be used to say a movie like GMK and G85 are true "Shin" films (though, I do find 85 better than Shin).

Shin Gamera would have to be more akin to Gamera the Brave, with further embracing the character's child friendly roots, crazy imagination and returning his iconic roar.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:13 pm Ya'll realize that the purpose of Anno's "Shin" creations is to fully embrace the original idea behind the character while merging it with modern spectacle? This is why Shin Godzilla is a rather horrific entity representing modern issues of Japan and Ultraman is based off the original ideas/designs. Heisei Gamera completely ditches EVERYTHING that made Showa Gamera... Gamera... in favor of a brooding, 1990's edgy vibe.

Heisei Gamera is fine and all. But in no way is it "Shin Gamera." That same logic can be used to say a movie like GMK and G85 are true "Shin" films (though, I do find 85 better than Shin).

Shin Gamera would have to be more akin to Gamera the Brave, with further embracing the character's child friendly roots, crazy imagination and returning his iconic roar.
I agree with your overall analysis of the "Shin" trend, and certainly don't think that the Heisei flicks fit that mold at all, but in the case of Gamera, I don't think there's any clear enough original idea to return to. Gamera's friendliness with children became central to the characters identity over the course of the Showa films, but in the original it's just one part of an overall unfocused mess of a narrative/characterization.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

eabaker wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:25 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:13 pm Ya'll realize that the purpose of Anno's "Shin" creations is to fully embrace the original idea behind the character while merging it with modern spectacle? This is why Shin Godzilla is a rather horrific entity representing modern issues of Japan and Ultraman is based off the original ideas/designs. Heisei Gamera completely ditches EVERYTHING that made Showa Gamera... Gamera... in favor of a brooding, 1990's edgy vibe.

I agree with your overall analysis of the "Shin" trend, and certainly don't think that the Heisei flicks fit that mold at all, but in the case of Gamera, I don't think there's any clear enough original idea to return to. Gamera's friendliness with children became central to the characters identity over the course of the Showa films, but in the original it's just one part of an overall unfocused mess of a narrative/characterization.
You'd have to look deeper into the mind/views of Noriaki Yuasa, whom created Gamera. In the 90s, he did not like the Heisei trilogy at all, going as far to say "Made by fanboys, for fanboys" when describing the films and only ever giving props to the scene in G3 where Gamera protects the child from the Gyaos' beam with his hand.

In order for a Shin Gamera to be, well, a Shin Gamera, it'd have to be EVERYTHING the Heisei trilogy wasn't.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:44 pm
eabaker wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:25 pm

You'd have to look deeper into the mind/views of Noriaki Yuasa, whom created Gamera. In the 90s, he did not like the Heisei trilogy at all, going as far to say "Made by fanboys, for fanboys" when describing the films and only ever giving props to the scene in G3 where Gamera protects the child from the Gyaos' beam with his hand.

In order for a Shin Gamera to be, well, a Shin Gamera, it'd have to be EVERYTHING the Heisei trilogy wasn't.
I'm aware of Yuasa's feelings on the Heisei films, and already explicitly agreed with you that those movies don't represent any kind of return to the original conception of the character.

And Yuasa's views unquestionably shaped the way the character was defined in the Showa era, collectively, as he was very much the shepherd of the character.

But the original film was not an auteur work, and Yuasa did not single-handedly conceive/develop the first incarnation of the character; he inherited the project because of his involvement with Nezura, but it was conceived by Masaichi Nagata and was further developed by Nisan Takahashi. The only real intent that drove that first appearance of the character was "get a monster movie into theaters." Yuasa's ideas influenced the script, but they did not define the original conception of the character; the original conception of the character lacks any clear definition.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If you remove the child rescue, then the original Gamera is a destructive force that would threaten man. The friend of children only became so in his third film.

A Shin Gamera would likely be a mix of the original and Heisei. It'd be a genetically created beast that goes beyond what man intended. It'd be a symbol of how nature trumps man's attempts to control it, and the price man can pay for his mistake.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Shin Gamera embraces the superhero friend to all children aspect.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:24 pmIt'd be a symbol of how nature trumps man's attempts to control it, and the price man can pay for his mistake.
Soooo... A generic, Heisei Godzilla/early millennium plot.

Quote of the Year:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:12 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:24 pmIt'd be a symbol of how nature trumps man's attempts to control it, and the price man can pay for his mistake.
Soooo... A generic, Heisei Godzilla/early millennium plot.
Not even just Heisei and Millennium. That's literally the theme of the whole Godzilla franchise.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Maybe Gamera would teach us about how all life is precious. Except Gyaos of course.
For Emperor and Empire!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Maybe the real Shin Gamera is the friends we made along the way.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The original Gamera wasn't really child friendly. The movie itself was sure, and that psycopath kid who thought Gamera was his turtle turned big was a thing, but Gamera was still a city destroying monster who didn't care how many he slaughtered, including kids.
Agree that the Heisei is in no way, shape, or form "Shin" Gamera and I find everyone's insistence that it is annoying, but neither is Gamera the Brave really "Shin" either.

Added in 3 minutes 23 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:24 pm If you remove the child rescue, then the original Gamera is a destructive force that would threaten man. The friend of children only became so in his third film.

A Shin Gamera would likely be a mix of the original and Heisei. It'd be a genetically created beast that goes beyond what man intended. It'd be a symbol of how nature trumps man's attempts to control it, and the price man can pay for his mistake.
Gamera wasn't originally a genetically created kaiju in his first film...

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:37 am

The original Gamera wasn't really child friendly. The movie itself was sure, and that psycopath kid who thought Gamera was his turtle turned big was a thing, but Gamera was still a city destroying monster who didn't care how many he slaughtered, including kids.
Agree that the Heisei is in no way, shape, or form "Shin" Gamera and I find everyone's insistence that it is annoying, but neither is Gamera the Brave really "Shin" either.

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:24 pm If you remove the child rescue, then the original Gamera is a destructive force that would threaten man. The friend of children only became so in his third film.

I am willing to bet you an entire paycheck that you will never see a city stomping, villainous Gamera in a Shin Gamera movie.

Quote of the Year:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:38 am
Vakanai wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:37 am

I am willing to bet you an entire paycheck that you will never see a city stomping, villainous Gamera in a Shin Gamera movie.
No duh, I agree albeit for a different reason - I'm willing to bet you that there will never be a Shin Gamera movie, period.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I wonder how much it would cost to buy the license to produce a Gamera movie.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

All GOTU really needed to make it a Shin Gamera is make Asagi a couple years younger and have it be a coming-of-age story revolving around her.