Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:I saw someone bring up the point: Why would Bandai bother releasing a new Heisei Gamera figure if the franchise wasn't gonna come back in some way?
Same reason they made a completely new Ultraman vs Zaragas fight in full CGI and not do anything with it.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Anguirus wrote:I think my dream would be if the first post Monsterverse Toho G film is Godzilla vs Gamera. Would be able to "relatively" hold its own after Godzilla vs Kong.
Hmm. That feels like a good idea. After the original KKvsG, the next film was another crossover battle, Mothra vs. Godzilla. Obviously, that wound up being a massive success and is still held up as One of the Best to this day. Maybe the same thing could happen with this crossover? As for building Gamera up in his own new film, it would certainly be cool if they did, but I don't know if it's necessary; good or not it might not be very successful due to Gamera's relative obscurity and reputation for being a lame knockoff. Put him up against the biggest name in the genre, however, and that immediately gives him guaranteed widespread exposure and 'legitimacy'.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:I saw someone bring up the point: Why would Bandai bother releasing a new Heisei Gamera figure if the franchise wasn't gonna come back in some way?
Same reason they made a completely new Ultraman vs Zaragas fight in full CGI and not do anything with it.
When and where is this? Is this different to that "trailer" a few years back.
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:[
When and where is this? Is this different to that "trailer" a few years back.
No. It was the same thing.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote:
Anguirus wrote:I think my dream would be if the first post Monsterverse Toho G film is Godzilla vs Gamera. Would be able to "relatively" hold its own after Godzilla vs Kong.
Hmm. That feels like a good idea. After the original KKvsG, the next film was another crossover battle, Mothra vs. Godzilla. Obviously, that wound up being a massive success and is still held up as One of the Best to this day. Maybe the same thing could happen with this crossover? As for building Gamera up in his own new film, it would certainly be cool if they did, but I don't know if it's necessary; good or not it might not be very successful due to Gamera's relative obscurity and reputation for being a lame knockoff. Put him up against the biggest name in the genre, however, and that immediately gives him guaranteed widespread exposure and 'legitimacy'.
He's obscure enough to Western audiences that the reputation isn't there, and frankly we should stop thinking the obscurity would hold him back. Pacific Rim was new, doesn't get more obscure than didn't exist before, and the vast majority of the people who saw Rampage never even heard of the games. He doesn't need legitimacy, or Godzilla to guarantee widespread exposure. Just keep the budget reasonable ala Rampage or The Meg, get a famous celebrity in there to get butts in seats, and make a good movie. I'd argue that relying on a celebrity like Rampage and The Meg did would cement him better than vs Godzilla will. Godzilla vs Kong will be big because people know both characters. King of the Monsters, among several problems, no one outside the fandom knows enough about Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah to frankly give a damn. If Mothra and/or Rodan had a solo film to build them up first it probably would have gone better. Just going to Godzilla vs Gamera seems to be making the same mistake again. Build Gamera up and then the normies will be excited to see Godzilla vs Gamera.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Vakanai wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
He's obscure enough to Western audiences that the reputation isn't there, and frankly we should stop thinking the obscurity would hold him back. Pacific Rim was new, doesn't get more obscure than didn't exist before, and the vast majority of the people who saw Rampage never even heard of the games. He doesn't need legitimacy, or Godzilla to guarantee widespread exposure. Just keep the budget reasonable ala Rampage or The Meg, get a famous celebrity in there to get butts in seats, and make a good movie. I'd argue that relying on a celebrity like Rampage and The Meg did would cement him better than vs Godzilla will. Godzilla vs Kong will be big because people know both characters. King of the Monsters, among several problems, no one outside the fandom knows enough about Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah to frankly give a damn. If Mothra and/or Rodan had a solo film to build them up first it probably would have gone better. Just going to Godzilla vs Gamera seems to be making the same mistake again. Build Gamera up and then the normies will be excited to see Godzilla vs Gamera.
But we are talking about a Japanese film of Godzilla vs Gamera, by Toho, not a Hollywood version that would cater to western audiences. Gamera is already established in Japan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:
Vakanai wrote: When and where is this? Is this different to that "trailer" a few years back.
No. It was the same thing.
Ah. Didn't know that monster had a name.

And they definitely were planning something with it considering the date it gave at the end I think. It just fell through I guess.

Added in 10 minutes 36 seconds:
Anguirus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
But we are talking about a Japanese film of Godzilla vs Gamera, by Toho, not a Hollywood version that would cater to western audiences. Gamera is already established in Japan.
Technically the topic includes both Japanese and Hollywood reboots for the flying turtle, and there's been a lot of discussion on the Hollywood portion of the premise, so it wasn't clear to me

That said Gamera is established in Japan but he's still not that popular over there. He doesn't have the draw I think you think he does. He should still have one big modern solo (it's been a long, long time since he was last on the big screen) to pump up the crowd for a crossover. Because frankly if I was Toho, looking at where Gamera is now, and having to split profits to do a movie with him, I wouldn't take that deal. Godzilla after Shin has the possibility to make bank for a while no Gamera gimmick needed. It just isn't in Toho's interest, not unless Gamera can prove to be a bigger draw in Japan than he's been in many, many years (remember even his trilogy we all love made much less than Mothra's trilogy of the same time).

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Dang, I did not know that Gamera's trilogy sold less than Mothra's. I think part of why I want a crossover is so that Gamera could become more popular, and perhaps reboot his film series.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Anguirus wrote:Dang, I did not know that Gamera's trilogy sold less than Mothra's. I think part of why I want a crossover is so that Gamera could become more popular, and perhaps reboot his film series.
This isn't to say that the Gamera trilogy was financial unsuccessful, just not as much as Godzilla or Mothra. Though the Gamera trillogy, particularly GotU, were critical darlings. Even scoring on best Japanese films of their respective years by Kinema Junpo.
Last edited by Kaltes-Herzeleid on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anguirus wrote:Dang, I did not know that Gamera's trilogy sold less than Mothra's. I think part of why I want a crossover is so that Gamera could become more popular, and perhaps reboot his film series.
And a solo film or non-Godzilla vs film can't accomplish this why? And a crossover with Godzilla would somehow accomplish this because why? I mean look at all the Godzilla foes who are forgettable and not famous.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
This isn't to say that the Gamera trilogy was financial unsuccessful, just not as much as Godzilla or Mothra. Though the Gamera trillogy, particularly GotU, were critical darlings. Even scoring on best Japanese films of their respective years by Kinema Junpo.
True. It was certainly profitable for a B property, and has a nice critical reception. But if the critical darlings in the Gamera series can't make Goji or Mothra money, why should Toho want to make such a crossover? Especially now that Shin has proven that they can make both a critical darling of their own and make more profit doing so than Gamera ever has?

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I mean, I'd love to get a new Gamera. More Super Turtle!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Anyone else hoping Gamera get's a friend in the next movie?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote:Anyone else hoping Gamera get's a friend in the next movie?
A snake kaiju would be good. Maybe Garasharp.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gigantis wrote:Anyone else hoping Gamera get's a friend in the next movie?
I would be 150% for this. That's one thing that sets the Gamera series below the Godzilla series is that there isn't much personality variety among the monsters. Gamera is the Good Guy, everybody else is the Bad Guy, end of story. There aren't any neutral monsters, or any that switch sides, or any others who are benevolent to begin with. It would be nice to see that change.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Watching the Gamera films, the favorite contrast I have found between them and the Godzilla films is how much more simple and basic the films are....and I mean that as a total compliment.

No monster tag-teams, no father-son relationships, no mechanical doppelgangers . Gamera is the hero monster, and he faces the villain monster. I LOVE the potential swarm elements of Gamera facing multiple foes like the army of Legion and multiple smaller Gyaos.

Not saying I am against the notion of a multi-monster Gamera film where he has a comrade against an enemy, just saying that I do enjoy that up to this point, he hasn't had a buddy helping him out....I suppose his buddies are "all children" anyways :D
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Was Zaragas one of the original Ultra monsters from 1966? Please provide a picture.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

mikelcho wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
Was Zaragas one of the original Ultra monsters from 1966? Please provide a picture.
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Zaragas
Note the shells and the horn shape.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Because it was released in conjunction with GOTU's 25th anniversary.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote: Same reason they made a completely new Ultraman vs Zaragas fight in full CGI and not do anything with it.
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Zaragas
Note the shells and the horn shape.
Okay, now I remember him! Thanks!

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

As much as I want to see Gamera again I don't think it is gonna happen any time soon.