Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by Desghidorah »

I want it and, while maybe not soon, I think it is inevitable. Kadokawa Daiei knows their is a market for kaiju and heroic ones at that. Reason The Brave didn't do too good is probably much the same reason Final Wars didn't. Mid 2000s were just not a good time for kaiju films with (among other factors but I'm being brief) wall to wall Disney-Pixar releases and Studio Ghibli being arguably at one of their peaks. I note that GMK, often considered one of the highest quality and most marketable of the Millennium era Godzilla films, had an attendance about half the post-1989 Heisei films; even usually regarded as poorer outings like Vs. SpaceGodzilla. And GMK is the only Millennium Godzilla film to break 2mill in attendance.

Meanwhile the niche for a heroic kaiju is largely underused in Japanese cinema outside of the Monster'verse (kinda). Gamera has a unique draw to him that most can't replicate. And with kaiju films being somewhat popular again, I think enough time has passed that post-1990s burnout will have largely died down.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

How about if not a versus film, if Daiei allows Gamera to be a supporting monster in one of Godzilla's films? Like Mothra?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

They don't want to play second-fiddle to Toho.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anguirus wrote:How about if not a versus film, if Daiei allows Gamera to be a supporting monster in one of Godzilla's films? Like Mothra?
Why though? Gamera deserves his own films, not to become a Godzilla supporting monster like Rodan.

(Mothra's too popular to compare to Gamera, Rodan's closer)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I used to love the idea of him being in the Monsterverse, but over time, I am much more against that idea, I would prefer to see Gamera brought back in his own incarnation.

I can only imagine what a sort of 'spiritual remake' of the Heisei Trilogy could look like with the full abilities of modern Hollywood being put to use.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote:I used to love the idea of him being in the Monsterverse, but over time, I am much more against that idea, I would prefer to see Gamera brought back in his own incarnation.

I can only imagine what a sort of 'spiritual remake' of the Heisei Trilogy could look like with the full abilities of modern Hollywood being put to use.
Why not a spiritual remake of the Showa original?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Vakanai wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:I used to love the idea of him being in the Monsterverse, but over time, I am much more against that idea, I would prefer to see Gamera brought back in his own incarnation.

I just find the Heisei Trilogy to be much more compelling.

Plus, the original Showa film is sort of by-the-numbers, and we've seen modern Kaiju film play with the 'kaiju frozen in ice' thing, which was probably the most unique thing about the original Gamera outside of Gamera himself.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

I just find the Heisei Trilogy to be much more compelling.

Plus, the original Showa film is sort of by-the-numbers, and we've seen modern Kaiju film play with the 'kaiju frozen in ice' thing, which was probably the most unique thing about the original Gamera outside of Gamera himself.
Only modern frozen in ice kaiju was Ghidorah in KOTM, and Gamera is different enough I don't think that matters.

Also "paint by numbers" is weird to say about a movie with a seriously deranged child psychopath and ends with the kaiju getting shot to Mars in a rocket...

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I REVIVE THIS THREAD WITH HYPE AND IMPORTANT NEWS.

A NEW REIWA GAMERA CONCEPT HAS BEEN COMPLETED. RIGHT NOW, AS WE SPEAK
https://mobile.twitter.com/hg95_info/st ... 7412667397

Okay okay, sorry for all caps but.. oh good god my excitement is through the roof!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Wait...what dies this entail? Do we have any further details other than that this was at a Gamers Advent Festival? Is Kameko the one who did the concept? Does that mean he'll be directly involved in a new film? What do they even mean by "concept? Did he just scribble a note on a tissue? We need details! XD I'm shocked that this hasn't gotten more traction here yet
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There's not much cause for traction, yet, from what I can tell. We have very little info to go off of, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to get hyped before we know anything. This could very easily just be another false alarm.

If it's not, though....
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I'd be shocked if there aren't any plans for a Gamera Revival at this point especially with how Godzilla vs Kong's taking the world by storm. Kadokawa Daiei surely would have taken some notes from how Godzilla's making such a strong come back over the recent years and are trying to find a way to have Gamera have his own comeback sooner or later.
Last edited by kaijuguy19 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

It's true that it could be a false alarm, like the short film/trailer was, but coming out if Kaneko's mouth at an officìal event seems fairly legit and/or worth discussion, at least.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Please. Please let this be real. My heart won't take it if it isn't...

Gamera needs to come back in some form. The timing is perfect now with this whole kaiju resurgence and popularity.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

He is the one major thing this Age of Monsters is missing. Godzilla, Kong, Ultraman, and a whole range of other kaiju properties are thriving right now and look to be viable for the foreseeable future. It's great, and I'm really enjoying the ride... but it just can't feel complete without Gamera.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I dont think Gamera can survive with just a Japan only release style like in years past.

Maybe Kadakowa will play ball with China and release it there at the same time in Japan. Like it or not, China can play a huge role in how long these franchises keep going.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:13 pm I REVIVE THIS THREAD WITH HYPE AND IMPORTANT NEWS.

A NEW REIWA GAMERA CONCEPT HAS BEEN COMPLETED. RIGHT NOW, AS WE SPEAK
https://mobile.twitter.com/hg95_info/st ... 7412667397

Okay okay, sorry for all caps but.. oh good god my excitement is through the roof!
Holy crap! That’s good news and I’m very excited. But to answer the question, yes I can expect another reboot. Either it can be a Japanese reboot. For example, a film or an anime. But an American reboot, would be interesting since I feel like it would take place in the MonsterVerse
Last edited by Denis on Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'll be shocked if Gamera appears in the Monsterverse. I don't think Toho will allow it, and I've had the feeling all along that there won't be any MV films beyond GvK. Not because of lack of success, but because Toho is going to get back to making its own Godzilla films.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm I'll be shocked if Gamera appears in the Monsterverse. I don't think Toho will allow it, and I've had the feeling all along that there won't be any MV films beyond GvK. Not because of lack of success, but because Toho is going to get back to making its own Godzilla films.
Toho said in the past they want the MV to continue. So I do expect the MV to continue due to the success of GvK.