Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think it may just be a matter of time before Gamera gets a rebirth just as Godzilla has. It seems like Gamera always emerges or re-emegers on the tail end of a stretch of Godzilla films.

55 years is not one of the big, rounded "anniversary" numbers....but with 55 years and the Gamera Box Set coming, this year is as good as any to officially announce a Gamera reboot.

I think the only debate is whether or not it is a Japanese produced entry that tries to reach a high caliber of production like Shin Godzilla or a big-budget US debut.

For the love of God I don't want "Shin Gamera" and to have Gamera put through that same kind of tonal lens. I think the Heisei Trilogy should be the clear guiding light for any Gamera reboot...US or Japanese. That tone and mythology is a great one to emulate. Playing into and exploring the various myths/legends where Turtles are key figures of the mythology would be very interesting as well....maybe working in some ancient alien type lore in the same way the MonsterVerse uses Hollow Earth.

IF Gamera gets a US reboot....I would honestly prefer that he ISN'T wrapped up in the MonsterVerse. I would love to see him be separate and stand on his own and occupy his own world.

I think the DREAM A-list director would be Guillermo Del Toro. He did a very good job with Pacific Rim, so seeing him come around for a 2nd go at the Kaiju genre with something like Gamera would be pretty awesome. Plus it would almost guarantee a 1:85 aspect ratio...which I think the 'taller' ratio works better for giant monster movies than the 2:35-2:40 standard the MonsterVerse has been filmed in.

If not....then at least get someone who, if provided with a solid script, can work the 'rule of cool' enough to give us an aesthetically amazing film....like Zack Snyder. I could see a 100-110 minute Gamera film from him being a visual feast as long as they had a sharp enough screenwriter on board.

If there are child-characters that need to be incorporated, I could see them pulling from the Stranger Things or It: Chapter One casting pool. A young talent like Jacob Tremblay could work too....maybe as a character LITERALLY named "Kenny" to play on the trope.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by Gigantis »

I'm sure Gamera will be back one of these days, but unless the MonsterVerse really takes off, i just can't see him being rebooted in the U.S. If GVK, a movie that has two of the most well known kaiju in history, underperforms, why would Kadokawa send out the even lesser known monster to get rebooted? He has no chance!

In Japan, however, people do know of him. He's like the Spawn to Godzilla's Spider Man, known but not that known. I can see Kadokawa taking charge and creating a new Gamera film one of these days. They couldn't have rebooted his trademark for nothing!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I don't know when it will happen, if it'll be Japanese (most likely) or American (less likely but still possible), but yes a reboot is inevitable. Gamera is too good an IP to sit on forever, and too much time has passed for a sequel. Only question is, how long till it happens?

With,any luck the answer will be sometime this decade.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

He'll come. Gamera will come again.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I honestly feel like the ideal moment to resurrect Gamera has already come and gone. The present kaiju boom might keep chugging along, but unless there's already a movie that's being created in secret right now, it doesn't seem likely that Gamera is going to be part of it.

It might not be until Godzilla himself goes dormant again that we see another Gamera film released; that's what's happened in the Heisei and Millennium series.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I think Gamera returning is inevitable, but of course there aren't any signs for action in the immediate future. I think new Japanese movies is far more likely, so it depends on the success of Shin Ultraman and Toho's next round of Godzilla movies. If those are solid successes I'm almost certain that Gamera will try to jump on the bandwagon.

I'm not sure I want an American movie, but of course if Guillermo del Toro was involved I'd probably love it. The entire concept is a bit weirder than Godzilla, so I definitely want someone in charge who really gets it. I think an easier transition would be Gamera into an animated kids show instead of a blockbuster American film. I think that would be a good way to appeal to a young International audience and there would be a lot of potential in a Gamera toy line if done right.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that Guillermo Del Toro could do a good Hollywood version of Gamera?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LegendZilla wrote:Does anyone think that Guillermo Del Toro could do a good Hollywood version of Gamera?
I'm pretty sure he considers the original Gamera film among his favorite monster movies....and if he is any kind of self-respecting giant monster fan(we all know he is) then I'm sure he has seen and holds a high opinion of the Heisei Trilogy.

I agree that the performance of Godzilla vs Kong is key. The better it does, the more viable something like Gamera becomes.

I have no doubts that Legendary has at least considered trying to get Gamera incorporated into the Monsterverse....but I would much rather see the hopefully huge success of GvK inspire another major studio to go after a Japanese monster adaptation of their own.

It does seem like Gamera always follows after Godzilla, and almost always does things in a simpler and more succinct way...it would just seem fitting for Gamera to FINALLY get his US debut, and it would almost be ironic and fitting if it ends up better than G14.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote:Does anyone think that Guillermo Del Toro could do a good Hollywood version of Gamera?
Yes he can. But I'd rather have someone else handle Gamera.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Vakanai wrote:
Yes he can. But I'd rather have someone else handle Gamera.
I can completely get behind that notion. I love that he uses the 1:85 aspect ratio and would love to see a modern giant monster film use that aspect ratio because I think it works well for the genre.

Outside of him I'm not sure who a great go-to would be, but then there is always room to get a fresh, talented up-and-comer who happens to be incredibly passionate about Gamera.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Besides the fact that I really like Guillermo del Toro's movies, I also just plain can't think of any other top-tier creators who would be considered for a job like this who are Gamera fans. I feel like I've heard more people in the entertainment industry talking about watching Ultraman as a kid that I have heard anyone stanning for Gamera.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Angilasman wrote:Besides the fact that I really like Guillermo del Toro's movies, I also just plain can't think of any other top-tier creators who would be considered for a job like this who are Gamera fans. I feel like I've heard more people in the entertainment industry talking about watching Ultraman as a kid that I have heard anyone stanning for Gamera.
Indeed, even my dad who is quite a casual moviegoer....he knows Godzilla and he knows Ultraman. He is always asking why they don't "do a new Ultraman"....by "new" he obviously means a big budget US film.

Because of the niche nature, there is appeal and risk to any US Gamera reboot. Appeal because any ambitious, passionate filmmaker could come in and put a huge stamp on the character. In the same way that Kaneko's Trilogy is THE definitive Gamera for many people. I would like to think Kaneko's Trilogy is well regarded enough that it would at least be used as a general tonal and stylistic template for any new reboot of the character.

A big Hollywood trilogy could define Gamera in an even bigger way for an even broader global audience. There is appeal to that in a way that directing the 40th Godzilla movie MIGHT not have. To be the person/team to define Gamera's first exposure to the modern US masses is an appealing notion.

There is risk there too though. If you hire some Director to helm this thing and just give them free reign, and they aren't a Gamera fan....we could get a huge misfire from someone who simply doesn't understand the material and changes or disregards too much. G98 all over again. I like to think in the modern age that the cautionary tale of G98 would ensure any Gamera adaptation wouldn't be such a dramatic departure.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Nothing is inevitable. A new Gamera film would be wonderful, but it's just as possible that Gamera the Brave is the last we're ever going to get, unfortunately. :(

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Is streaming big over in Japan? Maybe a movie exclusive to their equivalent to Netflix would be the way to go. I don't see a theatrical Gamera movie being successful.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Really, I think the time is about as right as we can ask for to have Gamera try to go mainstream. We're in a kaiju boom, the 'gritty 'n' realistic' era seems to be tapering off and the MCU has ushered in a time when the absolutely absurd can be accepted as long as it's executed appropriately. It does mean there will have to be some humor, that Gamera's inherent silliness will need to be acknowledged at least once... but he might have a shot at success.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I think if we see Gamera again it won't be until Godzilla goes on yet another hiatus, and who knows when that'll be. Gamera: GOTU came out a year after Destoroyah, and Gamera the Brave two years after Final Wars. So we'll just have to wait and see. That great looking Arrow set can tide us over till then.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Not gonna happen at least until we know the Monsterverse is gone, but it will definitely happen eventually.
We know for sure Kadokawa hasn't forgotten the character, since they keep licensing their kaiju for action figures, toys, statues and merch; so yeah, not a matter of "if" but of "when".
Just think about it: this isn't even Gamera's longest hiatus. We're still a year shorter than the hiatus between Super Monster and Guardian of The Universe.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Destorogoji wrote:
We know for sure Kadokawa hasn't forgotten the character, since they keep licensing their kaiju for action figures, toys, statues and merch

At least this shows there is still interest in the franchise.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Destorogoji wrote: Just think about it: this isn't even Gamera's longest hiatus. We're still a year shorter than the hiatus between Super Monster and Guardian of The Universe.
That actually is pretty reassuring; but it's still sad to think that, again excluding the possibility of a secret Gamera film in production right now that gets released within a year, we're looking at a longer hiatus than the character has ever seen. If a new Gamera movie hit theaters in 2025 it will have lasted almost 20 years.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.