Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
gojira012
Interpol Agent

Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by gojira012 »

Improbable: Yes

Unlikely: True

But NEVER Impossible.

I mean we all thought Kong was impossibility. But look at him now!

What are the chances our favorite jet powered turtle coming to monsterverse?

Despite him being of the most outlandish of all?

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Please no. I'm all for another gamera movie. Hell, gamera V. Shin godzilla would be awesome!

But the monsterverse is about megafauna. MAYBE if they took away the flying saucer powers he would fit, but with all the biotechnology stuff, the mana mumbo jumbo, ETC, he just wouldn't work.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I don't know that Toho would approve.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

Nope, would never happen.
Gamera's a joke to the US because of MST3K.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The difference with Kong was that he's an recognizable cinematic icon (That also had crossover with Godzilla nearly sixty years ago may I remind you due to Toho honoring the character for being one of their creators inspirations) who began the giant monster genre and one of the inspirations for Godzilla whereas Gamera's from an almost dead franchise only barely alive because of the kaiju fandom. I admit though if anyone can revive Gamera, its definitely Legendary by getting the rights from his owners but as you said though 'unlikely but not impossible'. There's a small chance it might happen but I really wouldn't hold my breath.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Let's say somehow, SOMEHOW this was a possibility. Many aspects of Gamera will need to be removed. Just off the top of my head:
1. NO ANNOYING KIDS THAT ARE "FRIENDS" TO GAMERA. THIS WILL MAKE THE MOVIE EXTREMELY HORRIBLE
2. Gamera's flying capabilities will need to be removed
3. The infamous plot line that Gamera is a creation of the Atlantians will need to be completely removed
Long Live The King

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

^Okay I'm just going to say it again. The MonsterVerse isn't trying to be realistic in terms of real life but rather how people would react to giant monsters appearing. Honestly I see the MonsterVerse going the same route as the original Godzilla series did, started out grounded in reality (Godzilla, King Kong) before going to mystical prospects (Mothra, Shobijin), then to aliens (King Ghidorah). Judging from KotM we're probably getting mystical prospects and aliens which the former I wouldn't count as realistic, so why would Gamera an artificial bio-weapon from an ancient advanced race be any different from an supposed Goddess of earth? Just saying.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Uh.... Ermmm....My opinion No... but i'm not a a Gamera fan so.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:^Okay I'm just going to say it again. The MonsterVerse isn't trying to be realistic in terms of real life but rather how people would react to giant monsters appearing. Honestly I see the MonsterVerse going the same route as the original Godzilla series did, started out grounded in reality (Godzilla, King Kong) before going to mystical prospects (Mothra, Shobijin), then to aliens (King Ghidorah). Judging from KotM we're probably getting mystical prospects and aliens which the former I wouldn't count as realistic, so why would Gamera an artificial bio-weapon from an ancient advanced race be any different from an supposed Goddess of earth? Just saying.
just because it isn't trying to be completely realistic doesn't mean there aren't any limits? Artificial Bioweapons are insanely far off.

Its entirely possible for mothra just to be an animal who is worshipped as a goddess without any magical aspects. To say alien life is unrealistic is kind of silly, seeing as how our universe is infinite; it's a 100% guarantee that, somewhere out there, there is life. So yeah, maybe the monsterverse isn't trying to be realistic: But that doesn't mean it's going to go all out.

It would be like adding Polka-Dot to the DCEU.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:just because it isn't trying to be completely realistic doesn't mean there aren't any limits? Artificial Bioweapons are insanely far off.

Its entirely possible for mothra just to be an animal who is worshipped as a goddess without any magical aspects. To say alien life is unrealistic is kind of silly, seeing as how our universe is infinite; it's a 100% guarantee that, somewhere out there, there is life. So yeah, maybe the monsterverse isn't trying to be realistic: But that doesn't mean it's going to go all out.

I honestly don't see that. I do see Mothra being given her mystical nature. It's just not Mothra without that, that's like taking Godzilla's nuclear origin away, I mean yeah sure Legendary Godzilla is a bit different but at least they kept the whole nuclear origin thing related with him being an ancient Permian creature that feeds off of radiation and was attempted to be killed by using nukes in 1954. Also that's why I didn't say latter since I know alien life isn't unrealistic.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:^Okay I'm just going to say it again. The MonsterVerse isn't trying to be realistic in terms of real life but rather how people would react to giant monsters appearing. Honestly I see the MonsterVerse going the same route as the original Godzilla series did, started out grounded in reality (Godzilla, King Kong) before going to mystical prospects (Mothra, Shobijin), then to aliens (King Ghidorah). Judging from KotM we're probably getting mystical prospects and aliens which the former I wouldn't count as realistic, so why would Gamera an artificial bio-weapon from an ancient advanced race be any different from an supposed Goddess of earth? Just saying.
We'll see in GKotM. If my interpretation is right and we won't see aliens or mystical prospects, then it will be extremely evident that the Monsterverse is trying to be realistic in showing not only how society will react, but also the reality if a real monster like Godzilla and co. existed.
Long Live The King

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:just because it isn't trying to be completely realistic doesn't mean there aren't any limits? Artificial Bioweapons are insanely far off.

I honestly don't see that. I do see Mothra being given her mystical nature. It's just not Mothra without that, that's like taking Godzilla's nuclear origin away, I mean yeah sure Legendary Godzilla is a bit different but at least they kept the whole nuclear origin thing related with him being an ancient Permian creature that feeds off of radiation and was attempted to be killed by using nukes in 1954. Also that's why I didn't say latter since I know alien life isn't unrealistic.
I'm going to have to disagree there. Mothra, when it comes down to it, is just a huge insect. the mystical stuff isn't vital. I would love for the natives to THINK she is magic, but she doesn't need to be.

Either way, even if mothra IS mystical, she still doesn't really possess anything as outlandish as flying saucer powers(Which are somehow achieved with biological science?).

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Hokmuto wrote:We'll see in GKotM. If my interpretation is right and we won't see aliens or mystical prospects, then it will be extremely evident that the Monsterverse is trying to be realistic in showing not only how society will react, but also the reality if a real monster like Godzilla and co. existed.
I do think they will have it. With Mothra as I said in my above post, removing her mystical nature is like removing Godzilla's nuclear origin which at least with their incarnation of Godzilla, they still managed to keep his nuclear relation intact. But yes you're right, until the movie comes out, all we can do is speculate.
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I'm going to have to disagree there. Mothra, when it comes down to it, is just a huge insect. the mystical stuff isn't vital. I would love for the natives to THINK she is magic, but she doesn't need to be.

Either way, even if mothra IS mystical, she still doesn't really possess anything as outlandish as flying saucer powers(Which are somehow achieved with biological science?).
Touche.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzilla's nuclear origins and Mothra's mystical prospects are completely different in terms of realism.
Long Live The King

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I am guessing Legendary might go with more of a 1960s Mothra style, which isn't that mystical but more like Mothra being thought of as such by people on the island or wherever Mothra will originate.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

So in order to have a good movie....We must completely eliminate ALL fun and core aspects of a character?

Isn't that what DC's current movies do?

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

gojira012 wrote:So in order to have a good movie....We must completely eliminate ALL fun and core aspects of a character?

What? No. That's what would have to happen to have Gamera fit in the monsterverse: that's why I want him in his own universe, a monsterverse gamera movie wouldn't be a good one.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

gojira012 wrote:So in order to have a good movie....We must completely eliminate ALL fun and core aspects of a character?

In order to have a SUCCESSFUL movie money wise, some things (not all aspects of a character) will need to be changed. As noted by the person above, all these certain aspects of Gamera will be removed if Gamera is introduced into the Monsterverse. It will kind of mess up his character in some aspects.
Long Live The King

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Hokmuto wrote:

In order to have a SUCCESSFUL movie money wise, some things (not all aspects of a character) will need to be changed. As noted by the person above, all these certain aspects of Gamera will be removed if Gamera is introduced into the Monsterverse. It will kind of mess up his character in some aspects.

But then that's basically like 2017 movie Megazord and Goldar

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

gojira012 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:

But then that's basically like 2017 movie Megazord and Goldar
the 2017 Power Rangers didn't have a preexisting universe to fit into, did they? As far as I can tell, the designs of Megazord and Goldar were just trying to be "Cooler" without any reason other than appealing to the new audiences.

Gamera doesn't have to change: He can go wild like shin godzilla. Just not in the monsterverse.