Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by ernesth100 »

True. Gyaos is a close second due to his design alone.

If you had to choose a previous MV director to take on the concept who would you go with? I'd say Dougherty followed by Gareth.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:05 pm I don't see Godzilla vs Gamera not making a lot of money in Japan.
Gamera's still not a big money maker in Japan. Remember, his trilogy in the 90s couldn't even beat Mothra's trilogy around that time at the box office, and Gamera the Brave didn't do so well either. I could easily see Toho thinking they'd still be better off just making their own non-crossover movie rather than try and share profits with Kadakowa if Gamera still hasn't proven capable of bringing butts to seats in Japan.

Bizarrely Godzilla vs Gamera has much better odds of happening in a Hollywood MV picture than it does domestically in Japan.

Now, if you said Godzilla vs Ultraman, I could see that one happening in Japan much more easily. Ultraman is much more popular than Gamera over there, closer to Godzilla's own popularity.

(speaking only as an American who's never been to Japan and has only read the same stuff about these kaiju as everyone else here has)

Added in 2 minutes 47 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:28 pm
ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm If they do a solo first then here's to hoping they don't hold back on showing off how powerful Gamera can be. A good first enemy would be Legion. Showing that Gamera doesn't need help from humans to beat his enemies as well would be a welcome turn around. Because Christ does the MV have a problem with that.
Disagree. Legion could be what brings Gamera and Godzilla together. Legion if works if you wanted Kong to tag along as well.

If Gamera is getting a Solo first I would say go Gyaos or a new Titan, something similar to Gryphon could be cool.
You're both wrong about who the first enemy should be - Guiron or bust!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:05 pm I don't see Godzilla vs Gamera not making a lot of money in Japan.
Gamera's still not a big money maker in Japan. Remember, his trilogy in the 90s couldn't even beat Mothra's trilogy around that time at the box office, and Gamera the Brave didn't do so well either. I could easily see Toho thinking they'd still be better off just making their own non-crossover movie rather than try and share profits with Kadakowa if Gamera still hasn't proven capable of bringing butts to seats in Japan.

Bizarrely Godzilla vs Gamera has much better odds of happening in a Hollywood MV picture than it does domestically in Japan.

Now, if you said Godzilla vs Ultraman, I could see that one happening in Japan much more easily. Ultraman is much more popular than Gamera over there, closer to Godzilla's own popularity.

(speaking only as an American who's never been to Japan and has only read the same stuff about these kaiju as everyone else here has)

I'm talking a MV Godzilla vs Gamera making money in Japan. Gamera is not a major draw but his history is more well know in Japan then here so I would argue him on screen with Godzilla despite one being a much bigger star would still get people excited.

I fully agree if the MV doesn't get it we probably missed our chance of seeing Godzilla vs Gamera.

Unless Kadokawa just decides to sell Gamera to Toho at a price they can't pass up.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 pmUnless Kadokawa just decides to sell Gamera to Toho at a price they can't pass up.
At this point they might as well since Kadokawa refuses to make any moves with the character despite the time being perfect for a Gamera comeback. At least Toho is willing to do things with their monsters.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm

I'm talking a MV Godzilla vs Gamera making money in Japan. Gamera is not a major draw but his history is more well know in Japan then here so I would argue him on screen with Godzilla despite one being a much bigger star would still get people excited.

I fully agree if the MV doesn't get it we probably missed our chance of seeing Godzilla vs Gamera.

Unless Kadokawa just decides to sell Gamera to Toho at a price they can't pass up.
Oh, well, that then might be a bit more complex. On the one hand it might do better because hey two Japanese icons, on the other I heard the MV movies don't do as well in Japan because the Japanese prefer their home versions like Shin. So it still might not be a huge draw in Japan. But I don't see Toho caring to say no to it if Legendary is footing the bill - problem is, would Legendary view Gamera as worth the money to get the license in the first place?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Lmaoo, I'm just hoping if Gamera gets in here they don't chicken out in making him super strong. As strong as if not slightly(not an unfair amount of course) more powerful than Godzilla.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:44 pm Lmaoo, I'm just hoping if Gamera gets in here they don't chicken out in making him super strong. As strong as if not slightly(not an unfair amount of course) more powerful than Godzilla.
That shouldn't be too hard. His fire breath (whether flamethrower or fire balls) is comparable to Godzilla's, his turtle shell gives him an excuse to be very durable and tough, and Gamera has flight. If they can make Kong a powerhouse character, then Gamera should be no problem in doing justice whether he's in a solo or a crossover film.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:44 pm Lmaoo, I'm just hoping if Gamera gets in here they don't chicken out in making him super strong. As strong as if not slightly(not an unfair amount of course) more powerful than Godzilla.
Gamera shouldn't exceed Godzilla. If Godzilla is 100 and Kong is 90 I'd make Gamera 96 for example.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:02 pm
Gamera shouldn't exceed Godzilla. If Godzilla is 100 and Kong is 90 I'd make Gamera 96 for example.
96? Please, his power scans is over 9000! :lol:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I wouldn't mind Gamera coming over Kong but below the G-Man. It's the Godzilla MV after all and he should rightfully remain at the top.

I just dont want him to fall subject to the "heirchy effect" they have going.

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

Gamera shouldn’t be weaker in anyway, I think the power scaling between him and Godzilla, should be a Superman vs Shazam type scenario.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Shadd21 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:26 pm Gamera shouldn’t be weaker in anyway, I think the power scaling between him and Godzilla, should be a Superman vs Shazam type scenario.
I agree to this, if they were to fight they need to have equals strength and weakness

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:58 pm
Shadd21 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:26 pm Gamera shouldn’t be weaker in anyway, I think the power scaling between him and Godzilla, should be a Superman vs Shazam type scenario.
I agree to this, if they were to fight they need to have equals strength and weakness
Gamera like Kong has never been equal to Godzilla. Strong enough to win is fine for me, but none of the Titans should just run up and try to out power Godzilla blow for blow.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:13 pm
Gamera like Kong has never been equal to Godzilla. Strong enough to win is fine for me, but none of the Titans should just run up and try to out power Godzilla blow for blow.
Your right about that, maybe I was in the wrong here but you have a point, there need to be a reason why they should fight, any ideas?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 pm
Your right about that, maybe I was in the wrong here but you have a point, there need to be a reason why they should fight, any ideas?
If Gamera pops up I think the bio weapon making his an insult to nature would be enough to anger Godzilla. Maybe Godzilla interrupts Gamera hunting the Gyaos and this pisses Gamera off as well. I need a little more time to make a good Gamera MV story.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 pm

If Gamera pops up I think the bio weapon making his an insult to nature would be enough to anger Godzilla. Maybe Godzilla interrupts Gamera hunting the Gyaos and this pisses Gamera off as well.
You know I sort of have an idea for that
Actually wrote something about Gamera hunting down gyaos in my notes
Here it is: The year was 2019 on one of Jupiter’s moon, a bat like creatures name Gyaos are growing in numbers but due to their ears evolve enough to hear noise from the vacuum of space, they all hear a familiar sound, like a rocket coming closer, The weak and nimble quickly spread their wings and fly their way in space while the large and strong ones stay and distract the grand turtle, sacrificing themselves for the greater causes for their species, the old and wise white sub alphas guide the survivors to a safer area where the ones that stayed were being slaughtered by the beast. They flew far until they heard a unfamiliar call from a three headed beast telling them to come and hunt together. The pupil of the white sub alphas went from a wide to a slits and guide and rest to a different direction, to a planet that has nutrients that can help restore their population and evolve and defeat the beast that followed and hunted their species down they called Gamera, the year is now 2027 Godzilla has recover from Mechagodzilla attacked and has been dormant ever since. He wake up and sense a disturbance in the balance of natural, Gyaos were attacked France and making a new nest there, Godzilla show up and attack the Gyaos, they were weak but make up in numbers, Godzilla figures out that the 3 white sub alphas Gyaos was controlling the Gyaos, he targeted them and won, the remaining Gyaos bow down to Godzilla making him their new Alpha. Now the Gyaos are under Godzilla protection as long they did what he told them what to do, weeks past and eventually Gamera came to earth and start annihilating the Gyaos, Godzilla then Show up to defend the Gyaos from this strange beast. That’s it for now what are your thoughts?

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:56 pm True. Gyaos is a close second due to his design alone.

If you had to choose a previous MV director to take on the concept who would you go with? I'd say Dougherty followed by Gareth.
Seeing Gyaos would be pretty awesome. If I had to pick a director it would also be Dougherty. Gamera is perfect for him whether he is a fan of the turtle or not. He knows how to make an entertaining movie but he just needs to learn from his mistakes with KotM. Just remove the stupid stuff like the ORCA and don't cut right in the middle of an action packed fight and I think he's good to go.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

This. I'm sure Gamera's creators wouldn't have it any other way. Infact that's as was intended, the films were for a short time more Popular than Godzilla's.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:53 pm
This. I'm sure Gamera's creators wouldn't have it any other way. Infact that's as was intended, the films were for a short time more Popular than Godzilla's.
Gamera has never been more popular. His Showa films were more profitable at first because they had lower budgets.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Nah, Gamera works best as an underdog. But, an underdog who never gives up.

I’d scale him to Godzilla more like Thing scaled to Hulk back in the early Marvel Comics days. Hulk was clearly stronger than Ben, but Ben never quit and was still able to hang in against Hulk for a good while. What would also keep Gamera in a battle with Godzilla, along with his never quit attitude, are his flight and mana powers.

If Godzilla was a 100 strength-wise, I’d have Gamera 90-95.
Last edited by Legendary Gojira on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.