(Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Post by Chris55 »

Mechagigan wrote:Could've just been a small local thing, nothing too huge. Neither Godzilla nor Gamera really mattered as pop culture icons in '79.

Dunno about 1979 but this was in March of 1970
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Godzilla not mattering as a pop cultural icon in 1979? That is demonstrably wrong. What about the Hanna Barbera Godzilla show, Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla, the Shogun Warriors toy, the Godzilla marathons playing on UHF stations, John Belushi in a Godzilla suit, or the countless references to Godzilla in pop culture even by that time? Honestly 1976-1979 seems like the pique of Godzilla's popularity in the US. But if you're talking about Godzilla's status in '79 in Japan specifically, I have no idea.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

If the event took place in Japan, then Godzilla and Gamera's presence in American pop culture isn't really relevant. With that said, I have absolutely no idea if they were relevant or not in Japan at the time, so who knows.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I base it off the diminishing ticket sales and general lack of activity from either company, but I could be incorrect.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Chris55, Edgodzi and August direct are the only people I'd have believed, and Chris has stepped in.

I do think the franchise's history has had enough ghost stories of a similar type that didn't turn out to be true that the healthy skepticism is more than justifiable - like the damn King Kong vs. Godzilla story that still shows up in semi-credible sources to this day.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

It's real! :)

Though, it says "May 1970" on page 006 there instead of March. Shows some photos of Godzilla fighting Gorosaurus, and another of Godzilla performing his Invasion of Astro-Monster victory dance next to Gyaos. From the latest Tokusatsu Hiho vol.7, the Nakajima tribute volume.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Greatest show on earth and almost no one knows about it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

miguelnuva wrote:Greatest show on earth and almost no one knows about it.
At least we know it did happen. :D
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

And no one even bothered to take a picture of Godzilla and Gamera together it seems...

Still though, it’s great to know that this did indeed happen. I never thought I’d ever see a picture of Godzilla, Gorosaurus, and Gyaos together in the same frame, it’s a little surreal to say the least!
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Looks like the full monster cast included Godzilla, Gorosaurus, and Minilla from Toho's side, and Gamera, Space Gyaos (only referred to as "Gyaos" in the line-up), and Jiger from Daiei's side.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Not sure if these are for the same event, but here they are.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Mechagigan wrote:I base it off the diminishing ticket sales and general lack of activity from either company, but I could be incorrect.
You're probably right, but this would have been a spectacle to see regardless.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

I have no idea if this is a factual source but.
I found a website called "Barry's temple of Godzilla"
according to him
http://www.godzillatemple.com/index2.htm
" A translated interview with former suitimation actors from an old issue of XENORAMA talks about a live show the actors did where Godzilla fought and defeated Gamera. Ha, no surprise!! More info to come..."
Now this website is outdated (in parts there is a review of g'14 but the site looks like its straight out of the late 90's early 2000's) so it may not be as factual anymore and I cannot locate the article he is referring to so take this with a humongous boulder of salt.
can anyone locate the article and provide proof to the story?
Last edited by alextheburger on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ahhh, Barry’s Temple of Godzilla, that takes me back... that was one the very first Godzilla fan sites I discovered when I first stared looking around online. This would be back in like 2002.

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

it is in the Godzilla FAQ section under rumors
also can i say , it is fascinating (having got into godzilla way after that page was last updated) to see rumors saying
" It's said that a new Godzilla cartoon series is in the works. [UPDATE: Yup! Tri-Star pictures has come up with a Saturday Morning cartoon series based on the American Godzilla movie. Interestingly enough, most people seem to like it better than the movie itself....]"
that's amazing
Last edited by alextheburger on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

alextheburger wrote:it is in the Godzilla FAQ section under rumors
also can i say , it is fascinating (having got into godzilla way after that page was last updated) to see rumors saying
" It's said that a new Godzilla cartoon series is in the works. [UPDATE: Yup! Tri-Star pictures has come up with a Saturday Morning cartoon series based on the American Godzilla movie. Interestingly enough, most people seem to like it better than the movie itself....]"
that's amazing
It really is. It’s like looking back in time. Sometimes I like to go the old Rodan’s Roost and read the old CL Werner fanfics and everything. It’s just fun to look at what the fandom was like 20 years ago.
KaijuCanuck wrote:Ahhh, Barry’s Temple of Godzilla, that takes me back... that was one the very first Godzilla fan sites I discovered when I first stared looking around online. This would be back in like 2002.
TK and RR for me, I guess ca. 2004 - 2005.
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

G2000 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Ahhh, Barry’s Temple of Godzilla, that takes me back... that was one the very first Godzilla fan sites I discovered when I first stared looking around online. This would be back in like 2002.
Nice! Yeah TK, Rodan’s Roost, Barry’s Temple, Gojistomp, Godzilla Tower and KaijuHQ were my first sorta network of kaiju fandom I engaged with as a little kid. Kind of sad that TK is the only one that’s still around in a meaningful way.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Nice! Yeah TK, Rodan’s Roost, Barry’s Temple, Gojistomp, Godzilla Tower and KaijuHQ were my first sorta network of kaiju fandom I engaged with as a little kid. Kind of sad that TK is the only one that’s still around in a meaningful way.
I remember all of those from when I was little.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Barry's Temple is the one I remember, too. Long, long ago...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

miguelnuva wrote:I remember all of those from when I was little.
Kaiju Kingdom forums dude! Those were the days.