General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:54 am It'll never happen no doubt but such a crossover would be fitting.

A DC Comics (Aquaman)/Gamera crossover.

Gamera is depicted as Atlantis' most powerful creature under the commend and orders of Aquaman.

Just the idea of Aquaman on top of Gamera going into battle. Epic as skreeonk!

Honestly surprised there hadn't even been any fanart or fanfics regarding this...
Why not with Ninja Turtles?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:54 am It'll never happen no doubt but such a crossover would be fitting.

Gamera is depicted as Atlantis' most powerful creature under the commend and orders of Aquaman.

Honestly surprised there hadn't even been any fanart or fanfics regarding this...
Damn dude, Momoa Aquaman riding Gamera into battle...just write the headline about it making $1 Billion dollars right now.

Gamera in "flight mode" underwater with Aquaman commanding him, they fly in and out of the water repeatedly as necessary to combat the enemy
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

It took me a while but I just finished the Heisei Gamera trilogy and am halfway through Gamera the Brave. These are some splendid films and I wish I had got to them sooner, but I consider myself a new fan of the big turtle.
Last edited by Loganrules115 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:05 pm

Damn dude, Momoa Aquaman riding Gamera into battle...just write the headline about it making $1 Billion dollars right now.

Gamera in "flight mode" underwater with Aquaman commanding him, they fly in and out of the water repeatedly as necessary to combat the enemy
I don't care much for the DCU, but I would pay to see that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Nothing big but the new Mountain Dew packaging apparently features a monster that resembles Gamera. :D

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I will be honest, I am most certainly surprised that despite having a massive increase in kaiju content worldwide, it has almost exclusively been Godzilla related (with a tad bit of PR). I would have thought there would have been more “copycats” (for a lack of a better term) by now, but outside of that dead Kaiju flick, some indie films, that new Kaiju tv show, there hasnt really been anything new (or in Gameras case dormant) to try and cash in. I would have thought more would have happened by now, hopefully shin ultra man proves successful and changes that.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

It really is shame that Gamera hasn't resurfaced within the last 8 years. That one 2015 concept trailer for a new movie was so incredible. There's good material to work with, but perhaps Kadokawa believes there isn't enough room for both Godzilla and Gamera these days.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It may be a case where they're afraid Gamera wouldn't compete well with Godzilla and are waiting until Godzilla cools down a bit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Find it incredibly sad that Gamera isn’t having a New movie in production or there is one in production and we don’t know about it, but giant monsters has became more popular as it is right now and just find it depressing that Gamera is Left Behind, Really do hope to see that flying turtle get a new movie
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon May 16, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

You just gotta believe, bros.
Resized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:22 pm It may be a case where they're afraid Gamera wouldn't compete well with Godzilla and are waiting until Godzilla cools down a bit.
Or maybe they dont see Gamera as a marketable character anymore.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:57 am
edgaguirus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:22 pm It may be a case where they're afraid Gamera wouldn't compete well with Godzilla and are waiting until Godzilla cools down a bit.
Or maybe they dont see Gamera as a marketable character anymore.
This. I’m a big Gamera fan but the simple fact of the matter is he’s too niche.

I think if there’s any hope of a new project for him it would be animation. If that does well they could maybe use that project’s success to springboard into a new feature film.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:32 amI think if there’s any hope of a new project for him it would be animation. If that does well they could maybe use that project’s success to springboard into a new feature film.
Perhaps in a style similar to, say, Studio Mir, Powerhouse, or DC's direct-to-DVD films.

I wonder what studio would be perfect, as well as what company to distribute.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Should and if at any chance Gamera ever makes a comeback. On top of returning foes like Gyaos, Legion, Iris, Barugon and Zigra. I'd also like to see more kaiju foes based on mythical creatures such as the Yamata-no-Orochi to tie into Gamera's Heisei origin which they should stick with as it fits him best. On top of that, scrapped monsters as well like Garasharp.

I'd also give Gamera his own ally, a kirin/qilin based kaiju and reason for that is given their benevolent nature in Chinese/Japanese myths. Basically be his Anguirus/ Legendary Mothra in terms of relationship.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:25 am Should and if at any chance Gamera ever makes a comeback. On top of returning foes like Gyaos, Legion, Iris, Barugon and Zigra. I'd also like to see more kaiju foes based on mythical creatures such as the Yamata-no-Orochi to tie into Gamera's Heisei origin which they should stick with as it fits him best. On top of that, scrapped monsters as well like Garasharp.

I'd also give Gamera his own ally, a kirin/qilin based kaiju and reason for that is given their benevolent nature in Chinese/Japanese myths. Basically be his Anguirus/ Legendary Mothra in terms of relationship.
I am thinking giving him a white tiger and/or azure dragon for allies.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The Heisei trilogy was a huge smash. The IP has potential, you'd be surprised how many people fw Gamera.
But I think it's inevitable that he gets a new shot soon.
Shin Ultraman is raking in big bucks, and the OG Kamen Rider gets a crack at the box office next year. We also have that mystery Toho movie from the Always dude in the pipeline, plus new Monsterverse content. While I think it would have been conducive to do something with the live action tease a few years back, there's still time to strike while the iron is hot. Tokusatsu seems to be heading towards a heavy Shows influence, I think a movie like Gamera the Brave would do great in this climate. I'd say we're ripe for a Showa style Gamera again.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:53 am I'd say we're ripe for a Showa style Gamera again.
Fuck yeah. I'm game for that.
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

All I ask is they keep his Atlantean origin as an ancient bio-weapon. It's the origin I feel fits Gamera most and differs him from Godzilla.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed May 25, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:23 am All I ask is they keep his Atlantean origin as an ancient bio-weapon. It's the origin I feel fits Gamera most and differs him from Godzilla.
Ehh, I think Kadokawa should be allowed to experiment with his origin story. If they kept him with the Atlantean bio-weapon beginnings then I think its just gonna make people ask "Well why didn't they just make a full blown follow up to the Heisei films then?"

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Go full Ultraman tier with it and have him be brought into existence by the collective imaginations of children.
Resized Image